Redefined SOON

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
After an arsey email sent to Lotus articulating my lack of belief that they will keep to their promised schedule and the lack of communication, I had a reassuring (if not another diversion) response which also includes what I presume is the rewording for the often used "SOON"

"We will be sending out an official communication in regard to test drives in the upcoming weeks"

apparently my build is still on for October with November delivery too..... just as I enquired about a 360...
I'll believe that when I see it

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
After an arsey email sent to Lotus articulating my lack of belief that they will keep to their promised schedule and the lack of communication, I had a reassuring (if not another diversion) response which also includes what I presume is the rewording for the often used "SOON"

"We will be sending out an official communication in regard to test drives in the upcoming weeks"

apparently my build is still on for October with November delivery too..... just as I enquired about a 360...
I'll believe that when I see it
Lol got the same as usual never answered any of my questions- CS never provide an actual answer to a question

Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that your Emira is scheduled for production this month with delivery in November, this is subject to change however we are still on track.
We will have further updates on test drives within the next week or so, and will confirm this with an official communication.

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Copied for Richard Kendall on FB forum
First 50 cars that were for Sept delivery are being finished off on a daily basis once final parts received and will go through delivery checkout process during October to have that working smoothly.

There will then be a ramping up for the next group of 500 which includes October build for November delivery.

Hopefully the first 50 still being finalised will not delay October build for November deliveries, but likely for a number this could extend into December. Whilst cars are being built and some need parts to finish, there is only so much storage space to have so many cars part built.

Also a focus on having cars for test drives.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus are doing the best they can to get the cars assembled and out the door. I can’t really ask for more.

At least they’re not doing what some other manufacturers (competitors) are doing and stripping out features or downgrading specifications without customer consent.

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
First 50 cars that were for Sept delivery are being finished off on a daily basis once final parts received and will go through delivery checkout process during October to have that working smoothly.

There will then be a ramping up for the next group of 500 which includes October build for November delivery.

Hopefully the first 50 still being finalised will not delay October build for November deliveries, but likely for a number this could extend into December. Whilst cars are being built and some need parts to finish, there is only so much storage space to have so many cars part built.

So let me get this straight, I draw pretty pictures because I suck at math!! so October has 31 days ( happy Halloween) and they want to build 500 by that time by hand, and the first 50 still been built?? in America we had an old FedEx commercial...."There's FedEx and not exactly" I'll take the latter!! by the time this whole mess is over, you guys will call me Nostradamus, I'm expecting my I4 at best, at the end of 2024!!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
500 is the “next batch” not just Oct build. I suspect that is Oct, Nov and Dec build

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Perhaps this is more appropriate?

mañana
adverb
Definition of mañana
: at an indefinite time in the future
Well, I wish, because mañana in Spanish means exactly tomorrow !

i am guessing the definition for "soon" by Lotus is closer to the expression in Mexico "ahorita mismo", which literally is "right now", but in practice is "sometime in the future depending on the mood"
32 years ago, during my honeymoon at a hotel in Mexico, I asked for a "piña colada", the waiter replied "ahorita mismo", therefore I was expecting it in less than 5 minutes, it turned out "next day"
Thanks God I was busy with my newly wed tasks!

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

i am guessing the definition for "soon" by Lotus is closer to the expression in Mexico "ahorita mismo", which literally is "right now", but in practice is "sometime in the future depending on the mood"
32 years ago, during my honeymoon at a hotel in Mexico, I asked for a "piña colada", the waiter replied "ahorita mismo", therefore I was expecting it in less than 5 minutes, it turned out "next day"
Hey, I'm from further south the continent and have learned the subtle differences. "Ahora" means soon but is undetermined...so can be a while...(Lotus style) and "Ahorita" means immediately (not in Lotus vocabulary).

A este paso deberíamos sugerir una fábrica de Lotus en Mx.

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Despite the official meaning, our many years experience in Spain is that mañana hardly ever refers to tomorrow, "soon" is a good comparison ;)

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Why put a focus on having cars for test drives? Obviously they don't need it to boost sales as they already have their production booked into/through '24. How' bout just making them and start satisfying the poor folks who have been waiting so long? Maybe Lotus is doing the test car program so they can beta-test the cars before being on the hook for warranty repairs...:)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Why put a focus on having cars for test drives? Obviously they don't need it to boost sales as they already have their production booked into/through '24. How' bout just making them and start satisfying the poor folks who have been waiting so long? Maybe Lotus is doing the test car program so they can beta-test the cars before being on the hook for warranty repairs...:)
Test drives are a focus because many deposit holders have said they don’t want to commit to purchasing without a test drive.

Normally with a pre-launch, deposit holders have to accept they’ll be buying with limited info and possibly no test drive.

Lotus reset that expectation in Dec/Jan when they decided not to ask for a third non-refundable deposit and contractual commitment for UK cars, which was the original plan. Instead they allowed people to defer contractual commitment to 30 days before delivery and told people they could have a test drive before committing, if they wanted.

This change was partly to help manage the delays and also to reduce the risk of people pulling out when asked to commit early.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Test drives are a focus because many deposit holders have said they don’t want to commit to purchasing without a test drive.

Normally with a pre-launch, deposit holders have to accept they’ll be buying with limited info and possibly no test drive.

