Shmee First drive video out peeps

Featured
Oooo the review I’ve been waiting for - 25 mins worth
Describes it as “a LOT a LOT of car for the money and is definitely a market disrupter “ “Feels very definitively Lotus “
Music to my ears :
“it makes you want to just drive it and constantly rev it out and wants to be driven. “ Feels very focused “
Lively exciting sports car
Long live the manual” lol
Also says v’s Cayman GT4 that it does it less clinical and with more excitement and occasion
Yey FAB review !
Exhuast Sounds great in the video
It’s already had 25.5k views within circa 20 mins

Last edited:

Flashback

Reaction score
I noticed him complaining about the sport suspension to.
He probably recorded 2 different versions of his 'review', waited to see everyone else's work, then released the one most inline with the people who know what they're talking about. :ROFLMAO:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I was just guessing based on other premium systems like Burmester etc. I honestly thought the KEF was going to be something special. Guess this is why we haven't heard it or anything about it for the past year 🙁
Yes me too. But let’s see when we get it, I have Bose in the ionic 5 and it’s average. I had a none brand which I think was behind the scenes pioneer in the Honda e and it was truly amazing. Better than any porsche system I’ve heard.

This one can’t be bad and will at very worse case be fine. But as you say it kind of makes u wonder whether they whole 15k in extras is worth it but we have no choice if we want cars in the next year or so

Justcallmemac

Reaction score
I used to find Scmee extremely annoying but he's calmed down a bit of late and fair play to him for a. going in to considerably more informative detail than most and b. giving a balanced assessment of what the car's like to live with 'day to day, in the real world, warts and all. IMO this was probably the best review there's been so far in terms of the useful information shared. And while I like Chris Harris, his TG effort, glowing in praise though it was, came over as superficial and shallow to me and it gave me nothing more than I already knew. (I'm not one for confirmation bias either, just to make the shoe fit)

Can someone also explain their understanding please of Scmee's comment about the steering wheel being offset to the right and pedals being offset to the left and how that would translate to a RHD car. Is he saying that the steering wheel isn't actually directly in front of the driver or, that it is, and the pedal positions are offset from that? The latter isn't an issue and muscle memory soon overcomes that but, if both positions are a bit 'out of whack,' that's an odd design decision in a car, which is "for the drivers." I'm probably overthinking it but the more I read the more I definitely need to sit in the finished article and take a test drive before I 'part with the reddies' and I hope that's going to be possible.

I do wish though that all of these reviewers had a 100% final production spec car to play with, especially with some of us supposedly taking delivery within the next month or two, depending on the impact of the recently communicated delays. A fair amount of uncertainty still remains, which we all hope will be addressed and rectified by Lotus before final manufacture, but which we won't know for sure until either a fully finished car gets reviewed, whether that be by a journalist or a new owner.

Last edited:

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I was just guessing based on other premium systems like Burmester etc. I honestly thought the KEF was going to be something special. Guess this is why we haven't heard it or anything about it for the past year 🙁
If it's as good as the HK system in a good BMW I'll be happy. Did anyone read about the severe tyre noise TG had on it's online review

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I used to find Scmee extremely annoying but he's calmed down a bit of late and fair play to him for a. going in to considerably more informative detail than most and b. giving a balanced assessment of what the car's like to live with 'day to day, in the real world, warts and all. IMO this was probably the best review there's been so far in terms of the useful information shared. And while I like Chris Harris, his TG effort, glowing in praise though it was, came over as superficial and shallow to me and it gave me nothing more than I already knew. (I'm not one for confirmation bias either, just to make the shoe fit)

Can someone also explain their understanding please of Scmee's comment about the steering wheel being offset to the right and pedals being offset to the left and how that would translate to a RHD car. Is he saying that the steering wheel isn't actually directly in front of the driver or, that it is, and the pedal positions are offset from that? The latter isn't an issue and muscle memory soon overcomes that but, if both positions are a bit 'out of whack,' that's an odd design decision in a car, which is "for the drivers." I'm probably overthinking it but the more I read the more I definitely need to sit in the finished article and take a test drive before I part with the reddies and I hope that's going to be possible.

