Rev counter in track - who's smoking what at lotus

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
ive never owned, but drove a DBS for the weekend, years ago and yes its weird seeing the rev counter that way, its also weird as it stays very low or at least mine did...V12 of course.
The V8 sounds gorgeous too. Had a V12 Aston Virage for 3 years. Not sure much comes close for feel good. My kids still rate it the best car I’ve ever had. Probably because they could use it with me (back seats were big enough for when they were up to 13, so could usually get 2 of them in the car with me).

OUI131

Reaction score
Why do we need RPM why not % rpm with 100 being max, who really cares if it’s 6700 or 6800 max rpm, 100% always tells what you need to know.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I loved the display in my STIs. Clean, easy to read analog gauges with the tach dead center and even had a programmable shift light.

Not my video, but same gauges:

I really really love orange illumination. The STI cluster arrangement is exactly how it should be for enthusiasts/performance cars. Tach in the center, speedo to the side.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You don’t need an arrow. The hose on the pump tells you which side to do.
Actually that's not true. The standard is an arrow which either points to the left or the right. The pump hose is not reliable and not used as the indicator.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Actually that's not true. The standard is an arrow which either points to the left or the right. The pump hose is not reliable and not used as the indicator.
Im sure its not 100%, but I think the fuel cap is usually on the kerb side of the country in which the car is designed and built. THis is maybe if you break down, you dont need to walk out to the traffic to refill. Japanese cars have the fuel cap on the opposite side of the EU made cars, as they drive on opposite sides.
Maybe japanese cars made in the US alter this norm? Normally if they are made in Japan they would have the cap on the left as traffic in Japan goes on the left, the same as in the UK, India, Australia etc.
I have a Korean car, but its electric and the filler cap/recharge port is on the right., they drive on the right, so again makes sense, if anything does actually make sense here :)

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Im sure its not 100%, but I think the fuel cap is usually on the kerb side of the country in which the car is designed and built. THis is maybe if you break down, you dont need to walk out to the traffic to refill. Japanese cars have the fuel cap on the opposite side of the EU made cars, as they drive on opposite sides.
Maybe japanese cars made in the US alter this norm? Normally if they are made in Japan they would have the cap on the left as traffic in Japan goes on the left, the same as in the UK, India, Australia etc.
I have a Korean car, but its electric and the filler cap/recharge port is on the right., they drive on the right, so again makes sense, if anything does actually make sense here :)
I don't think this is the case. From cars that I've owned:

MakeCountrySide drivenFiller cap side
PorscheGermanyRightRight
FerrariItalyRightRight
Lotus (Elise)UKLeftRight
Toyota (MR2 Mk3)JapanLeftLeft
Subaru (Impreza WRX)JapanLeftRight

I believe the Lotus Esprit had two filler caps, one on each side!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Fuel filler is usually on the driver's side of the car, but for international models I guess it doesn't matter.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I don't think this is the case. From cars that I've owned:

MakeCountrySide drivenFiller cap side
PorscheGermanyRightRight
FerrariItalyRightRight
Lotus (Elise)UKLeftRight
Toyota (MR2 Mk3)JapanLeftLeft
Subaru (Impreza WRX)JapanLeftRight

excellent, but if we discount Lotus as being a bit weird or wanting more export sales than home sales.... and yes the esprit had 2 caps just in case haha, then the rule almost holds true and maybe entirely true.
EU made cars right and right and I think all EU makes do this, German, French, Italian etc. almost without question...
then, that just leaves the Subaru WRX, and that car is made in the USA for some markets, which would explain why it has it on the right and not the left.

I DONT know if your one was made in the US or Japan, but for sure they do make some of them in the US.
Im sticking to my guns, Lotus are weird and wonderful and in general the fuel cap is the "safest" side for the market the car is made for in the most part :).

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Fuel filler is usually on the driver's side of the car, but for international models I guess it doesn't matter.
No I think the opposite, its on the opposite side to the driver......
BMW are made based on LHD for EU or US China etc and they have the cap on the right, confusing, but I think you have it the reverse upside down backwards no?

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have three Lotus. Two have the filler on the right and one on the left. My Caterham fills through the back panel. All my motorbikes are filled through the top!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I have three Lotus. Two have the filler on the right and one on the left. My Caterham fills through the back panel. All my motorbikes are filled through the top!
which one has it on the left?
I think the emira has it on the right, which is weird, could be to do with the exhaust layout also I guess

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh no, I think I've opened pandora's box!

fuel-pandoras-box.png

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
On early Esprit's that's because there were two fuel tanks, with a balancer pipe in between. If you forgot to release the pressure on the non-filling cap it was possible to fill just one of the tanks without realising, then drive off and have the balancer activate and then find you only had half a tank!