• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Speed limiter, cruise control and ADAS

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If you were never going to crash you wouldn’t need seatbelts, or ABS, or crumple zones. Do you snip your seatbelts and disable these in your cars?

Why is this even a conversation? You’re the safest best driver in the world and you only drive on roads with other safest best drivers in the world - good for you, switch them off.

I’d like them in my car because I’ve been in situations where they’ve come in handy (like an idiot seeing you indicating then speeding up because he suddenly realises he’s in the wrong lane for his exit).
And in this case it was the little light that made you aware, or you actually SAW them because you're an active driver aware of what's around you? I'm not opposed to some of the added safety electronics in modern cars, but for a pure drivers car, the fact that you have to actively DRIVE it like an analog car kinda makes me happy.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I too am slightly disappointed with the absence of blind-spot mirrors. But I don't care much about adaptive cruise or lane-changing assist🤷‍♂️In fact I just spent a week driving in a Kuga and it annoyed the bleep out of me.

I also thought the V6FE came *only* with *rear* parking sensors? I was also concerned about it not having *front* sensors. So which is it? Can anyone confirm it does in fact have both front and rear parking sensors?
This is from Lotus and shows what the FE is supposed to include. There is no mention of blind spot detection being included in the mirrors. The white VP 007 car that recently was being shown in previews, shows that feature in the side view mirrors though, so it's something they're working with. Whether they'll be able to include it or not in the V6 FE remains to be seen. Hopefully they can, but I'm not expecting it. If it's there great, if not, then back to the old-school technique of looking over my shoulder and checking the mirrors myself.

Keep in mind that with any pre-production, pre-release item, manufacturers always have that small disclaimer somewhere that says something like "Specifications and features subject to change without notice". So they could include something that wasn't mentioned before, or not include something that was. C'est la vie.

fb_img_1632085981105-jpg.1297442.jpeg

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The white VP 007 car that recently was being shown in previews, shows that feature in the side view mirrors though, so it's something they're working with. Whether they'll be able to include it or not in the V6 FE remains to be seen. Hopefully they can, but I'm not expecting it.
Bear in mind VP007 is a validation car and a test bed for ADAS, so having blind spot alert lights in the side mirrors on that car just means it's being tested. It's not a feature on the production V6 FE, that's already been confirmed.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
And in this case it was the little light that made you aware, or you actually SAW them because you're an active driver aware of what's around you? I'm not opposed to some of the added safety electronics in modern cars, but for a pure drivers car, the fact that you have to actively DRIVE it like an analog car kinda makes me happy.

What if it was a daily driver in the city, what would be your thoughts on ADAS for the Emira?

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What if it was a daily driver in the city, what would be your thoughts on ADAS for the Emira?
Mine will be exactly that... the better part of my life has been spent without those things, so they're not something I've ever come to rely on or even pay much attention to. I admit liking the collision warning and emergency braking, but again... if I'm not distracted (as I shouldn't be) no worries. In a previous car that had it, I found myself a little more apt to fiddle with my phone while driving tbh... knowing I had a failsafe. Don't plan on driving the Emira that way!

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think I have been over thinking it, but how does lane assist work with a hydraulic steering rack? It would be simple for electric steering. Maybe that’s why FE don’t have it, maybe it needs extra hardware.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's one reason why it hasn't got it on the V6 FE. They've got electro-hydraulic steering for the AMG-engined cars, so it's simpler.

Remember they said the white VP007 car was an ADAS development car and was a V6. So my hunch is they're working on adding the electro-hydraulic steering for the V6 Base, or are working on some other solution that works with hydraulic-only.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That's one reason why it hasn't got it on the V6 FE. They've got electro-hydraulic steering for the AMG-engined cars, so it's simpler.