I do wish though that all of these reviewers had a 100% final production spec car to play with, esepcially with some of us supposedly taking delivery within the next month or two, depending on ongoing delays. A fair amount of uncertainty remains, which we all hope will be addressed and rectified by Lotus before final manufacture, but which we can't yet be certain about.
I get that he gave a lot of info compared to others but for me he waffles on a great deal and repeats himself but this isn’t his fault this is the fault of his editing team.

I don’t think it’s difficult to give that much detail on a car but I think others don’t do it as it’s not “good” viewing on YouTube and it won’t get you the numbers. People will switch off way before then end if they see 20/30 mins. Obviously we won’t as we are buyers but the other 100k are not.

So while I am more or less grateful for his linger video or longer video apart from the pedals and off set wheel which could be a sure back ache as it can be in early Porsches, I don’t believe I learnt anything I dissent know ?
He did not mention the redline once re where it is or where he felt it should be. The middle screen had been mentioned several times l, even before anyone drove the car in my memory.
He didn’t show how much actual space behind the seats. Not hard to throw a few bags in there really. Didn’t have an actual water bottle in the cup holder to see if you can easily change gear with it there which I suspect is not going to be ideal.

It’s not hard to make a you tube car video, but it is hard to make it interesting and fun and the editing is key and time consuming. I’ve tried and failed but if I get my car early enough I will do one “for the drivers@ nerds “ haha. Like us

I will watch his video once more but never again after that where as I could watch Harry’s or Rory’s several times. Shorter. More flow. More exciting. More planned. Imo. But I am quite picky admittedly

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As ever an excellent, detailed review. His closing comparison with the 718 & 981 GT4 was very informative to me: head to head, but different, Porsche more clinical (I read that to being the car & software doing a lot of the work for you…) but when you get it right in the Emira, it is you that’s getting it right!

And…I’m pretty sure he hit the rev limiter at around 8:10 in that video… ;)

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed watching the reviews but it’s shown how important it is to make your own mind up because they’ve all picked up on different things. I’m looking forward to trying it myself 🙂

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
One important thing I would add, for those here who "nit pick"....
Here you have two people, Harry and CHimmey, who are in the "same" position as us, ok with a bit more..a lot more money, but they are Emira customers awaiting their cars and they enjoy driving and they are probably better drivers than 90% of us on here. They will for sure be weekend, odd track day or road trip drives, the same as 90% of us also.
Do they give a damn about wheel gap (harry said its a lotus trait and explained why.... he doesnt care). Do they care about 1 shift not going in immediately because you try to force it too quick, on a track day if you are absolutely belting it, do they care about the redline being 6750 or 7000..... and all the other rubbish we compaln about on here as if it makes the difference between it being a good car or not, NO they dont.
They have driven the car, they love it and are happy they bought it, shouldn't that be an end to it.
Here with we can close the forum ... or at least the threads on tiny details.. haha>
But seriously, they are us, and they dont care about all the crap we seem to and yet they know far more than we do.... they dont even mention these things, thank god.. haha

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
One important thing I would add, for those here who "nit pick"....
Here you have two people, Harry and CHimmey, who are in the "same" position as us, ok with a bit more..a lot more money, but they are Emira customers awaiting their cars and they enjoy driving and they are probably better drivers than 90% of us on here. They will for sure be weekend, odd track day or road trip drives, the same as 90% of us also.
Do they give a damn about wheel gap (harry said its a lotus trait and explained why.... he doesnt care). Do they care about 1 shift not going in immediately because you try to force it too quick, on a track day if you are absolutely belting it, do they care about the redline being 6750 or 7000..... and all the other rubbish we compaln about on here as if it makes the difference between it being a good car or not, NO they dont.
They have driven the car, they love it and are happy they bought it, shouldn't that be an end to it.
Here with we can close the forum ... or at least the threads on tiny details.. haha>
But seriously, they are us, and they dont care about all the crap we seem to and yet they know far more than we do.... they dont even mention these things, thank god.. haha
Ok ok ok, I won’t mention the 6.6k Rev limit that’s goes to 6.75k in sport / track mode, again, even if Shmee did hit it while driving behind a builders truck ;)

All I’m saying is that I’m still hoping they up it back to Evora levels for production…

:)

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed watching the reviews but it’s shown how important it is to make your own mind up because they’ve all picked up on different things. I’m looking forward to trying it myself 🙂
Yup it's difficult because everyone wants different things and their circumstances will be different.
I'm not saying the Emira is flawed, but if it was Schmee wouldn't care too much as long as it made him smile. He has a whole multi million pound garage to choose from depending what he wants from a car day to day

