Redefined SOON

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's interesting that of the half dozen or so Sept build people on here and other forums posting about checkout, none have said they've raised the question of getting a test drive before having to make the final commitment.

We know many people in the Oct and Nov build batches are waiting for a test drive before signing up. I wonder if Lotus shuffled the delivery deck to have known non-test people in the Sept and early Oct builds, and put known testers later.
i think there is something in this Tom. That happened to me exactly. I have been insistent on a test drive. Though, spec had been locked in since January.
I was down for production and delivery. In November/December. But LCS wanted me to commit 25/8/2022 to production Spec. Test drives they said would be available early September- but still we wait.
They (LCS) unilaterally decided that because I wouldn’t lock in for production. They relegated me to an unknown 2023 delivery schedule. That’s were we are at.
I guess if you comply and accept their requirements on specification/schedule/production and delivery. You are in the first listings. Irrespective when you placed your priority deposits or whether you were on dealer lists.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus do not want test drives to happen before cars start being delivered... Imagine 100's of depositors back out after test drive and Emira's appear at dealerships ready for sale. (if people down the line don't take them, due to winter delivery?) It would be a catastrophe waiting to happen. They will deliver the demo's once a hundred or so CX cars are fully paid for and awaiting delivery/ed. Probably after a "good" EVO track review and a scheme video to keep the people on the fence interested and defend the position of keeping the Emira, despite what a test drive reveals.
Plausible theory, but this assumes Lotus have a grand master plan, when everything we have seen to date (hopeless customer comms, unfinished cars being given to journalists, first cars going to Europe rather than UK, endless broken promises about timescales etc. ) suggests they are just firefighting and making it up as they go along :)

As a wise man once said (@TomE I believe), most things Lotus are cockup rather than conspiracy :p

I remain sanguine though. The car is going to be great and I can't wait to get mine.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Leonard - Your negativity beggars belief. I've grudgingly read your posts, over the weeks and months and have now come to the conclusion, that you are either a Walter Mitty Wannabe with no intention or capital to purchase an Emira (like quite a few on this forum) Or you are just a argumentative glute that loves the sound of his own voice.

You repeatedly harp on about the poor/indifferent Emira reviews.

What about the accolodaes. In particular, five motoring professionals who are all very very well respected for their opinions and motoring journalism in Chris Harris, Mat Watson, Rory Reid, Harry Metcalfe and lastly, love him or hate him Shmee150.

All of them were all totally and absolutely complimentary even euphoric about the Emira.

Lastly your pro Porsche rants are again probably coming from your Walter Mitty existence. Being someone who has actually purchased a new Cayman 718, I can say it was the only car that has ever broken down on me, blown turbo, blown exhaust, blown manifold etc etc.
I will never purchase another Porsche ever again.

No doubt you will reply with some sort of Smart Arse response. But be rest assured, it will fall on deaf ears, as I am now totally ingnoring any input you have on the Beautiful, Brilliant Emira.
Have you met @Eagle7 ??

rs200evo

Reaction score
I'm not sure in this day and age what people want to accomplish with a test drive? A car such as this is going to be way more competent than 90% of drivers, not that you can really 'push' a car on a test drive anyway. Curious to know what would make someone walk away from a deposit after a dealer test drive? Noise is pretty well known from the Evora and all the test reviews. Unless it's something as fundamental as 'my head touches the roof' I have no idea what else would make be back out after a 30min test drive.....

Manufactures don't really make 'bad' cars these days, those days are gone. If you buy it and it does not gel with you after six months, then it's probably going to be some small things that only irritate after that length of time. Worst case sell it for probably still a premium and move on.....

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm not sure in this day and age what people want to accomplish with a test drive? A car such as this is going to be way more competent than 90% of drivers, not that you can really 'push' a car on a test drive anyway. Curious to know what would make someone walk away from a deposit after a dealer test drive? Noise is pretty well known from the Evora and all the test reviews. Unless it's something as fundamental as 'my head touches the roof' I have no idea what else would make be back out after a 30min test drive.....

Manufactures don't really make 'bad' cars these days, those days are gone. If you buy it and it does not gel with you after six months, then it's probably going to be some small things that only irritate after that length of time. Worst case sell it for probably still a premium and move on.....
I guess the comparison feel factor.