Lotus reset that expectation in Dec/Jan when they decided not to ask for a third non-refundable deposit and contractual commitment for UK cars, which was the original plan. Instead they allowed people to defer contractual commitment to 30 days before delivery and told people they could have a test drive before committing, if they wanted.

This change was partly to help manage the delays and also to reduce the risk of people pulling out when asked to commit early.
Plus you can sometimes rely on early press test drives to make an informed decision. But Lotus chose to test unfinished cars leading to poor/indifferent reviews, meaning customer test drives of production ready cars are even more important than they would be with other marques

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Despite the official meaning, our many years experience in Spain is that mañana hardly ever refers to tomorrow, "soon" is a good comparison ;)
I have to agree to disagree.
In Spain, at least where I come from, "mañana" in practice is exclusively referred to "tomorrow".
Of course, like everywhere in the world there might be people that don't fulfill there promises.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus do not want test drives to happen before cars start being delivered... Imagine 100's of depositors back out after test drive and Emira's appear at dealerships ready for sale. (if people down the line don't take them, due to winter delivery?) It would be a catastrophe waiting to happen. They will deliver the demo's once a hundred or so CX cars are fully paid for and awaiting delivery/ed. Probably after a "good" EVO track review and a scheme video to keep the people on the fence interested and defend the position of keeping the Emira, despite what a test drive reveals.

Watstone

Reaction score
Plus you can sometimes rely on early press test drives to make an informed decision. But Lotus chose to test unfinished cars leading to poor/indifferent reviews, meaning customer test drives of production ready cars are even more important than they would be with other marques
Leonard - Your negativity beggars belief. I've grudgingly read your posts, over the weeks and months and have now come to the conclusion, that you are either a Walter Mitty Wannabe with no intention or capital to purchase an Emira (like quite a few on this forum) Or you are just a argumentative glute that loves the sound of his own voice.

You repeatedly harp on about the poor/indifferent Emira reviews.

What about the accolodaes. In particular, five motoring professionals who are all very very well respected for their opinions and motoring journalism in Chris Harris, Mat Watson, Rory Reid, Harry Metcalfe and lastly, love him or hate him Shmee150.

All of them were all totally and absolutely complimentary even euphoric about the Emira.

Lastly your pro Porsche rants are again probably coming from your Walter Mitty existence. Being someone who has actually purchased a new Cayman 718, I can say it was the only car that has ever broken down on me, blown turbo, blown exhaust, blown manifold etc etc.
I will never purchase another Porsche ever again.

No doubt you will reply with some sort of Smart Arse response. But be rest assured, it will fall on deaf ears, as I am now totally ingnoring any input you have on the Beautiful, Brilliant Emira.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus do not want test drives to happen before cars start being delivered... Imagine 100's of depositors back out after test drive and Emira's appear at dealerships ready for sale. (if people down the line don't take them, due to winter delivery?) It would be a catastrophe waiting to happen. They will deliver the demo's once a hundred or so CX cars are fully paid for and awaiting delivery/ed. Probably after a "good" EVO track review and a scheme video to keep the people on the fence interested and defend the position of keeping the Emira, despite what a test drive reveals.
It's interesting that of the half dozen or so Sept build people on here and other forums posting about checkout, none have said they've raised the question of getting a test drive before having to make the final commitment.

We know many people in the Oct and Nov build batches are waiting for a test drive before signing up. I wonder if Lotus shuffled the delivery deck to have known non-test people in the Sept and early Oct builds, and put known testers later.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Aw that makes too much sense...:) Good point!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Leonard - Your negativity beggars belief. I've grudgingly read your posts, over the weeks and months and have now come to the conclusion, that you are either a Walter Mitty Wannabe with no intention or capital to purchase an Emira (like quite a few on this forum) Or you are just a argumentative glute that loves the sound of his own voice.

You repeatedly harp on about the poor/indifferent Emira reviews.

What about the accolodaes. In particular, five motoring professionals who are all very very well respected for their opinions and motoring journalism in Chris Harris, Mat Watson, Rory Reid, Harry Metcalfe and lastly, love him or hate him Shmee150.

All of them were all totally and absolutely complimentary even euphoric about the Emira.

Lastly your pro Porsche rants are again probably coming from your Walter Mitty existence. Being someone who has actually purchased a new Cayman 718, I can say it was the only car that has ever broken down on me, blown turbo, blown exhaust, blown manifold etc etc.
I will never purchase another Porsche ever again.

No doubt you will reply with some sort of Smart Arse response. But be rest assured, it will fall on deaf ears, as I am now totally ingnoring any input you have on the Beautiful, Brilliant Emira.
Lol I don't see anything in my post as negative.
Lotus released unfinished cars for testing by the media leading to mixed reviews.
So all I'm saying is its more important than ever for Lotus to get completed cars to dealers for test drive.
I'm certainly not a dreamer, but then I also don't waste money on products that don't meet expectation. I want this car to perform as well as it looks. Its clear that there are plenty of more well heeled posers on here that care only about the looks and the kudos of early ownership.
Edited to add: I certainly wouldn't say Porsche is the be all and end all they have issues like everyone else. They just offer what is probably the best all round package, engineering and ownership experience out of the box no mods required. Your car doesn't exactly look std for a turbo 718 so tuning it would most likely put pressure on all of the parts you mention that failed. But I'm sure you will say it was standard so no point in us discussing as you say (added as you seemed to expect a smart arse comment)

Last edited: