• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Shift Knob Replacement

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Black Forest Industries makes some beautiful aftermarket shift knobs and shift boots in various materials and colors. Everything from perforated leather, Alcantara, weighted billet, carbon, etc.. Most available with custom colors/stitching. They're a little pricey IMO, but good quality.

I'll reach out to see if they're interest in doing a Lotus run for us. Anyone happen to know the Emira shift knob thread size?

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Many years ago, I had a 1968 Corvette with the factory chrome steel shift knob. I think that was a worse-case scenario when the top was off (I had both the hard and soft tops) and the car was sitting in the sun. It felt like the knob was on fire. When I bought a 2001 Corvette, I swapped out the factory knob (leather cover from factory) with my own polyurethane design that was similar to an NB Miata shift knob. It looked like wine red-colored glass and due to the height of the console, it felt better than spherical knobs. I may replace the Emira's with one of my custom shift knobs after seeing how I like or dislike the OEM one.

Attachments

• Left Interior 1.jpg
    Left Interior 1.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 62
OP
Dlirium

Dlirium

Reaction score
I’m going to burn that shift pattern into my palm on a hot day. That’ll show you guys for making fun…. :)

OP
Dlirium

Dlirium

Reaction score
Black Forest Industries makes some beautiful aftermarket shift knobs and shift boots in various materials and colors. Everything from perforated leather, Alcantara, weighted billet, carbon, etc.. Most available with custom colors/stitching. They're a little pricey IMO, but good quality.

I'll reach out to see if they're interest in doing a Lotus run for us. Anyone happen to know the Emira shift knob thread size?
12mm, but I’m not sure on the pitch.

Grumpy

Reaction score
It's the same as my Elise. It's either drill or laser cut and they don't then apply any extra finishing so feels sharp initially but after a couple of thousand miles it loses its edges so is fine. That said all metal gear knobs are not great from a temp point of view.

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A Lotus is supposed to be used with gloves. Because racecar. :D

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A Lotus is supposed to be used with gloves. Because racecar. :D
I give up with constant balls about a gear Knobs. Go get a real life, again administrators is this really relevant!!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's clearly a tongue in cheek post given the use of the emoji. You can scroll past it and this whole thread if it isn't relevant.

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's clearly a tongue in cheek post given the use of the emoji. You can scroll past it and this whole thread if it isn't relevant.
wow, I thought impartiality was your role

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What's not impartial about giving you feedback on why another post you've highlighted doesn't need moderating?

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What's not impartial about giving you feedback on why another post you've highlighted doesn't need moderating?
You are doing exactly what the other protagonist are doing, making it personal

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's personal feedback to you because you were the only one who raised it. How else do you propose I feed back on your point?

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's the same as my Elise. It's either drill or laser cut and they don't then apply any extra finishing so feels sharp initially but after a couple of thousand miles it loses its edges so is fine. That said all metal gear knobs are not great from a temp point of view.
So it’s really part of the running in process. As well as bedding in your rings you have to caress your knob for the first 500 - 1000 miles or so?

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For something like this, a part drawing note could specify abrasive blasting to remove sharp corners. A drawing note may also state, "Remove burrs and break all edges 0.15 (MM) or something similar. This is very common/familiar to design engineers when designing parts that require bare handling by the end user.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So it’s really part of the running in process. As well as bedding in your rings you have to caress your knob for the first 500 - 1000 miles or so?
I am 400 miles in and it is already feeling less scratchy...I continue to love all the idiosyncrasies of this car

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For what its worth my gear knob is properly routed and not sharp to the touch.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I currently drive an Elise and have driven it for 40,000 miles from new. The gear knob is now smooth.

However, I’m a Woodturner (as a job) and I’m thinking of making one for my Emira. It’ll just be spherical with no engraving (I know where the gears are). I may consider making some more if there was any interest. Maybe a choice of dense hardwoods.
It’ll be September or October before I could do any, because I’m having a hip replacement soon and won’t be working for awhile.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I currently drive an Elise and have driven it for 40,000 miles from new. The gear knob is now smooth.

However, I’m a Woodturner (as a job) and I’m thinking of making one for my Emira. It’ll just be spherical with no engraving (I know where the gears are). I may consider making some more if there was any interest. Maybe a choice of dense hardwoods.
It’ll be September or October before I could do any, because I’m having a hip replacement soon and won’t be working for awhile.
These are for the Evora, but it looks like the same shift lever that's on the Emira. Would Evora gear knobs fit?

Gear Knob JimClarkEvora_GearKnob.jpg

Gear Knob Lotus-Evora-410-James-Bond-2017-3-2500254100.jpeg