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If it's as good as the HK system in a good BMW I'll be happy. Did anyone read about the severe tyre noise TG had on it's online review
Think we have had this conversation before 😁😇 but I didn't really rate the HK system but it does depend on model.
I was expecting big things from the KEF as a bespoke system going into a new car.
@TomE mentioned the tyre/road noise and said it was a known pre production issue that would be sorted in production models

PhilCP

Reaction score
I think, given the cars he owns, he specifically said the Sports setup was firm. Given he owns a Senna and GTR black series that is quite telling.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's interesting. Has the costing on the Base options been released anywhere?

I'm particularly interested because as a future Base model owner interested in the Touring suspension and Goodyear tyres, it seems as though I may still be compelled to purchase the Lotus Drivers Pack in order to get access to track mode and switchable exhaust sound (which I thought was available without the pack by just using Sport mode).

As per Lotus' website:
  • Lotus Drivers Pack
    • Track Mode (ESP), Track Mode HMI / TFT Display, Switchable exhaust sound based on drive mode and a choice of:
    • Track tyre and sports suspension
    • Touring tyre and sports suspension
    • Touring tyre and touring suspension
I'm wondering what the cost will end being for the pack considering that the only thing I really want out of this list is track mode.

Base options pricing is due to be announced in September. Lotus said that in March, when they announced the i4 FE pricing, but I guess may slip if they anticipate start of Base production slipping.

You're correct, if you want Track mode and/or Sports suspension then you'll need Drivers Pack. If you don't get it you'll still have switchable exhaust sound between Tour and Sport Drive modes. No idea yet on how they're going to price it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can someone also explain their understanding please of Scmee's comment about the steering wheel being offset to the right and pedals being offset to the left and how that would translate to a RHD car. Is he saying that the steering wheel isn't actually directly in front of the driver or, that it is, and the pedal positions are offset from that? The latter isn't an issue and muscle memory soon overcomes that but, if both positions are a bit 'out of whack,' that's an odd design decision in a car, which is "for the drivers." I'm probably overthinking it but the more I read the more I definitely need to sit in the finished article and take a test drive before I 'part with the reddies' and I hope that's going to be possible.
If you've sat in an Evora you may have noticed this pedal offset, particularly in a LHD one. The chassis sill is quite thick on the Evora and angles into the footwell, making it narrower at the feet compared to the seat. This means the pedals are offset towards the centre of the car.

In a LHD car, because of the footrest to the left of the clutch pedal, this means the 3 pedals feel offset to the right and as you're mainly using the throttle you're aware (if you think about it) that it's more over to the right than you might expect. You soon get used to it.

In a RHD car it's less obvious, because the footrest is close to the centre of the car and the throttle is in a more natural position.

The Emira has less intrusive sills so it should be less of an issue. I'll try to sit in a more recent LHD and RHD car at Goodwood this week.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Think we have had this conversation before 😁😇 but I didn't really rate the HK system but it does depend on model.
I was expecting big things from the KEF as a bespoke system going into a new car.
@TomE mentioned the tyre/road noise and said it was a known pre production issue that would be sorted in production models
That's right, the prototype car they used didn't have the full noise insulation package fitted.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The Emira has less intrusive sills so it should be less of an issue. I'll try to sit in a more recent LHD and RHD car at Goodwood this week.
Be great of you can Tom as you an compare to the Evora.
I find anything too offset gives me lower back ache over long journeys in manual cars and having relatively short legs..... I'm average sized honest!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think, given the cars he owns, he specifically said the Sports setup was firm. Given he owns a Senna and GTR black series that is quite telling.
Harry described it similarly - Sports is "fidgety" at lower speeds on typical UK roads with poor surfaces. You get this on the Evora GT410 too, which is the closest to Emira Sports in a car you can drive today. This is the compromise you get for "enhanced dynamics" and you'll have much more awareness of the road surface through the steering.

At higher speeds it's less of an issue, so on a dual carriageway or motorway it'll still be there but less obvious. What you won't notice is subconsciously it takes a bit more steering effort, so you may feel more tired after a long journey.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I may have missed it, but was Schmee's test car on Goodyears or Cup2s? The stiff sidewalls of the latter would no doubt contribute to a bit of fidget.