• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Suspension: Touring and Sports options

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Anyone that has driven a Evora GT410 and the Emira Sport made a comparison between the two? I don't believe I have seen it in the drive review thread. I am sure Tom will have this covered when he goes for his mega test drives later on next month.
I have driven a U.S. spec Evora GT and Emira with Sport suspension hard. Damping feels about the same. I would estimate that spring rates are slightly less on Emira but can't be 💯 on that. They were VERY similar in suspension but Emira had noticeably more grip at high speed cornering and improved transitional stability.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Is it hard to question them, in this day and age?
I know they have a good reputation, but other companies have caught up in the 15 odd years that Lotus has not developed a new car. Do we not think Porsche and others have not spent more money developing their steering and suspension than the whole cost of the Lotus factory? Mclaren have taken most of Lotus's engineers in the last 10 years and some then left and went to start Zenos too didn't they?
I dont think there is this mystery or magic anymore, things that ONLY a Lotus can do. Lotus would like us to think that, but most of us who have driven all breads of cars and most journalists who have driven the Emira have criticisms of the handling. Not many are saying its so much better than its competitors...... Even the steering, Harry delights driving the porsche AND the mclaren, in fact I would say he prefers the mclaren over everything including the Lotus in terms of steering.
Dont forget you have the down side of a stiff rack at low speeds, something you dont have with other cars.... Now I like a firm rack as much as the next man, but there are limits... you need some softness also.... Maybe lost on some..
It is what it is, but more choice is not always a good thing.....
Have you driven the Emira? It's magic, at least at the Hethel track. Also, it seemed slightly more assisted with hydraulic steering than Evora GT to me. Easy to park. Definitely a more dailyable sports car than Evora GT and on par with Cayman GTS but way more accomplished in the suspension, ride and handling department. No exaggeration on my part on that one.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have driven a U.S. spec Evora GT and Emira with Sport suspension hard. Damping feels about the same. I would estimate that spring rates are slightly less on Emira but can't be 💯 on that. They were VERY similar in suspension but Emira had noticeably more grip at high speed cornering and improved transitional stability.
Lotus say Evora GT (UK GT410 Sport) and Emira Sport are very similar. Emira has a wider front track, bigger front wheels and (I think) slightly wider tyres, hence the grippier high speed cornering.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just to add - the Sports suspension is not stiff - at all - It is softer than my Ferrari's and C63's.

Either way, on either suspension, the car seems to be on magnetic rails around corners at speed and nothing seems to unsettle it at all in Sports, so Touring will be similar.

As people may know, I am not precious about people driving my car. I am near Weybridge and if anybody needs to test Sports suspension then I am happy to help.
I have even told Jamie at B&C to let me know if somebody wants my car down there.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think Lotus should have split the difference between tour and sport, offering just 1 setup. However, given the two options, I feel sport makes more sense for people who can't decide between the two, like me.

Touring is more practical but sport will offer more feedback. I felt that sport was very firm over rough roads, almost too firm, but it wasn't. Honestly it felt perfect. I wouldn't want to dull any of the road / steering feedback for more compliance. I'd prefer to be on the edge of sportiness vs. additional comfort in a vehicle like this, opting for the more raw/extreme setup. And dodging potholes like you're heating up tires in a race car can be quite fun too.

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I test drove the touring and that’s as firm as I’d want it. Anything else on British roads is less than ideal. I have an mx5 with firmer suspension and it’s good on flat roads but any imperfection sucks

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is my daily driver. I want as much comfort as possible within the formula. Touring makes the most sense to me. This is why FE was attractive to me, being loaded with features. All of this is within the context of it being a Lotus and not a Lexus.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I really need to have a go at the tour suspension to feel the difference for myself. Knowing that it’s just a slight increase in spring rate and some increased low speed compression that comprises of the entire tour vs sport package. There shouldn’t be a wild difference between the two.

This forum and various car reviews like Harry makes it sound like they are worlds apart from each other.

It doesn’t make any sense.

