• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Checkout email, Lotus communication, still in (just)

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Like they say on the various reality TV shows, it's been a "journey" :)

The missing emails are most likely an error in their CRM system. I know several people have had the marketing preferences box set to "no emails" without ever asking Lotus not to send emails.

Not sure where you are in the UK, but hope you have a great route and helpful dealer for your test drive. My local dealer has said the conversion rate for people who test drive and go on to purchase is very high. It is a great car, if what it is attempting to do fits with your use case. If you've never owned a Lotus but loved driving an Elise then I think you'll enjoy the Emira - it's a grown up version with more usability but the same steering and ride & handling DNA.

It'll be interesting to hear how your discussion with Nicola goes about your complaint. If you do want to escalate it further let me know and I can provide relevant email addresses.

As others have said, Lotus cars can have foibles and it's one of the reasons there is a very active owners community, sharing the challenges and fixes as well as the common bond of a niche and interesting sportscar. There are several good indies around the country if you don't get the level of service you need from your nearest dealer.

TomE,

Thanks as ever for your helpful and comprehensive comments.

Just had my test drive and will post thoughts on that shortly.

Not sure where Nicola fits into the hierarchy but I was told Sharon was head of Customer Services and I am due to have a call with her when she is back in the office at the end of the month.

Will let you know how I go.

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So after 7 delays (Spring 22, August 22, Sept 22, November 22, December 22, March 23 and now April 23) I have finally received my checkout email.

I only knew it had been sent yesterday (they sent it to the wrong email address !) when I was on the phone to Customer Service today seeking to elevate a compliant about zero pro-active communication from Lotus - not once since I placed the order in July 2021 have Lotus pro-actively contacted me to update on delivery timing ! Every time it has got close to the promised date I have called or emailed and only then been told of yet another delay.

As I have said on here a few times, I can understand production delays (new car, new approvals, new production facility, Brexit, Covid, Ukraine etc) but what I find it very hard to forgive is the horrendous customer service. I was told the only way to escalate a complaint is to make a comment on the customer satisfaction survey that they send after a call (which I have never received). I pushed and have a call next month with the head of Customer Service. The point of my escalating is to pass on feedback that hopefully means they improve. I want Lotus to succeed but fear they won't unless they get a grip of the customer interface. If anyone has Windle's email then let me know.

Interestingly (to me at least), Customer Service said that "Lotus HQ" had been proactively sending out updates to customers on the production delays. I have never received one and was told this was because my "marketing preferences were turned off" - not sure what that has to do with updates to customer who has placed an order ? But I share that in case it helps others.

I have a test drive tomorrow to make my final decision whether to close out the purchase or walk away. Right now I am 50:50 (having been so excited when I put my first deposit down). I won't repeat the same reasons from the many pages on this forum but in short the reasons I am on the fence are;

1) hopeless customer service (what will aftersales be like ?) and 7 delays of approx a year have taken the shine off
2) numerous quality control problems as covered elsewhere - my nearest dealer is an hour away
3) changing specs and dodgy practices (like all website images being slammed)
4) mixed reviews - some from journals that I like/trust

The reasons I am still in and haven't walked away;

1) I love the way the car looks - particularly its compact baby supercar looks
2) would be my first Lotus - I had posters of them as a kid and have always loved the brand, driven 7s and Elises and loved them
3) hydraulic steering

Spec; V6 manual, DV, silver wheels, yellow callipers, touring, lower black pack, privacy glass, tan leather

Wish me luck on the final decision !

Test drive done

I was 50:50 before the drive - going to soak on it over the weekend but currently 80:20 that I am in.