If you were in 2 minds between let's say the Emira or a GT4 for example.
Test drive both, evaluate what feels the better car,which triggers your emotions more,which sounds better,which feels better,which looks better internally and externally(that one should already be decided).

The actual feel from inside the car cN ultimately determine if you buy it or not.
For me,the Emira is one of the most beautiful out there,definitely wins in that department.
But if the gear ratio,noise and feel of the drive doesn't tick the boxes,I will go elsewhere.

If you're not fussy and have loads of cash to spare this won't matter too much,but for people like me ,who intend to only buy a brand new car once in their life, this has got to tick all the right boxes

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's interesting that of the half dozen or so Sept build people on here and other forums posting about checkout, none have said they've raised the question of getting a test drive before having to make the final commitment.

We know many people in the Oct and Nov build batches are waiting for a test drive before signing up. I wonder if Lotus shuffled the delivery deck to have known non-test people in the Sept and early Oct builds, and put known testers later.
Tom as you know I was pre-reveal like you and have met Scott on several occasions, he even delivered my last Evora 410 GT Sport to me at Snows he knows I want the Emira and have never suggested I want a test drive before but I have been shuffled back like you and just get fobbed off every time I speak to customer services. I work at Thruxton circuit on school days and the customers who have driven the Alpine are very impressed as am I. Alpine have just brought out an R with sub 4s 0 to 60 so it looks good of the earlier cars there are a few second hand cars on the market as well and they are good vale for money!!!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I think it's the most plausible. Having a bunch of Emira's getting re-listed for sale or packing dealer lot's would certainly be a marketing disaster and fail. Don't get me wrong there will always be a few getting flipped out for whatever reason. But I am sure they are cognizant of not wanting too much of that/minimizing it. It must be a well discussed concern in the boardroom's (zoom Calls?) at Hethel. I know for Ferrari, it is one of the most important subjects that is discussed. Supply/demand balance.

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I want a test drive even though I have owned two new Evora’s in the last 9 years a Sports Racer and a Evora400.

The reason is transmission noise at low speed.

Wind noise from door seals, never resolved on the Evora400

Selected sports and Cup2’s but Harry and Schmee150 both have been shocked with ride quality, I need to experience if it suits me.

Why should anyone not check out these issues during a test drive and indeed - is it better or worse than the Evora.
If you want to select a car without a test, that’s your prerogative, I did it once in 2003 and car went on its way after 6months at a large financial loss.

I have seen Emira’s being tested where the driver comments on the transmission noise, the Lotus engineer - states “oh they all do that” just like the earlier vehicles (Exige/Evora’s) what type of comment is that? Does it fill you with confidence? Not me.

That is the reason. But, here in the UK we have been told we can test before lock in- not the case and we have been penalised for it as far as I can see.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Tom as you know I was pre-reveal like you and have met Scott on several occasions, he even delivered my last Evora 410 GT Sport to me at Snows he knows I want the Emira and have never suggested I want a test drive before but I have been shuffled back like you and just get fobbed off every time I speak to customer services. I work at Thruxton circuit on school days and the customers who have driven the Alpine are very impressed as am I. Alpine have just brought out an R with sub 4s 0 to 60 so it looks good of the earlier cars there are a few second hand cars on the market as well and they are good vale for money!!!
This is where we are now. The lack of comms and inconsistent delivery process just breeds ill will and conspiracy theories.
Such a shame as Lotus had an amazing opportunity to engage and do the 'right thing' by their customer base. Something newbie Wannabe GT Porsche owners can only dream of.
Not bringing the devout Lotus owner/connoisseur along on this journey as ambassadors and doing the right thing by them is also a mistake.
I'd love to know at what point Lotus Senior management knew they had a problem with supply and chose not to tell us. I know there is no lawful cause for them to tell us but morally it's the right thing to do if you want to build customer loyalty.
If I was told back on April/May my car wouldn't be delivered June/July I'd have taken my deposit back yes and bought something else. But I'd also have appreciated the truthful feedback and revisited the brand at a future date for sure.
I wonder how many choosing not to go ahead after continued delays, lack of communication and engagement will feel the same now?