You should notice a sharper initial turn in for feel, and some more body motion over lumpy roads — and that’s it?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I noticed a discernible difference BUT, as mentioned before, it could be that they are more extreme setups due to inconsistency. It is possible, nee likely, that there a soft sport out there that is the same as a firmer touring.
You'd think it would be an exact science but I suspect not.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have driven both and there is a discernible difference that can be felt within a very short distance. Cant say I noticed much difference on turn in, that didn’t shout out to me as a difference. I thought there was clearly a difference in the stiffness. The sport was a bit more ”jittery“ under normal road conditions where as tour was just a bit smoother. On a smooth track / road you would probably be less impacted. Harry was pretty spot on I think. Now I have a few miles on my tour spec car it’s definitely no hovercraft - it’s connected to the road.
If Lotus had called the two set ups Track and Sports then I don’t think we would be having these discussions.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have driven both and there is a discernible difference that can be felt within a very short distance. Cant say I noticed much difference on turn in, that didn’t shout out to me as a difference. I thought there was clearly a difference in the stiffness. The sport was a bit more ”jittery“ under normal road conditions where as tour was just a bit smoother. On a smooth track / road you would probably be less impacted. Harry was pretty spot on I think. Now I have a few miles on my tour spec car it’s definitely no hovercraft - it’s connected to the road.
If Lotus had called the two set ups Track and Sports then I don’t think we would be having these discussions.
It felt to me like the Sport had a slightly different, more aggressive alignment than the Tour. Ie, more than just damping or spring rates. I can't claim it's down to Cup 2's vs Goodyear's either but I am sure that's part of the lateral stability equation given sidewalls differences.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I may have to take all the reviewers' words as far as the manual transmission but most likely, I will not be able to drive an Emira with a sports suspension. The car my dealership is getting will have an auto transmission and a touring suspension.
A former coworker who is an avid cyclist, recorded this video about some of the roads in San Diego. It is rather lengthy, but you can slide through it to see some of what I see here in some areas.
I think I'd be happy with either suspension, but my wife would almost certainly prefer the touring. Thankfully, I have plenty of time to decide. (3rd quarter of 2024?)

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I may have to take all the reviewers' words as far as the manual transmission but most likely, I will not be able to drive an Emira with a sports suspension. The car my dealership is getting will have an auto transmission and a touring suspension.
A former coworker who is an avid cyclist, recorded this video about some of the roads in San Diego. It is rather lengthy, but you can slide through it to see some of what I see here in some areas.
I think I'd be happy with either suspension, but my wife would almost certainly prefer the touring. Thankfully, I have plenty of time to decide. (3rd quarter of 2024?)
Looks like race track quality to me, come to South Bristol UK... you will leave with loose teeth lol

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Have you driven the Emira? It's magic, at least at the Hethel track. Also, it seemed slightly more assisted with hydraulic steering than Evora GT to me. Easy to park. Definitely a more dailyable sports car than Evora GT and on par with Cayman GTS but way more accomplished in the suspension, ride and handling department. No exaggeration on my part on that one.
Yes I have driven it, all day on and off at the track aslo. You cannot compare it with a Cayman in terms of luggae space or even the convertible 718, I'd say those cars give at least 30-40% more space and its far more usable space. ie no 20kg weight limts behind the seats.
Its a good car..its not a great car..its a good car, maybe very good.... However, it has the advantage that porsche stopped developing the 718 around 8 years ago, otherwise it would be in big trouble. So make hey hay while the sun lasts.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes I have driven it, all day on and off at the track aslo. You cannot compare it with a Cayman in terms of luggae space or even the convertible 718, I'd say those cars give at least 30-40% more space and its far more usable space. ie no 20kg weight limts behind the seats.
Its a good car..its not a great car..its a good car, maybe very good.... However, it has the advantage that porsche stopped developing the 718 around 8 years ago, otherwise it would be in big trouble. So make hey hay while the sun lasts.
Different horses for courses I guess. Curious as to your take on the Throttle House review? I found it largely consistent with my take away after driving it.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I didn’t notice any mention of whether the throttle house Emira test car was a sport or touring??

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I chose SPORTS, because I think the SPORTS will be more comfortable than my HKS coilovers kit. Also, there's a big chance I'll replace it with an aftermarket coilovers kit, OHLINS for example. ;)

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The sport was a bit more ”jittery“ under normal road conditions where as tour was just a bit smoother.

That jitter is road feedback. So the question is how much is preferred? Just as tour doesn't seem excessively floaty, sport doesn't seem excessively harsh. Both have merit.

I do feel that the "jitteryness", combined with the noise, shifting and steering adds to the sporting experience. It gives more without giving too much, although the rebuttal that it gives more than necessary is also valid, based on conditions / usage.

Which brings me to my final thought. Potential regrets... Personally, If I opted for sport and found it was a little too firm at times, I'd be annoyed over rough stretches yet would take solace knowing that sport is the more capable setup offering more feel. That's the price of being exotic. Remedies would include extra vigilance, slowing down and detours worst case.

If I got the tour and found it a little too soft at times, I'd be bothered that I was missing out on feedback and ever so tighter body control, thus spoiling the racecar fantasy. Potential devastation with no convienient remedy.