Shift Knob Replacement

Unfortunately I don't have the spec for that grub screw, but I do seem to recall having reading somewhere that its removal was done with a 3mm allen wrench.
I believe there is a flat side on the shifter thread that faces forward that the grub screw is going into. So as long as the grub screw is facing the front of the car the height of it is not that critical. I believe it is in the middle of the ball - so 23mm from the top or bottom

I drove the Emira at the driving academy in peak summer last year, I don't think it'll be as bad as you think!

The shifter sits right next to the air vents so, given we had the AC on, the knob was freezing to the touch even with the Norfolk summer sun bearing down on us!

Winter, I guess it'll take in the hot air from the vents? Maybe?
From experience already, it is SCORCHING hot after sitting outside in the sun on a 85° day or hotter and requires putting the air vent on it immediately for relief.

From experience already, it is SCORCHING hot after sitting outside in the sun on a 85° day or hotter and requires putting the air vent on it immediately for relief.
Lucky you that you're not in Miami where that's almost a daily experience. The OEM knob is definitely going to be on the way out as soon as I get my Emira and replaced with a wood or delrin alternative.

Ok, got this installed. In general, i like it. a little bigger than stock, a little heavier as well. I need to drop it down about 1/4-1/2" or so to be a little better height. this one does NOT have a grub or positioning screw. just threaded it all the way on.

the grub screw is only to keep the knob oriented with the shift pattern, so if you are going with a blank, it doesn't really matter. it's a 2mm head I believe.

Attachments

• subie 1.jpeg
    subie 1.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 79
  • subie 2.jpeg
    subie 2.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 79
Ok, got this installed. In general, i like it. a little bigger than stock, a little heavier as well. I need to drop it down about 1/4-1/2" or so to be a little better height. this one does NOT have a grub or positioning screw. just threaded it all the way on.

the grub screw is only to keep the knob oriented with the shift pattern, so if you are going with a blank, it doesn't really matter. it's a 2mm head I believe.
How will you go about dropping it? Are you planing on cutting the reverse pull-up lever or drilling a deeper thread in to the knob?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Raceng shift knobs, but they’re quality, weighted knobs… I replaced my stock Porsche knob and it feels a lot better in the hand, and it’s heavy, so it has a nice feel rowing through gears. If there was ever an exception to shaving weight on a car I’d say a weighted knob is one of those exceptions. 😂

I highly recommend this brand for those looking for options… and mine doesn’t ever burn my hand. This is what they have for the Evora if it’s the same as Emira:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Raceng shift knobs, but they’re quality, weighted knobs… I replaced my stock Porsche knob and it feels a lot better in the hand, and it’s heavy, so it has a nice feel rowing through gears. If there was ever an exception to shaving weight on a car I’d say a weighted knob is one of those exceptions. 😂

I highly recommend this brand for those looking for options… and mine doesn’t ever burn my hand. This is what they have for the Evora if it’s the same as Emira:

Agreed and great recommendation. I have also purchased from them in the past and I currently have one of their weighted shift knobs on my MX-5 ND and love it.. They are on the pricy side but, quality and fit wise, they're second to none. Coincidentally, I plan to get one of their delrin hybrid knobs for my Emira, should I not find a nice wood alternative. And yes, the Evora's shifter mechanism seems identical to the Evora's and the knobs should be compatible. Raceseng just probably hasn't updated their product compatability on its website to include the Emira model but, when they get to it, it's likely to carry over the same product line as the Evora's. A quick call to them prior to ordering should clear any residual doubt. I could be wrong, but the knob pictured beforehand in Dlerium's post #63 sure looks like a Raceseng..

