• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: šŸ† May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Speed limiter, cruise control and ADAS

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Doesnā€™t work when youā€™re merging onto a highway. Just saying
Trying to picture thisā€¦ If a driver is relying on a yellow triangle on a side view mirror when merging onto a highway, I do not want to be on that highway when that driver is merging onto itā€¦

What happened to VFR driving?

#ForTheAnalog

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Trying to picture thisā€¦ If youā€™re relying on a yellow triangle on a side view mirror when merging onto a highway, I do not want to be on that highway when youā€™re merging onto itā€¦

#ForTheAnalog
Trying to picture thisā€¦ If a driver is relying on a yellow triangle on a side view mirror when merging onto a highway, I do not want to be on that highway when that driver is merging onto itā€¦

#ForTheAnalog
Thatā€™s no different to saying - if you rely on seatbelts to be safe in a car I wouldnā€™t want to be in a car with you. Should we then not wear seatbelts because we know how to drive.

Itā€™s an assistance tool, the intention is not to rely on it but to have it as a extra layer of security. Itā€™s one thing to know how to drive but you canā€™t advocate for people changing lanes at an exit or not monitoring their blind spots.

This happens very often and as road speeds are relatively high accidents can be fairly serious.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Thatā€™s no different to saying - if you rely on seatbelts to be safe in a car I wouldnā€™t want to be in a car with you. Should we then not wear seatbelts because we know how to drive.

Itā€™s an assistance tool, the intention is not to rely on it but to have it as a extra layer of security. Itā€™s one thing to know how to drive but you canā€™t advocate for people changing lanes at an exit or not monitoring their blind spots.

This happens very often and as road speeds are relatively high accidents canā€™t be fairly serious.
I rely on seatbelts. If the yellow triangle is relied on (needed) there is a problem.
I love my little yellow triangles on my Jeep, which has arguably the best visibility of any vehicle due to all the windows, but Iā€™m not relying on the dang thing.
Itā€™s a nice to have. Not a must have.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

This happens very often and as road speeds are relatively high accidents can be fairly serious.
But if you are looking over your shoulder you don't need a back upšŸ¤·

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
But if you are looking over your shoulder you don't need a back upšŸ¤·
If you were never going to crash you wouldnā€™t need seatbelts, or ABS, or crumple zones. Do you snip your seatbelts and disable these in your cars?

Why is this even a conversation? Youā€™re the safest best driver in the world and you only drive on roads with other safest best drivers in the world - good for you, switch them off.

Iā€™d like them in my car because Iā€™ve been in situations where theyā€™ve come in handy (like an idiot seeing you indicating then speeding up because he suddenly realises heā€™s in the wrong lane for his exit).

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I used to live in southern California. Freeway combat mentality teaches you a few things. If you want to go to the left, turn on your right signal; when everybody hurries over there to block you, then you can go left.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For me the 4 big things are a car that looks like this, sounds like this, and drives like this with a manual transmission. I don't particularly care what $30k cars have that this one doesn't, because they don't have what this car has. If the Emira didn't have the big 4, it wouldn't matter if it had all the other gadgets; I wouldn't be buying one.
Point well made šŸ‘

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If you were never going to crash you wouldnā€™t need seatbelts, or ABS, or crumple zones. Do you snip your seatbelts and disable these in your cars?

Why is this even a conversation? Youā€™re the safest best driver in the world and you only drive on roads with other safest best drivers in the world - good for you, switch them off.

Iā€™d like them in my car because Iā€™ve been in situations where theyā€™ve come in handy (like an idiot seeing you indicating then speeding up because he suddenly realises heā€™s in the wrong lane for his exit).
Complete non argument. Not even comparable.
But you are correct, no point discussing. Especially as we aren't getting them

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
BSM was been the main and only thing I complained about since finding out the FE didn't get ADAS. Since I'm not getting an FE, I'm hoping the base will have it offered. But I do agree the awkward fitment of the giant flat wart on the front bumper isn't appealing. Hoping they can improve that over these next couple years.

In a car with low visibility, like the Emira, having that extra warning is nice. I hated not having it in my last C7 (where it isn't even an option) but with my second one, I've just resigned myself to dealing with it and learning to work around it because I love the rest of the car. Heck, I'll just consider it practice for my Emira šŸ˜

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
BSM was been the main and only thing I complained about since finding out the FE didn't get ADAS. Since I'm not getting an FE, I'm hoping the base will have it offered. But I do agree the awkward fitment of the giant flat wart on the front bumper isn't appealing. Hoping they can improve that over these next couple years.

In a car with low visibility, like the Emira, having that extra warning is nice. I hated not having it in my last C7 (where it isn't even an option) but with my second one, I've just resigned myself to dealing with it and learning to work around it because I love the rest of the car. Heck, I'll just consider it practice for my Emira šŸ˜
Anything that helps me in avoiding a accident is welcome šŸ™. I have had my share of accidents and thankfully no one has been hurt. I would prefer to avoid them all togetherā€¦
Exotic cars are great fun, but they do have a few downfalls and one of them is fixing them after accidentsā€¦
So in conclusion; anything we get that helps to stop potentially hazards is welcomeā€¦. I wish everyone long and safe drives šŸ˜Š.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Do we know whether the base spec i4 will get ADAS as standard or not? I donā€™t really want it if I go for base spec, but not an issue if itā€™s standard kit.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not yet. Specifications and options pricing for Base Edition are due to be published in September.

Iā€™m guessing it will be a cost option. Ongoing chip shortages across the industry may result in it not being available at all, at least initially.

Some parts of ADAS may have to be fitted as standard in some markets due to local regulations. For example the more sophisticated speed limiter will be required as standard in the EU in a year or two.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just saying šŸ˜‡

I made this adjustment this morning. You know it's the little things in life. You think you have a lot of stuff figured out but then this comes along. This is incredible for interstate driving. Gonna teach everyone I know to do this.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I made this adjustment this morning. You know it's the little things in life. You think you have a lot of stuff figured out but then this comes along. This is incredible for interstate driving. Gonna teach everyone I know to do this.
Glad you like it, good isnt it. I was same when i was taught it. We don't need driver aids. Life is getting too easy and I'm getting soft šŸ˜Œ

J_J

Reaction score
... on a car that does come with front and rear parking sensors ...

I too am slightly disappointed with the absence of blind-spot mirrors. But I don't care much about adaptive cruise or lane-changing assistšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøIn fact I just spent a week driving in a Kuga and it annoyed the bleep out of me.

I also thought the V6FE came *only* with *rear* parking sensors? I was also concerned about it not having *front* sensors. So which is it? Can anyone confirm it does in fact have both front and rear parking sensors?

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I too am slightly disappointed with the absence of blind-spot mirrors. But I don't care much about adaptive cruise or lane-changing assistšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøIn fact I just spent a week driving in a Kuga and it annoyed the bleep out of me.

I also thought the V6FE came *only* with *rear* parking sensors? I was also concerned about it not having *front* sensors. So which is it? Can anyone confirm it does in fact have both front and rear parking sensors?
It has front and rear sensors. As well as blind spot monitoring. Happy days šŸ˜Š

J_J

Reaction score
It has front and rear sensors. As well as blind spot monitoring. Happy days šŸ˜Š
Wait what? Where does that info come from? Wasn't this entire thread about how it doesn't have BSM? I'm so confused šŸ˜‚