Race to the first i4

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve been in touch with topaz in Leeds too for a full ppf and ceramic coating. When is yours booked in , arid be interested in the experience, quality as it’s the first car I’ve considered this for. I’ve not booked in yet as I still don’t have a delivery date for Oakmere in Cheshire despite checking out as soon as the systems allowed.
I've paid a deposit and the work has been pencilled in for the end of the month, though they know it is dependent on when the car lands. Although I approached Topaz separately, JCT600 already work with Topaz Leeds across multiple car brands and the sales guy I've talked to at JCT600 will liaise with Topaz once the car is ready available to be collected by them.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just had a call from Lotus Hatfield which I did not know even existed to say my car was ready to collect. Had to let them down gently as he had no idea I had cancelled.
How is it possible Lotus has no idea who cancels their orders... or do you think they know, but are calling to try and entice you back?

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just had a call from Lotus Hatfield which I did not know even existed to say my car was ready to collect. Had to let them down gently as he had no idea I had cancelled.
That'll be another i4 on Autotrader soon then. I hope we don't see discounted stock too soon!

DJManc

Reaction score
How is it possible Lotus has no idea who cancels their orders... or do you think they know, but are calling to try and entice you back?
I have just been in to my local dealer today to test drive the i4. It was the local dealer who contacted me to say that my car had been built and soon to be ready for handover if I still wanted it, even though I cancelled in December! So yes, it is definitely the Lotus way of dangling the carrot again.
Re my test drive:- Yes, I still love this car. Everytime I see one in person it re ignites the lust and desire! So much better than in a photo!
I was expecting the be somewhat underwhelmed/disappointed with the noise from the i4 and yes on tick over or just cruising along its what you expect from four cylinders, nothing special but not as unrefined as I thought it would be either. However, when giving it the beans, the sound was quite impressive (I have come from a c63s with one of the best sounding V8 engines there is in my opinion).
Power wise, I actually felt at times, that the i4 was quicker than the V6 and it certainly revs higher which I like! (the harsh rev limiter cut off on the V6 can be annoying) I don't think many would be left longing for more power with the i4 either. This thing definitely shifts when on song!
The shift paddles on the steering had a nice feel although they are too small, but no doubt there will be retrofits in time to make them larger. Shift speeds were not really a problem for me. A slightly quicker shift would have been nice but certainly no deal breaker. One negative when parking or manoeuvring at low speeds and using the gear lever selector to change from reverse to 1st was that if you do it too quickly, it does not seem to register and can take 3 or 4 attempts. Take it a bit easier and it will respond in the two flicks of the lever as we have previously heard. Maybe it was just my lack of familiarity with it.
Driving/handling of the i4 did feel ever so slightly more nimble/agile than the v6 and perhaps marginally lighter probably due to the aluminium subframe and lower centre of gravity with this engine and transmission set up and slightly lighter power steering setup.
Let's just hope that there are less Gremlins with the i4 set up than there have been on the V6!
Both cars have their plus points and negatives, but I cannot say say that one is overwhelming better than the other. They are both very enjoyable cars that will bring lots of driving pleasure (as long as they are working) to many!

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have just been in to my local dealer today to test drive the i4. It was the local dealer who contacted me to say that my car had been built and soon to be ready for handover if I still wanted it, even though I cancelled in December! So yes, it is definitely the Lotus way of dangling the carrot again.
Re my test drive:- Yes, I still love this car. Everytime I see one in person it re ignites the lust and desire! So much better than in a photo!
I was expecting the be somewhat underwhelmed/disappointed with the noise from the i4 and yes on tick over or just cruising along its what you expect from four cylinders, nothing special but not as unrefined as I thought it would be either. However, when giving it the beans, the sound was quite impressive (I have come from a c63s with one of the best sounding V8 engines there is in my opinion).
Power wise, I actually felt at times, that the i4 was quicker than the V6 and it certainly revs higher which I like! (the harsh rev limiter cut off on the V6 can be annoying) I don't think many would be left longing for more power with the i4 either. This thing definitely shifts when on song!
The shift paddles on the steering had a nice feel although they are too small, but no doubt there will be retrofits in time to make them larger. Shift speeds were not really a problem for me. A slightly quicker shift would have been nice but certainly no deal breaker. One negative when parking or manoeuvring at low speeds and using the gear lever selector to change from reverse to 1st was that if you do it too quickly, it does not seem to register and can take 3 or 4 attempts. Take it a bit easier and it will respond in the two flicks of the lever as we have previously heard. Maybe it was just my lack of familiarity with it.
Driving/handling of the i4 did feel ever so slightly more nimble/agile than the v6 and perhaps marginally lighter probably due to the aluminium subframe and lower centre of gravity with this engine and transmission set up and slightly lighter power steering setup.
Let's just hope that there are less Gremlins with the i4 set up than there have been on the V6!
Both cars have their plus points and negatives, but I cannot say say that one is overwhelming better than the other. They are both very enjoyable cars that will bring lots of driving pleasure (as long as they are working) to many!
Good to hear of another positive test drive! Helps ramp up the excitement :)