How will you go about dropping it? Are you planing on cutting the reverse pull-up lever or drilling a deeper thread in to the knob?
Drilling into the knob to let the threads go deeper

Had a go at this today as @kitkat suggested, and found the gaiter is screwed on from below.
So don’t try to push it down from above.
The manual is misleading about this, as I’ve found about a few things while I’ve been fiddling around.
eg: the start button is installed from above the panel and not fixed below like suggested in the manual. Mine appears to have been bodged at build with a broken clip to make it fit.
And it’s not really worth taking off the gaiter to get that ‘open’ look. There’s a lot of plastic fixings and other gubbins that would be visible.
@KJD I found this post from last year and I wonder if you might be able to share any tips on getting the centre console trim out. I've had a good look at it and it feels pretty flimsy so I'm scared of breaking the trim or the 10 clips that hold it down. My reason for asking is that my gear lever has developed a bit too much fore/aft play and it looks fairly straightforward to adjust the cable if I can get the console trim off.

Step 1: complete - mill some wood.
OEM Knob is 1 - 3/4 inch diameter
I think I want to go 2 inch or 2-1/4 diameter

Step 2: Let wood dry out - then plane down

Attachments

• tempImage5VEVQ2.png
    tempImage5VEVQ2.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
@KJD I found this post from last year and I wonder if you might be able to share any tips on getting the centre console trim out. I've had a good look at it and it feels pretty flimsy so I'm scared of breaking the trim or the 10 clips that hold it down. My reason for asking is that my gear lever has developed a bit too much fore/aft play and it looks fairly straightforward to adjust the cable if I can get the console trim off.
I used a plastic trim tool and worked from front to back as the service notes suggest.
Take the rubber mat at the front out first then lever up at the outside of the silver part a little at a time evenly side to side and it will gradually pop up. Don’t be scared!
As I said in my old post, my starter button was installed from above the panel but I think I’ve seen others where it’s fixed underneath as the notes suggest it should be.
One of the button’s fixing clips was already broken to allow the button to come up. Looks like an early-production bodge to me. Your car is a similar age to mine iirc, so might be the same.

I used a plastic trim tool and worked from front to back as the service notes suggest.
Take the rubber mat at the front out first then lever up at the outside of the silver part a little at a time evenly side to side and it will gradually pop up. Don’t be scared!
As I said in my old post, my starter button was installed from above the panel but I think I’ve seen others where it’s fixed underneath as the notes suggest it should be.
One of the button’s fixing clips was already broken to allow the button to come up. Looks like an early-production bodge to me. Your car is a similar age to mine iirc, so might be the same.
Many thanks, I'll give it a try.

For anyone thinking of making their own from wood, unless you are already a woodturner, be prepared for a lot of swearing and firewood. Spheres are not easy.
A hard timber would be capable of being threaded directly without an insert. You just need a tap and tap wrench like you would for metal. I'm going to make an olive wood one in the Autumn (Fall) - I Had my own business for a few years until last year. I'll report back when I do one. I'll see if I can draw one in Fusion 360 before then.

I checked out the link above and decided to reach out to them since I like one of their knobs.
This is the reply I received:

Unfortunately we do not offer products specific to the Emira platform, but that doesnt mean I can't help.

https://raceseng.com/products/shift-knob-adapter

You will need one of our adapters to run that shift knob. The link above will take you to our page. Also, these are the Lotus platforms we offer products for.

shifter.png

If you know the transmission is the same as one of the ones found above, then that may be the correct thread/pitch.

I checked out the link above and decided to reach out to them since I like one of their knobs.
This is the reply I received:

Unfortunately we do not offer products specific to the Emira platform, but that doesnt mean I can't help.

https://raceseng.com/products/shift-knob-adapter

You will need one of our adapters to run that shift knob. The link above will take you to our page. Also, these are the Lotus platforms we offer products for.

View attachment 45614

If you know the transmission is the same as one of the ones found above, then that may be the correct thread/pitch.
Have we already determined that the Emira is using the M12x1.5mm thread/Pitch? Same as the Evora?

I had their Apex R on my Miot. It was a nice shifter in hand. I just wish they had something that looked good for the Emira.