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have to agree to disagree.
In Spain, at least where I come from, "mañana" in practice is exclusively referred to "tomorrow".
Of course, like everywhere in the world there might be people that don't fulfill there promises.
Mañana in Bilbao is tomorrow
Mañana in Andalucia is soon 🍻👍🇪🇸

Attachments

• F02A50F1-7020-486F-A4C0-194EA925AC71.MOV
    3.6 MB

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This is where we are now. The lack of comms and inconsistent delivery process just breeds ill will and conspiracy theories.
Such a shame as Lotus had an amazing opportunity to engage and do the 'right thing' by their customer base. Something newbie Wannabe GT Porsche owners can only dream of.
Not bringing the devout Lotus owner/connoisseur along on this journey as ambassadors and doing the right thing by them is also a mistake.
I'd love to know at what point Lotus Senior management knew they had a problem with supply and chose not to tell us. I know there is no lawful cause for them to tell us but morally it's the right thing to do if you want to build customer loyalty.
If I was told back on April/May my car wouldn't be delivered June/July I'd have taken my deposit back yes and bought something else. But I'd also have appreciated the truthful feedback and revisited the brand at a future date for sure.
I wonder how many choosing not to go ahead after continued delays, lack of communication and engagement will feel the same now?
Mañana in Latin America means never, because tomorrow never arrives!
Truth is Lotus is not happy with the cars and they are trying to fix and finalize them. This could take months 😢. There are many subsystems and all of them need to be finished and be repeatable..
This will take time. Personally I would prefer to wait than get a car that has issues!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Truth is Lotus is not happy with the cars and they are trying to fix and finalize them. This could take months 😢. There are many subsystems and all of them need to be finished and be repeatable..
This will take time. Personally I would prefer to wait than get a car that has issues!
Totally 💯 %
Be nice to know what is going on though hey 🤷
Everyone has different circumstances.

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Exactly right, patience is a virtue….. that a lot of Boomers don’t seem to have

Emira2023

Reaction score
Q3 2023 'soon' for Base it appears...
Swapped out for an i4 FE as just liked the idea of a modern engine and Dual Clutch.
But brain still keeps going over to a V6 AUTO FE.
#Indecisive

I guess time is on my side though :)

1665080381296.png

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Have you met @Eagle7 ??
Lol, not sure what to make of this. Is this a compliment or am I being painted as the equally undesirable polar opposite of Leonard?

At this point, I've seen all the videos I need to see, seen all the photos I need to see, read all the reports/reviews/comments I need to see. Now I'm just going to patiently wait until my car is delivered, about 7 months from now if there are no further delays. That gives me 7 months to work out some routes for fun drives and road trips. I want to focus on the part where we have fun. If that makes me some kind of undesirable or extremist, so be it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

As with Forlorn, I want to see and drive a finalised production car and see if Lotus have addressed the points highlighted as not yet final in the reviews and showings of pre-prod cars. And if it has been compromised compared to a late model Evora to give it wider daily driving appeal.

I’m also concerned from seeing the production demo car at B&C that some aspects of the build and quality are not up to par. That might mean I defer from an early car now into next year when they’ve learnt from building a few 100s more and we’re into Spring.

My list of things I want to check is here:

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/anyone-thinking-twice-about-buying-emira.1968/post-54070

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Q3 2023 'soon' for Base it appears...
Swapped out for an i4 FE as just liked the idea of a modern engine and Dual Clutch.
But brain still keeps going over to a V6 AUTO FE.
#Indecisive

I guess time is on my side though :)

View attachment 9522
YOU HAVE MADE RIGHT CHOICE, 2 CLUTCHES ARE BETTER THAN ONE!! :) ONCE YOU LEARN HOW TO PADDLE SHIFT, YOUR PAIN WILL SHIFT FROM YOUR KNEES, TO YOUR KNUCKLES... :ROFLMAO:

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I read everything I can get my hands on when researching a car. I have bought several based on that without taking test drives (c6z06, 350z, Mustang GT, Lincoln Aviator) and I have yet to be disappointed...not to say it won't ever happen! And I'm not sure if a test drive a year before I get my car would even be good from an eagerness standpoint..:)