Speculation: FE I4 will have 400HP and 480NM?

John walker

Reaction score
I currently reside in china, and I would like to clarify some of the details about the engine.
It is most likely that the 3.5 v6 will not be imported to china.
instead the Chinese market will get a tuned i4 with 400hp and 480nm for their first edition
the price of this car will be 850,000 RMB in pounds that will be 90,000
these figures are off the official lotus site in china.
they have also claimed on the website that this first edition comes with a re-configured sports chassis, aswell as front and back ap racing breaks, and blistein shock absorbers.
I'm not sure if these are also standard with the normal version, but thats what the website says about the FE Emira
hope this helps!

Last edited:

John walker

Reaction score
I would also like to add, that lotus has upgraded the exhaust system for the i4.
so fingers crossed it sounds good!

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently reside in china, and I would like to clarify some of the details about the engine.
It is most likely that the 3.6 v6 will not be imported to china.
instead the Chinese market will get a tuned i4 with 400hp and 480nm for their first edition
the price of this car will be 850,000 RMB in pounds that will be 90,000
these figures are off the official lotus site in china.
they have also claimed on the website that this first edition comes with a re-configured sports chassis, aswell as front and back ap racing breaks, and blistein shock absorbers.
I'm not sure if these are also standard with the normal version, but thats what the website says about the FE Emira
hope this helps!
Thanks for the information, sounds like the i4 surprise @TomE alluded to. Would be curious to have the i4 FE with different outputs for different markets...or maybe not?! Who knows...

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, sounds like the i4 surprise @TomE alluded to. Would be curious to have the i4 FE with different outputs for different markets...or maybe not?! Who knows...
I for one in the UK wanting an i4 wouldn't be happy if mine made 360bhp when it's available with 400bhp elsewhere.

I'd much prefer the idea of it with 400+

Although it's been said previously they didn't discuss power output on their tour so I don't think that is the big surprise?

Reactions: Rob

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I for one in the UK wanting an i4 wouldn't be happy if mine made 360bhp when it's available with 400bhp elsewhere.

Although it's been said previously they didn't discuss power output on their tour so I don't think that is the big surprise?

It will be (a surprise) depending on what the i4 costs relative to the V6...

IanO

Reaction score
It’s quite common to have 2 levels of power from an engine, with the high power one selling at a premium. It seems clear to me that Lotus are going for 2 power levels, 360ps and 400ps. In all markets the low power variant is the i4, for the high power variant it will be the i4 for China and the V6 for the rest of the world due to the high tax in China for cars over 2.0l. If you are hoping your i4 in Europe will come with 400ps as a bonus I suspect you are going to be disappointed, Lotus have been quite clear in all their communications that it will be 360ps.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s quite common to have 2 levels of power from an engine, with the high power one selling at a premium. It seems clear to me that Lotus are going for 2 power levels, 360ps and 400ps. In all markets the low power variant is the i4, for the high power variant it will be the i4 for China and the V6 for the rest of the world due to the high tax in China for cars over 2.0l. If you are hoping your i4 in Europe will come with 400ps as a bonus I suspect you are going to be disappointed, Lotus have been quite clear in all their communications that it will be 360ps.
Not for the same model designation no. What's common is having slightly detuned version a rung down the model line with a separate model designation. it's not at all common to have the same exact model with a 40hp output difference.

This is all conjecture at the moment though, best not to build any castles in the sky.

DrNio13

Reaction score

nobody likes it... especially when slightly used Audi TT RS or Z4 M produce around 400hp..

but what can you do? maybe flip it when the Emira R comes around. :)

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe all fe i4 come with 400 and the base spec car rumoured to be 60k later this year will be 360 but if you would like 400 that will be extra sir.
A base spec i4 for 60k will be exactly that basic but it will still look the dogs and drive round lots of more expensive stuff😀

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Maybe all fe i4 come with 400 and the base spec car rumoured to be 60k later this year will be 360 but if you would like 400 that will be extra sir.
A base spec i4 for 60k will be exactly that basic but it will still look the dogs and drive round lots of more expensive stuff😀
That's almost where my thinking ended up, having read the speculation on this thread, earlier this afternoon.

i4 base spec: £60k - 360 bhp
i4 FE: ~£70-£72k - 400 bhp plus the same packs as V6 FE (plus the ADAS kit)

Future i4 model - 400 bhp as standard, too

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not for the same model designation no. What's common is having slightly detuned version a rung down the model line with a separate model designation. it's not at all common to have the same exact model with a 40hp output difference.