Drove my drivetrain/suspension spec i.e. V6 manual touring. Very rainy/wet and lots of traffic so wasn't able to real stretch the car or lean into many corners but still enjoyed the test drive;

Start with the positive;
Steering - very communicative as expected. I went to/from the dealer in my 991.1 GTS and the steering tells you a lot more in the Emira.
Ride - with the Touring set up I found the car soaked up the loads of bumps, ridges and lumps typical of UK roads very well. For those who know 911s the Touring felt like GTS PASM set in Comfort. So I am glad of my choice as I very rarely click Sport in other cars (even on track).
Gearbox - having heard a lot about it, I was worried I wouldn't like the box but it felt fine. More mechanical than a cooking Porsche manual and heavier but I thought its "heft" actually suited the car well and was a positive diferentiator. Not as good as GT3, MX5 or GR Yaris but still fine.
Looks - great looking car in all the colours that I saw (Nimbus, Seneca, DV). Like the proportions and it is sure to be a head turner. They had two customer DVs in the showroom, one with my tan leather spec (went before I took a photo). Happy with that combo although I don't think it looks its best under artificial light.
Stereo - connected my phone ok on wireless CarPlay and banged on some favourite tunes. Was better than I had feared based on various comments. Fine for me and on a par with Bose in a Porker (but not Burmester).
Mirrors - I liked the size and long shape of the door mirrors - gave a great view backwards and the view from the rear view not bad either (subject to one of my dislikes below).
Storage - the rear boot is wider than I expected and the shelf behind the folding seats is a properly useful size. Not as much storage as a Cayman or 911 but more than an MX5 (I keep comparing to cars I own/have owned)

The not so good bits;
Engine noise - its quiet (as expected) in Touring and wakes up with a deeper note and some cracks and pops on the overrun in Sport (given it was wet I didn't try Track, not that I think that makes any difference exhaust wise) but the engine noise inside the car only seems to get really going at about 5000 rpm. On the way home I played with the 991's sports exhaust button and when pressed the flat 6 exhaust note starts going crazy at about 2500 rpm. Given the gearing on the Emira you are going to be going some to be above 5000 rpm on busy roads. So for a usable everyday sports car with sensible power I thought the exhaust note was a bit of a miss. I did quite like the supercharger whine though.
Water in boot - as I mentioned it was raining and puddle of water on the boot/engine cover which went straight into the boot itself (not the engine bay) when the dealer opened the boot. Interestingly he said that "Lotus were working on a fix for this issue". Not sure what that would be or if anyone else heard that. If I do take the car I'll take a silicon blade in the car with me and get rid of that water before opening the boot !
Seat height - I am 6'1" and could not get the drivers seat as low as I would have liked. Not a headroom issue (fine) but a driving position point. Pedals were fine.
Steering wheel - I really did not like the wheel. It is way to thick but its worse than a BMW M wheel in that its shape is odd just where I normally hold the wheel at 10 to 3. There is a kind of bulge and then a ridge where the textured outside bit joins the inner non textured bit. My least favourite bit of Emira and a lesson in style over substance. The simple 991.1 wheel I got back into was a lesson in how to make a steering wheel.
Gear knob - looks lovely in its machined alloy state, initially felt lovely (I like that it feels cold) until I started to notice something scratchy at the front of the knob (out of sight by the dash). On inspection this is a hole for a hex bolt to secure the knob to the stick. This is the only car I have found this on - others manage to have a screw on approach. Shame as feels cheap.

I haven't mentioned power or cornering as the conditions didn't really allow for me to properly test either and draw firm conclusions. But from the way the car rides and steers I think the handling will be all that I hoped it would be from a Lotus. 400 ish BHP is fine for me in a car for UK roads, just wish it sang a nicer tune.

Interim Conclusion - I am still in and have moved from my 50:50 before the test to 80:20 that I'll complete the journey. I'l soak on it over the weekend. My teenage son wants me to complete so that may play a factor.

I know there are loads of photos around now but I'll post a couple in case anyone interested.

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Test drive done

I was 50:50 before the drive - going to soak on it over the weekend but currently 80:20 that I am in.