Remember they said the white VP007 car was an ADAS development car and was a V6. So my hunch is they're working on adding the electro-hydraulic steering for the V6 Base, or are working on some other solution that works with hydraulic-only.
That’s one advantage of FE V6 without ADAS, without more things to go wrong….. 🤔

Weyland

Reaction score
That’s one advantage of FE V6 without ADAS, without more things to go wrong….. 🤔
ADAS is very useful, but it's also a pain in the arse! If you're unlucky enough to need a new windscreen, ADAS needs to be recalibrated - this can't be done by a mobile repairer. If you make changes to the car that affect the geo in anyway, it may also need recalibrating.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also don't see how ACC or collision detection braking could work with a manual transmission. The computer has to have full control over the transmission for those features to work.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also don't see how ACC or collision detection braking could work with a manual transmission. The computer has to have full control over the transmission for those features to work.

My Isuzu ute has auto braking, despite being the base model and a manual. If it thinks I’m about to hit something it jams on the brakes, bugger the gear you’re in. If it stalls the engine it doesn’t seem to care.

It also has blind spot detection and lane keep assist (the latter is often wrong and will beep at me even if I stay in the lines). Why the Emira doesn’t have blind spot mirror indicators I don’t know.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My Isuzu ute has auto braking, despite being the base model and a manual. If it thinks I’m about to hit something it jams on the brakes, bugger the gear you’re in. If it stalls the engine it doesn’t seem to care.

It also has blind spot detection and lane keep assist (the latter is often wrong and will beep at me even if I stay in the lines). Why the Emira doesn’t have blind spot mirror indicators I don’t know.
Apparently from what I understand, the chip set that controls all the ADAS functions wasn't compliant with some regulation that's in effect from this year forward, and Lotus couldn't get the updated chip set that was in time to include it in the FE. They'll probably have that sorted out by next year, as evident by the VP 007 car, and photos of test cars out on the roads testing the ADAS system functions.

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I keep seeing the V6 Manual pre-prod cars and tooling samples (especially in the latest set of reviews), with all the adaptive cruise buttons on the steering wheel. I recognise them straight out of the polestar 2 I had for a while. I know there's some mixed opinions on ACC, but I'm hopeful that there's still a chance of having it on our first edition cars. Has anyone heard anything new, recently that's different from what we've been told so far? I know the buttons could just be a red herring and mean nothing, but one can only hope....

Pic from Evo's review showing the wheel:
2022 Lotus Emira review June 22-7-Enhanced.png

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I know the buttons could just be a red herring
We have been told umpteen times that there is no ACC but, ha, this probably means there will be..

I suspect the thing is that, due to the delays we have had, that the ACC might actually be realistic but I doubt we will see it until 2023 myself. It may not have been tested enough in situ to make it viable.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I keep seeing the V6 Manual pre-prod cars and tooling samples (especially in the latest set of reviews), with all the adaptive cruise buttons on the steering wheel. I recognise them straight out of the polestar 2 I had for a while. I know there's some mixed opinions on ACC, but I'm hopeful that there's still a chance of having it on our first edition cars. Has anyone heard anything new, recently that's different from what we've been told so far? I know the buttons could just be a red herring and mean nothing, but one can only hope....

Pic from Evo's review showing the wheel:View attachment 6325

I found a handy link on the Lync & Co site that describes each steering wheel button:

https://www.lynkco.com/en/help/car-guide/----phev/category:Phone/topic:Driver_display_controls

I also discovered that some Polestars were sold without the package that included adaptive cruise control. In that case, the buttons that increase and decrease distance were simply disabled.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Most likely that’s a red herring and the standard Lynk/Polestar button set has been used rather than engineer an ACC-less version. As Johnson says, the ACC buttons just won’t do anything.

Definitely no ACC on V6 FE was what I was told in April and no suggestion it’s changed.

• Useful
Reactions: DrD

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Most likely that’s a red herring and the standard Lynk/Polestar button set has been used rather than engineer an ACC-less version. As Johnson says, the ACC buttons just won’t do anything.

Definitely no ACC on V6 FE was what I was told in April and no suggestion it’s changed.
Hope... Quashed.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I was going to be disappointed by this as it seems lazy. But I have NAV Button on my Yaris that does nothing so I will shut up 😆