• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Shift Knob Replacement

Dlirium

Reaction score
After watching the latest Shmee video, I too am concerned that my supple hands will not be able to withstand the grating texture of the shift pattern on the stock shift knob!

Seriously tho, I’ve owned 2 other cars with metal shift knobs and actually agree that they can be pretty uncomfortable in temperature extremes. One I changed to a delron knob (that fixed the problem) and the other I’ve just put up with.

What have previous model Lotus owners found as a nice replacement? Carbon Fiber? Delron? Would love to see what you recommend!

Wake

Reaction score
My FK8 has a metal gear knob. Just nick one of these for the winter months!
C793C264-45D3-4CCA-94AA-E52C28F56C59.png

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yea, I plan to swap the shift knob out for a non-metallic one. I have four seasons where I live and the knob will be burning in the summer and ice cold in the winter.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yea, I plan to swap the shift knob out for a non-metallic one. I have four seasons where I live and the knob will be burning in the summer and ice cold in the winter.
I drove the Emira at the driving academy in peak summer last year, I don't think it'll be as bad as you think!

The shifter sits right next to the air vents so, given we had the AC on, the knob was freezing to the touch even with the Norfolk summer sun bearing down on us!

Winter, I guess it'll take in the hot air from the vents? Maybe?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I wouldn’t be surprised if the shifter threading was the same as the Evora. Maybe the original Evora leather knobs fit as well as all the aftermarket ones.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My 2014 Evora had the same metal shifter as the Emira. My Elise also has a metal one, my M100 is leather and my Elan is wood.
Cant say I ever noticed any of them being too hot or too cold. Of course, I don’t live in searing Californian heat (other hot places also available).

dzernski

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I had a wooden one to replace the (what felt like) bakelite one in my Herald. Felt lovely. Presumably someone already has this with a derivation of the Lotus logo on somewhere. Might look a touch anachronistic but it's better than looking like that chap from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1672933840637.png

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Max

Reaction score
I have a (partial) metal shift knob in my current car. It gets hot when I park it at the beach in the hot summer.
Solution? Hang a baseball cap on the shift knob.

dzernski

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
what the F*** are you all going on about. its a gear nob, first you will not go out in the cold, second your parking valay will make sure its parked in a dark cool place in summer.

I honesty give up
If I may correct you on a few points (from my standpoint if no-one else's). It's going out in the cold. It's going out in the hot and I wouldn't let a valet park it even if offered the service. Some people prefer the ascetic feel of a well turned piece of wood rather than plastic or metal (some people like imitation 8 balls of either denomination). Personally I'd rather have something more akin to the shifter out of the six speed NB MX-5 as that had perfect throw length, positioning and feel for me.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
what the F*** are you all going on about. its a gear nob, first you will not go out in the cold, second your parking valay will make sure its parked in a dark cool place in summer.

I honesty give up
haha this is too funny. I wonder how many will worry about burning the backs of their legs because their skirts don't cover them?..:)