Drove my drivetrain/suspension spec i.e. V6 manual touring. Very rainy/wet and lots of traffic so wasn't able to real stretch the car or lean into many corners but still enjoyed the test drive;

Start with the positive;
Steering - very communicative as expected. I went to/from the dealer in my 991.1 GTS and the steering tells you a lot more in the Emira.
Ride - with the Touring set up I found the car soaked up the loads of bumps, ridges and lumps typical of UK roads very well. For those who know 911s the Touring felt like GTS PASM set in Comfort. So I am glad of my choice as I very rarely click Sport in other cars (even on track).
Gearbox - having heard a lot about it, I was worried I wouldn't like the box but it felt fine. More mechanical than a cooking Porsche manual and heavier but I thought its "heft" actually suited the car well and was a positive diferentiator. Not as good as GT3, MX5 or GR Yaris but still fine.
Looks - great looking car in all the colours that I saw (Nimbus, Seneca, DV). Like the proportions and it is sure to be a head turner. They had two customer DVs in the showroom, one with my tan leather spec (went before I took a photo). Happy with that combo although I don't think it looks its best under artificial light.
Stereo - connected my phone ok on wireless CarPlay and banged on some favourite tunes. Was better than I had feared based on various comments. Fine for me and on a par with Bose in a Porker (but not Burmester).
Mirrors - I liked the size and long shape of the door mirrors - gave a great view backwards and the view from the rear view not bad either (subject to one of my dislikes below).
Storage - the rear boot is wider than I expected and the shelf behind the folding seats is a properly useful size. Not as much storage as a Cayman or 911 but more than an MX5 (I keep comparing to cars I own/have owned)

The not so good bits;
Engine noise - its quiet (as expected) in Touring and wakes up with a deeper note and some cracks and pops on the overrun in Sport (given it was wet I didn't try Track, not that I think that makes any difference exhaust wise) but the engine noise inside the car only seems to get really going at about 5000 rpm. On the way home I played with the 991's sports exhaust button and when pressed the flat 6 exhaust note starts going crazy at about 2500 rpm. Given the gearing on the Emira you are going to be going some to be above 5000 rpm on busy roads. So for a usable everyday sports car with sensible power I thought the exhaust note was a bit of a miss. I did quite like the supercharger whine though.
Water in boot - as I mentioned it was raining and puddle of water on the boot/engine cover which went straight into the boot itself (not the engine bay) when the dealer opened the boot. Interestingly he said that "Lotus were working on a fix for this issue". Not sure what that would be or if anyone else heard that. If I do take the car I'll take a silicon blade in the car with me and get rid of that water before opening the boot !
Seat height - I am 6'1" and could not get the drivers seat as low as I would have liked. Not a headroom issue (fine) but a driving position point. Pedals were fine.
Steering wheel - I really did not like the wheel. It is way to thick but its worse than a BMW M wheel in that its shape is odd just where I normally hold the wheel at 10 to 3. There is a kind of bulge and then a ridge where the textured outside bit joins the inner non textured bit. My least favourite bit of Emira and a lesson in style over substance. The simple 991.1 wheel I got back into was a lesson in how to make a steering wheel.
Gear knob - looks lovely in its machined alloy state, initially felt lovely (I like that it feels cold) until I started to notice something scratchy at the front of the knob (out of sight by the dash). On inspection this is a hole for a hex bolt to secure the knob to the stick. This is the only car I have found this on - others manage to have a screw on approach. Shame as feels cheap.

I haven't mentioned power or cornering as the conditions didn't really allow for me to properly test either and draw firm conclusions. But from the way the car rides and steers I think the handling will be all that I hoped it would be from a Lotus. 400 ish BHP is fine for me in a car for UK roads, just wish it sang a nicer tune.

Interim Conclusion - I am still in and have moved from my 50:50 before the test to 80:20 that I'll complete the journey. I'l soak on it over the weekend. My teenage son wants me to complete so that may play a factor.

I know there are loads of photos around now but I'll post a couple in case anyone interested.

Attachments

• 7DA49970-7FA8-4258-AEEA-F843438617F9.jpeg
    7DA49970-7FA8-4258-AEEA-F843438617F9.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 8D77D314-3401-4B08-AD9D-F8175EC058DF.jpeg
    8D77D314-3401-4B08-AD9D-F8175EC058DF.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 85
  • CBC18F0E-3445-4A4D-A4EC-7AB0B48706DF.jpeg
    CBC18F0E-3445-4A4D-A4EC-7AB0B48706DF.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2C61E04C-71D6-486B-86CD-5C170986D7F3.jpeg
    2C61E04C-71D6-486B-86CD-5C170986D7F3.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 3C9CEEE5-3987-4ACD-BED8-747599C4D587.jpeg
    3C9CEEE5-3987-4ACD-BED8-747599C4D587.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 44B03A41-84DB-42F6-899B-D50CE5D5D488.jpeg
    44B03A41-84DB-42F6-899B-D50CE5D5D488.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 5669D3B8-7EDE-4033-BFF0-830D754F01EB.jpeg
    5669D3B8-7EDE-4033-BFF0-830D754F01EB.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 82
  • 94E187E9-775F-418B-BEAD-373D6FC21AB2.jpeg
    94E187E9-775F-418B-BEAD-373D6FC21AB2.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 87