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have just been in to my local dealer today to test drive the i4
Great review that I think echoes a lot of the same things I experienced from my test drive. I agree on the sound. It might not be as sonorous as a V6 or a V8 but it still sounds very purposeful and the turbo adds another dimension too.

schuey100

Reaction score
Oakmere confirmed today that my i4 is with them now for pdi. So hopefully not too long until I can pick it up.
Picking up from there Friday! Sent the money today, was a bit dubious of the checkout process and paranoid that the account number was legit as Barclays flagged it straight away and wouldnt send the money (good service from the bank for being so vigilant) had to agree to disclaimer that if it was scam I’d lose my money, anyway all done now so sort the insurance (more detail on the I4 insurance post) with Admiral and off we go, not seen my car yet or driven I4 🙄 hopefully the first car in Nantwich!

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My factory collection is arranged for Monday 25th, just need to sort insurance, really looking forward to doing the factory tour again, although glad we did a tour last year, as sure I won't be paying 100% attention, will be too busy thinking about picking the car up at the end!!

Can confirm I got the 3 years free servicing thrown in for free too.

schuey100

Reaction score
My factory collection is arranged for Monday 25th, just need to sort insurance, really looking forward to doing the factory tour again, although glad we did a tour last year, as sure I won't be paying 100% attention, will be too busy thinking about picking the car up at the end!!

Can confirm I got the 3 years free servicing thrown in for free to

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, agree is a nice bonus, though can't help but think they missed a bit of a trick here, as they could have made much more of a song a dance about it... But then the whole customer engagement comms has been a miss hasn't it!!

schuey100

Reaction score
Yeah, agree is a nice bonus, though can't help but think they missed a bit of a trick here, as they could have made much more of a song a dance about it... But then the whole customer engagement comms has been a miss hasn't it!!
True, a bit of a call now and then would have been nice but not really had an issue with customer services when I’ve called, always got through ok and been dealt with fine, not felt like a prince through the process but will take the service pack as a ‘cheers’

Mitcheroo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not long now. Had a call from my Southampton dealership to say my car is now with them. They will do PDI tomorrow so wanted to know when I wanted to pick it up. They have not invoiced me yet/asked for payment so trust they will do that shortly. Anyone making use of 2 year interest free loan? Seems a bit of a no brainer. Have got the monies but can place the credit part on deposit for 2 years and get around 5% interest.

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not long now. Had a call from my Southampton dealership to say my car is now with them. They will do PDI tomorrow so wanted to know when I wanted to pick it up. They have not invoiced me yet/asked for payment so trust they will do that shortly. Anyone making use of 2 year interest free loan? Seems a bit of a no brainer. Have got the monies but can place the credit part on deposit for 2 years and get around 5% interest.
How did you find out about the 2 years interest free loan? Is this being offered through Lotus or is it a local dealership thing? I've not had any such offer from Bell and Colvill.

schuey100

Reaction score
How did you find out about the 2 years interest free loan? Is this being offered through Lotus or is it a local dealership thing? I've not had any such offer from Bell and Colvill.
Nor me and just paid in full! 🫣

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think that 50/50 2year 0% finance deal is only on in-stock V6 cars (to try and tempt people to buy them).

Mitcheroo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
i saw it when I checked out and then mentioned it to the guy at the Southampton dealership. He seemed to indicate it would be an option for me. He did not say, it’s not available to me. But, let’s see what happens when I come to pay for it.