Alcantara vs Leather steering wheel choice

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have an allocation for a FE 2.0 and the only remaining question that I'm struggling with is whether to go with an alcantara or leather steering wheel. I will be going with leather seats and so the only alcantara would be on the wheel. I've never had alcantara in a car on 'touchable surfaces', and the look and feel of an alcantara wheel appear to me. I also think an alcantara wheel may contribute the special feeling I'm hoping for when I drive the care. I'm pretty meticulous with my cars and cleaning and maintaining them is actually an interest of mine, so upkeep isn't really a big deal. I will be daily driving this car however I only put about 5,000 miles per year and my commutes to work are short. I know the leather wheel is the 'safe' choice and some people recommend not opting for alcantara on either the steering wheel or shift knob (in other cars).

I'm curious to those who have opted for the alcantara wheel on this car (or others), what advice or feedback you might have for me. I know part of this is personal preference, but still hoping for first hand experiencing in those that opted for it. How do you like it? Would you pick it again if given the chance?

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I chose alcantara for similar reasons. I wanted it to feel special, like an occasion. I would recommend googling some videos on how to clean an alcantara wheel. It’s pretty simple and you seem to have the right attitude about it. Will just take a little extra thought in keeping a brush/kit in the car, creating a habit of brushing the wheel and maybe keeping some gloves on-hand for when you’re sweaty death-gripping through the canyons or on track. With good habits the wheel should continue to look and feel great.

Panda47

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have an allocation for a FE 2.0 and the only remaining question that I'm struggling with is whether to go with an alcantara or leather steering wheel. I will be going with leather seats and so the only alcantara would be on the wheel. I've never had alcantara in a car on 'touchable surfaces', and the look and feel of an alcantara wheel appear to me. I also think an alcantara wheel may contribute the special feeling I'm hoping for when I drive the care. I'm pretty meticulous with my cars and cleaning and maintaining them is actually an interest of mine, so upkeep isn't really a big deal. I will be daily driving this car however I only put about 5,000 miles per year and my commutes to work are short. I know the leather wheel is the 'safe' choice and some people recommend not opting for alcantara on either the steering wheel or shift knob (in other cars).

I'm curious to those who have opted for the alcantara wheel on this car (or others), what advice or feedback you might have for me. I know part of this is personal preference, but still hoping for first hand experiencing in those that opted for it. How do you like it? Would you pick it again if given the chance?
Definitely Leather,lasts basically forever,I've seen alcantara after 12mths on another brand and it goes shinny/smooth in places,spoils the whole look of the interior.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Going for alcantara. Life is too short. And if the wheel needs new alcantara, despite the care I’ll take, I’ll send it to @GRP replacement every so often.

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I thought the leather wheel I had in mine was really nice. I am not sure if you have a chance to see or try either but the leather wheel has a textured/dimpled finishing rather than just being smooth. This gives it a nice tactile feel and a sporty look in keeping with the ‘sporty but daily’ cabin. I actually went for the Alcanata interior and in the 12+ months between spec lock and delivery the possible mismatch of a leather wheel to the alcantara interior, or even just the missed opportunity of choosing the alcantara wheel, was something I worried about. However, when the car arrived I was actually really pleased I had made that choice and it is probably the choice I would make again.

That said, I have an Alcantara wheel in the Emira’s replacement and it is really nice to hold and looks very purposeful coupled with alcantara buckets. As mentioned by others it doesn’t take much effort to keep it looking in top condition.

Roland

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Leather was my choice, also felt Alcantara would show use and wear, and really pleased with it, on the I4 also gone leather but with Red TDC

Roland

OP
ttvetdoc

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I thought the leather wheel I had in mine was really nice. I am not sure if you have a chance to see or try either but the leather wheel has a textured/dimpled finishing rather than just being smooth. This gives it a nice tactile feel and a sporty look in keeping with the ‘sporty but daily’ cabin. I actually went for the Alcanata interior and in the 12+ months between spec lock and delivery the possible mismatch of a leather wheel to the alcantara interior, or even just the missed opportunity of choosing the alcantara wheel, was something I worried about. However, when the car arrived I was actually really pleased I had made that choice and it is probably the choice I would make again.

That said, I have an Alcantara wheel in the Emira’s replacement and it is really nice to hold and looks very purposeful coupled with alcantara buckets. As mentioned by others it doesn’t take much effort to keep it looking in top condition.

It’s nice to know the leather is not just the standard smooth leather but dimpled/perforated, which should give it a nicer feel. I still have some time until my order goes in later this year, so hopefully I’ll come to a decision.

I believe one of the Emira’s (I’ve now driven two) had the alcantara wheel, but I was so focused on other things that I didn’t pay enough attention to the wheel in my 15 minutes of driving.

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have alcantara on my C8 stingray (2 yrs) and Z06 (new) but leather on my other two cars. I like the alcantara better but you have to be more mindful of keeping it nice. Lotion, food, .... on your hands will affect the appearance but you can maintain using something like Colourlock if you need to bring back to life :) Leather is way more hardy and easy to clean but I like the look/feel of alcantara. Good luck

Emira28

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I went for the alcantara, only 6 months and 1,000km in but so far I’m very happy I did. Sets it apart from my other cars and makes it more of an occasion.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My thoughts is leather for daily. Alcantara if you do lots of race track. Alcantara is more grippy to hold and sportier look and feel. But leather is more luxurious for a classy all leather interior, sort of GT car.

Jarrad

Reaction score
Leather for me. Always. Alcantara shows too much wear too quickly for a daily drive and there is so much alcantara and soft fabrics in the cockpit it's nice to have a change. Wouldn't change it after 2k miles 👍🏼

Reaction score

I have a C63 AMG 507 edition, comes with alcantara steering wheel from the factory, it's probably the worst thing of the car, there's no way to maintain it unless you wear gloves when driving!

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm getting alcantara interior (black/yellow) and still going with leather on the wheel. Concerned about wear and look on the wheel in the long run.
Shhhmee said he has alcantara on the wheel and wish he'd done leather now...for what thats worth. (in his latest emira video)

OP
ttvetdoc

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm getting alcantara interior (black/yellow) and still going with leather on the wheel. Concerned about wear and look on the wheel in the long run.
Shhhmee said he has alcantara on the wheel and wish he'd done leather now...for what thats worth. (in his latest emira video)

That video was actually what stirred up my indecision again. He said he was little torn on the choice (if he had to do it over again), but might lean slightly towards leather. I'll try and come to some consensus before I place my order later this year. The fact that the steering wheel leather is nice (dimple/perforated), does make it slightly more appealing than the standard flat leather wheel.

Last edited:

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Alcantera looks like crap eventually unless you are meticulous about it's care. I picked leather cause it is so much easier and looks better way longer.