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was at B&C yesterday!
How black did that green Emira look!!!
In fact, I walked right passed it to the nimbus one as my mind must have dismissed it as an Evora/Exige/ :D

The steering wheel and gearknob I mentioned in my 'dislikes' video, plus the unfit-for-purpose cup-holders. Not worried about the rain bit.
The engine noise.. will be sorted for me in April when I pick up the Emira post-exhaust fitting. Looking forward to reporting back on that!

Conversely to the green, the Nimbus, like red, looks amazing in the artificial light.
The blue one at the other end looked a bit kit-carry in that colour weirdly.

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was at B&C yesterday!
How black did that green Emira look!!!
In fact, I walked right passed it to the nimbus one as my mind must have dismissed it as an Evora/Exige/ :D

The steering wheel and gearknob I mentioned in my 'dislikes' video, plus the unfit-for-purpose cup-holders. Not worried about the rain bit.
The engine noise.. will be sorted for me in April when I pick up the Emira post-exhaust fitting. Looking forward to reporting back on that!

Conversely to the green, the Nimbus, like red, looks amazing in the artificial light.
The blue one at the other end looked a bit kit-carry in that colour weirdly.

Emotion,

Thanks for the link to your video which I hadn’t seen - we have plenty of views in common for sure.

Your commentary on the weird shaped steering wheel exactly where your hands go is spot on. I too have smallish hands and reckon it will actually be sore on a long journey.

I haven’t driven the Sport suspension so can’t compare but I was very happy with Touring - each to their own !

Great video 👌

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
TomE,

Thanks as ever for your helpful and comprehensive comments.

Just had my test drive and will post thoughts on that shortly.

Not sure where Nicola fits into the hierarchy but I was told Sharon was head of Customer Services and I am due to have a call with her when she is back in the office at the end of the month.

Will let you know how I go.
Nicola is Head of Customer Experience, so Sharon's boss.

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Test drive done

Start with the positive;

The not so good bits;

Decision made. I am in and will keep the faith. ✊

In the end I asked myself the regret test - and reckon I would regret not going through and actually owning an Emira after the long journey we have all been on, than getting the car and deciding I had made a mistake.

So I went to checkout. Excitement building.….drum roll…..and the link was broken !

Another call to CS tomorrow 🙄

Attachments

• CA55E767-4992-46A2-905E-174F4EFF5E11.jpeg
    CA55E767-4992-46A2-905E-174F4EFF5E11.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 36
OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Having decided to go ahead I emailed CS and very promptly got a new checkout email.

Link worked this time. All going well until got to a “Verify your Identity” page. The options were to “Start Again” or “Receive an email to your email address xxx”.

I opted for the latter and the email didn’t arrive. Checked junk etc. No where to be found. Clicked Resend. Same issue.

Calling CS at 10 !

Really looks like their CRM system is a bit temperamental

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Having decided to go ahead I emailed CS and very promptly got a new checkout email.

Link worked this time. All going well until got to a “Verify your Identity” page. The options were to “Start Again” or “Receive an email to your email address xxx”.

I opted for the latter and the email didn’t arrive. Checked junk etc. No where to be found. Clicked Resend. Same issue.

Calling CS at 10 !

Really looks like their CRM system is a bit temperamental
I had the same, rang customer services and did it all over the phone in 5 minutes

OP
Emirahep

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I had the same, rang customer services and did it all over the phone in 5 minutes
Did the same. Sorted quickly and checkout done. Asked how long to pick up from Hethel and was told 2-3 weeks. 🤞