• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Has anyone successfully rejected their car

Reaction score
Ive been without my car since 17th November having had starting issues since late October.

Customer services still have no answers. The dealership say i can have the car “and live with it” but it isnt fixed.

What do you do? Ive tried telling customer services i want to reject the car ive had promises of call backs escalation to management, “There’s a meeting with the technical team to get an update”, But i have heard nothing back at all, i have always had to initiate any communication, to be honest scammers would do a more professional job!

Any advice from anyone who has made progress. Im just so frustrated and disappointed

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In Germany, you have to allow the seller to fix the problem two times. You can set realistic timeframes. If they fail to do so, you can just withdraw from the contract.
Would surprise me if the UK wouldn't have something similar in place

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ive been without my car since 17th November having had starting issues since late October.

Customer services still have no answers. The dealership say i can have the car “and live with it” but it isnt fixed.

What do you do? Ive tried telling customer services i want to reject the car ive had promises of call backs escalation to management, “There’s a meeting with the technical team to get an update”, But i have heard nothing back at all, i have always had to initiate any communication, to be honest scammers would do a more professional job!

Any advice from anyone who has made progress. Im just so frustrated and disappointed
When it's this serious, you go to the very top with a polite but factual email detailing the problem and what you expect from Lotus to resolve it. Matt Windle is the MD and Geoff Dowding is Director for Sales and Aftersales. Their email addresses are readily available. Send your email there with read receipts. The options for resolution should include a full refund if your demands are not met.

I had a very serious issue within the first 1000 miles and the Lotus and dealer response was excellent.

Trickytimes

Reaction score
I have the same problem and despite the dealers best efforts they can’t fix it. I just don’t trust it anymore and my wife will no longer drive it. Last time I went out in it a couple of weeks ago I left the engine running whilst I filled it with fuel as I just don't know whether it will start or not. Lotus clearly don’t care which is a shame, if they were interested I would have a very different view on the matter. My plan is to try my luck with the legal cover on my Hiscox home insurance. I will update this thread if it gets me anywhere.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In order to reject a car in the UK, you have to firstly let them fix your car at least twice within a reasonable timescale. After the second attempt, if it’s still not fixed, you may be offered a new car from stock.

I’ve successfully rejected my car recently after exhausting all the above attempts. It’s taken 3 months to do so as Lotus are not proactive in contacting you obviously. They will ignore you. They definitely won’t ring you. Escalations manager is always off and no one else takes over. You have to keep emailing them once a week for progress and chase them for 4 weeks after handing the car back for money they owe you. Lotus will breach their contract and honestly they don’t give a flying f**ck.

I get the impression that customer services is contracted out like the finance department. Nothing is connected. It’s one department after another when you call them. You cannot be connected to the escalations team, they don’t take incoming calls.

Im not a Lotus fan boy nor am I out to trash Lotus. But I don’t buy a new car to have two doors bubbling, fixed twice and still not perfect, window alignment issues, cold start issue and occasional breakdown, local dealer starting to get annoyed (you can feel the cold atmosphere when you go in). Dealer response, you should contact Lotus, it’s Lotus it’s not us, they are all like that, it’s hand built so expect panel gaps unequal, they all whistle over 70 mph, Volkswagen’s are worse.

I’ve never had a new car like it. My fear is that other panels may start bubbling after the warranty ends and I can’t imagine how much these composite panels costs.

OP
S
Reaction score
In order to reject a car in the UK, you have to firstly let them fix your car at least twice within a reasonable timescale. After the second attempt, if it’s still not fixed, you may be offered a new car from stock.

I’ve successfully rejected my car recently after exhausting all the above attempts. It’s taken 3 months to do so as Lotus are not proactive in contacting you obviously. They will ignore you. They definitely won’t ring you. Escalations manager is always off and no one else takes over. You have to keep emailing them once a week for progress and chase them for 4 weeks after handing the car back for money they owe you. Lotus will breach their contract and honestly they don’t give a flying f**ck.

I get the impression that customer services is contracted out like the finance department. Nothing is connected. It’s one department after another when you call them. You cannot be connected to the escalations team, they don’t take incoming calls.

Im not a Lotus fan boy nor am I out to trash Lotus. But I don’t buy a new car to have two doors bubbling, fixed twice and still not perfect, window alignment issues, cold start issue and occasional breakdown, local dealer starting to get annoyed (you can feel the cold atmosphere when you go in). Dealer response, you should contact Lotus, it’s Lotus it’s not us, they are all like that, it’s hand built so expect panel gaps unequal, they all whistle over 70 mph, Volkswagen’s are worse.

I’ve never had a new car like it. My fear is that other panels may start bubbling after the warranty ends and I can’t imagine how much these composite panels costs.
Only once actually

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Never give up and don't accept any BS - fight the good fight for what is right !

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

#bulletdodged

And it's not like this is the only person with major issues who is getting no help from Lotus. Car is beautiful, but there are so many other fish in the sea...

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
#bulletdodged

And it's not like this is the only person with major issues who is getting no help from Lotus. Car is beautiful, but there are so many other fish in the sea...
I’ll be honest. You won’t get another car at this price range which looks, sounds and drive as beautiful as the Emira but I can’t let my heart rule over my head and waste most of my time sorting issues out and going to the dealers.

JonFuller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
..... they all whistle over 70 mph, Volkswagen’s are worse.
Mine doesn't, at all.
To be fair, i've only done a couple of thousand miles so far, but no door seal whistles, no paint bubbles and it's never missed a beat (collected 1st sept '23).

There must be some very unlucky folk out there :( It's a shame.

Last edited:

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’ll be honest. You won’t get another car at this price range which looks, sounds and drive as beautiful as the Emira but I can’t let my heart rule over my head and waste most of my time sorting issues out and going to the dealers.
100% agree! If my dealer was 30 mins away I might still be in, but not with these kind of issues, lack of help/communication from Lotus, and distance to the dealer, which is mainly a Nissan dealership with a small, 1 stall Lotus building next door.

Whitey

Reaction score

I have sent you a DM

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Don't engage. This gent loves to remind us that he dodged a bullet. Has bought and sold several cars recently (an R8 I think) and somehow has the time to be all over this forum. #hasnothingbettertodo

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
100% agree! If my dealer was 30 mins away I might still be in, but not with these kind of issues, lack of help/communication from Lotus, and distance to the dealer, which is mainly a Nissan dealership with a small, 1 stall Lotus building next door.
So what’s the courtesy car. A Nissan Juke. Mines normally a Toyota Aygo 😂😂. Fantastic experience isn’t it.

OP
S
Reaction score
To be fair its a mercedes c class estate from enterprise so it’s far from terrible but its not an emira

Ftype

Reaction score

I have been following your ownership nightmare and glad you have successfully rejected the car. I cancelled my order many months ago and so glad that I did.