Struggling with engine option...hoping for some input

Ronin

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here and excited for the Emira. Have been debating which engine to go with. I was first thinking the V6 over the the I4 as I was thinking the Toyota engine would be the more solid "reliable" choice. The thing is, I also know Mercedes makes some pretty stout engines as well so I wanted to ask the member of this forum who I know are more knowledge than I am, which do they think would give the least amount of issues/problems. FYI...if I went with the I4, I would not plan on modding it for more power. I plan on keeping both engines stock.

Thank you!

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The simplest answer: if you want a manual, you have to choose the V6. If you want dual-clutch auto, get the i4.

They're both monster engines, and each has advantages over the other. I tend to potter around town and rarely get near readline, so the earlier torque curve of the V6 is the one I went for. The i4 is lighter with newer tech, and will likely be the pinnacle of ICE technology (now that manufacturers are moving to electric).

Perhaps the manual V6 will hold more of its value? I'm not sure... but neither engine is a bad choice.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here and excited for the Emira. Have been debating which engine to go with. I was first thinking the V6 over the the I4 as I was thinking the Toyota engine would be the more solid "reliable" choice. The thing is, I also know Mercedes makes some pretty stout engines as well so I wanted to ask the member of this forum who I know are more knowledge than I am, which do they think would give the least amount of issues/problems. FYI...if I went with the I4, I would not plan on modding it for more power. I plan on keeping both engines stock.

Thank you!
It was not a question in my mind because of the manual transmission. It’s a Lotus. The whole point of a lotus, what makes them so desirable, is legendary driver engagement. A manual box is such a huge part of that. ESPECIALLY considering this is the last ever manual lotus? (Assuming they never put a manual in an EV)

If you want reliability, all I can tell you is that this Toyota engine has been powering lotus vehicles with very few issues for many years now. Lotus knows it well, and it’s proven.

The AMG is, at best, unknown. Lotus has modified it, so you can’t really look at data from the merc applications of the engine and expect it to be entirely relevant.

So for me, I never considered the i4.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thank you!

I found this article interesting. Just talks about the I4. Its probably been posted on the forum in other places.