This is all conjecture at the moment though, best not to build any castles in the sky.
that's not true.

Mk7.5 Golf R was 310hp in europe, 288hp in North America.

GR Yaris is 257hp in some market, 268hp in others...

just 2 exemples that comes to mind. It's very common to have the same model having different output depending on a lot of different factors.

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would also like to add, that lotus has upgraded the exhaust system for the i4.
so fingers crossed it sounds good!
I wouldn't hold your breath my friend 4-cylinder engines, especially turbocharged 4-cylinder engines have very poor exhaust notes that's just the nature of the beast.
The turbo chargers muffle all the good exhaust sounds.
Hyundai seem to be the one that can get an "OK" exhaust note out of a turbocharged 4 cylinder.
My Veloster N sounds pretty good as does the European i30N, but not even close to the V6 supercharged 3.5L Toyota engine in the Exige and Emira.
After driving my turbocharged car for a few years, I'm looking forward to driving the v6 supercharged Emira with no turbo lag, and that instant throttle response, it'll be a breath of fresh air for me.
That's what I really liked about my Ariel Atom instant throttle response, and that supercharger whine is intoxicating.
To me the exhaust note of a car is just as important as horsepower, speed, handling and looks.

OP
Nova

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
That's almost where my thinking ended up, having read the speculation on this thread, earlier this afternoon.

i4 base spec: £60k - 360 bhp
i4 FE: ~£70-£72k - 400 bhp plus the same packs as V6 FE (plus the ADAS kit)

Future i4 model - 400 bhp as standard, too

I also think this may be the likely outcome. It would be pretty easy to justify. Given that they have not yet released any official information about the I4 FE, it could very well include an engine power upgrade package that brings it to 400HP.

It would certainly make sense for the I4 FE to match the power of the V6 FE. If this happens, the I4 FE will almost certainly have a performance advantage over the V6 FE given the fatter HP curve.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold your breath my friend 4-cylinder engines, especially turbocharged 4-cylinder engines have very poor exhaust notes that's just the nature of the beast.
The turbo chargers muffle all the good exhaust sounds.
Hyundai seem to be the one that can get an "OK" exhaust note out of a turbocharged 4 cylinder.
My Veloster N sounds pretty good as does the European i30N, but not even close to the V6 supercharged 3.5L Toyota engine in the Exige and Emira.

Can you upgrade the exhaust in the Veloster to get the sound? My STI sounds incredible with an aftermarket catback. I guess the question is can the Emira I4 be upgraded to give a good sound.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
that's not true.

Mk7.5 Golf R was 310hp in europe, 288hp in North America.

GR Yaris is 257hp in some market, 268hp in others...

just 2 exemples that comes to mind. It's very common to have the same model having different output depending on a lot of different factors.

Read my post..."it's not at all common to have the same exact model with a 40hp output difference."

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Can you upgrade the exhaust in the Veloster to get the sound? My STI sounds incredible with an aftermarket catback. I guess the question is can the Emira I4 be upgraded to give a good sound.
I think the exhaust note in my Veloster N sounds pretty good from the factory, way better than the Civic Type-R, but like I said nothing compared to that Toyota V6 in the Emira.
Have you ever heard the exhaust note out of the Porsche Boxster and Cayman four cylinders, they sound like Subarus not Porsches.
No offense my friend.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Read my post..."it's not at all common to have the same exact model with a 40hp output difference."
If the I4 is so much better and cheaper I'll swap out of the V6 and be in the priority list for the I4 win-win...

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don’t think that the i4 FE, will be cheaper, has more features (ADAS), same hp, more torque, lighter weight figures, therefore better performance, and have the more expansive gearbox. That doesn‘t seem logical, neither would it be fair for V6 FE buyers.