Shmee First drive video out peeps

Featured
Oooo the review I’ve been waiting for - 25 mins worth
Describes it as “a LOT a LOT of car for the money and is definitely a market disrupter “ “Feels very definitively Lotus “
Music to my ears :
“it makes you want to just drive it and constantly rev it out and wants to be driven. “ Feels very focused “
Lively exciting sports car
Long live the manual” lol
Also says v’s Cayman GT4 that it does it less clinical and with more excitement and occasion
Yey FAB review !
Exhuast Sounds great in the video
It’s already had 25.5k views within circa 20 mins

Last edited:

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Weird observation: in the video Shmee says that when he's done with the car it will be shipped to Europe. Does he not realize that he's already in Europe? I wonder which continent he thinks he's on.
We are an Island Nation.....repel all borders. Europe is across the water.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Watching that video one disappointing thing for me was that the engine seems really slow to rev, it didn’t do anything for me. I’m spoilt as I’ve quite a few M cars but this sounded pretty dull aside from the exhaust, I’d trade that for a better intake sound and a more furious rev response. At this rate I think then AMG is genuinely looking more exciting based on how the a45s unit performs. Lots of details though and even if based on the performance in this video I’m pleased I have gone for the i4 version.
There will (should be) a lot induction noise in the Emira, as well as the supercharger whine.

Agree that the V6 engine is not as free-revving as the M cars, but there is a lot of character to it when combined with the induction and exhaust noises. Slower revs also give you more opportunity to hear these noises for a longer period of time. It’s a bit old school and that makes it different. Some like that… others don’t.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
There will (should be) a lot induction noise in the Emira, as well as the supercharger whine.

Agree that the V6 engine is not as free-revving as the M cars, but there is a lot of character to it when combined with the induction and exhaust noises. Slower revs also give you more opportunity to hear these noises for a longer period of time. It’s a bit old school and that makes it different. Some like that… others don’t.
I'm starting to wonder if it's different enough from my 1995 VW VR6 to warrant the upgrade 🤔 🤣

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm starting to wonder if it's different enough from my 1995 VW VR6 to warrant the upgrade 🤔 🤣
Don't ask Jethro, he'll tell you it's not. And then follow it up with a sniff and a smugly delivered, "Sooooooo disappointing."

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've never seen any of his videos before, but for me this review showed how good the car is going to be driving around UK country roads!. The precise steering, good feedback on the road surface, consistent power delivery through the rev range, what looked like a good gear change etc. Personally I cannot wait to send it around the country roads of Suffolk. I know that the Emira will get me there quicker, smoother, with more comfort and fun than supercars 2, 3, 4x the price!! It will be so much more usable!
Bring it on Lotus!!!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
here is something and nothing...
an elise drivers very quick impressions of the emira:

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
What does he mean by "the steering wheel is noticeably to the LEFT, and the pedals are noticeably to the RIGHT"?

So the steering wheel is not centered to the instrument cluster?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
What does he mean by "the steering wheel is noticeably to the LEFT, and the pedals are noticeably to the RIGHT"?

So the steering wheel is not centered to the instrument cluster?

No, it's slightly off-centered directly in front of the driver's seat it seems. The pedals are more toward the center of the car in LHD Emiras. The Evora was like this too. It's not a big deal and most will get used to it. It's just worth mentioning as an initial impression.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A quick way to improve the rev speed is to replace the factory flywheel with a lighter-weight billet steel flywheel. Something around 18 lbs is heavy enough to not make the car jerky when trying to drive slowly, but definitely improves the throttle response. The engine will increase and decrease revs much quicker this way.

Unless Lotus has changed that for the Emira, there's probably something already available on the market for the Toyota engine and manual clutch combo since that's been used for years in the Evora.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
So what continent is Britain part of? Asia? Africa? South America?
Sometimes it feels like we are an adjunct to Alpha Centauri. Police, here in the UK, have to declare their religion and in England 13,054 claim they are Jedi. In Scotland, there are 1390 Sith. I rest my case.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Until it hits 3.5/4K rpm then it’s all over in a flash. ;)

MaybeNeedEmira

Reaction score
A quick way to improve the rev speed is to replace the factory flywheel with a lighter-weight billet steel flywheel. Something around 18 lbs is heavy enough to not make the car jerky when trying to drive slowly, but definitely improves the throttle response. The engine will increase and decrease revs much quicker this way.

Unless Lotus has changed that for the Emira, there's probably something already available on the market for the Toyota engine and manual clutch combo since that's been used for years in the Evora.
In a mid engine car, not much is "quick" and even less is easy.

#ForTheLift

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
In a mid engine car, not much is "quick" and even less is easy.

#ForTheLift
Probably true, but compared to the cost and difficulty of changing the ECU tune, or the gearing, a flywheel change is probably the easier and less costly route if you just want the engine to rev quicker. The only downside is you lose some of the flywheel effect, which is what enables the car to coast and maintain speed. It's a performance mod more than a daily usability mod. Great for a weekend fun car.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

A tech at the US roadshow (the guy who we've all seen moving the shadow grey Emira around and revving it) told me that the Emira is using an AP clutch and AP lightweight flywheel already.

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that he would look more credible with real "Brit teeth"? :ROFLMAO:

I for one find it extremely annoying when he makes up Shmee based words, like Shmuseum or Shmeemobile or whatever.
They are called neologisms, made up words that have a specific meaning. It is a symptom of schizophrenia, or naff infantile branding!