Privacy glass

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am locked in now but struggled with this for ages. Having spent a couple of days at FoS this week my take in on privacy glass - v - not is this. You can easily see the engine through either. I prefer the tint of privacy but don’t like the excessive side window darkness that this brings. You pay yer money and make yer choice.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Bit of a stretch I know, but did anyone at Goodwood give the rear glass a bit of a knock? Wondering as to the rear glass thickness. Wondering if they went with thinner glass because less insulation is needed and weight savings or if it's nice and thick. I ask because I often use a Seasucker bicycle rack and I tend to only use them on solid pieces of glass.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Bit of a stretch I know, but did anyone at Goodwood give the rear glass a bit of a knock? Wondering as to the rear glass thickness. Wondering if they went with thinner glass because less insulation is needed and weight savings or if it's nice and thick. I ask because I often use a Seasucker bicycle rack and I tend to only use them on solid pieces of glass.
That’s a great question and one best to check with Lotus about. I didn’t specifically validate this either, but visually the rear hatch and door glass appeared to be standard type/thickness glass to me.

It’s certainly not lightweight glass (as is used on GT3s) that spontaneously cracks from the heat!

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That’s a great question and one best to check with Lotus about. I didn’t specifically validate this either, but visually the rear hatch and door glass appeared to be standard type/thickness glass to me.

It’s certainly not lightweight glass (as is used on GT3s) that spontaneously cracks from the heat!
Just knocked on the glass and felt the thickness of it (the bottom edge is floating) and looks sound enough. I asked about heat build up as well and didn’t get a clear answer but I guess the engine is buried down far enough that it wouldn’t get too warm.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just knocked on the glass and felt the thickness of it (the bottom edge is floating) and looks sound enough. I asked about heat build up as well and didn’t get a clear answer but I guess the engine is buried down far enough that it wouldn’t get too warm.
Great! Sounds like they’re likely using standard 5mm glass then.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I chose black pack with the privacy glass and am still delighted with it.... looks extremely stylish!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I chose black pack with the privacy glass and am still delighted with it.... looks extremely stylish!
The more I see pictures of cars with and without black pack, black pack is definitely the way to go with this car, makes it look so much more aggressive with a fighter jet look.

The privacy glass just accentuates that black pack look.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Personally I think it’s a really good choice if you have black pack. If you don’t then I’m on the fence 🙂

I’m happy I’ve specced it

Reactions: DJS

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Umm, i can't agree.

How it looks is, of course, subjective. I think it works on yellow, perhaps blue and will work well on white and okay on Nimbus.

But... I reckon it will look relatively crap next to the majesty of the paint and, worse that that, it will look bad after a week and forever wind you up with dust, bird crap, lines, swirls; the lot.
I think if you PPF it then you might get away with it.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve gone the controversial route of no upper black pack (so I can get the silver exhausts)… but then having the PPF guys do a piano black roof as an aftermarket. Apparently there are some new PPFs that are indistinguishable from paintwork and give a terrific gloss finish.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Umm, i can't agree.

How it looks is, of course, subjective. I think it works on yellow, perhaps blue and will work well on white and okay on Nimbus.

But... I reckon it will look relatively crap next to the majesty of the paint and, worse that that, it will look bad after a week and forever wind you up with dust, bird crap, lines, swirls; the lot.
For my sake I hope you’re wrong otherwise my car will look crap 😆

I think you’re right about ppf

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I took a tape measure to Goodwood today. The rear hatch glass is 4mm thick, which I think is 1mm thinner than the hatch on my Evora..

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I took a tape measure to Goodwood today. The rear hatch glass is 4mm thick, which I think is 1mm thinner than the hatch on my Evora..
@TomE — has anyone ever told you that you should be protected as a national treasure?

Also what are you doing walking around Goodwood with a tape measure? You got microcalipers in your pocket too?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'll bet no one at Lotus EVER DREAMED the Emira would be gone over in such excruciating detail by its customers lol. On the one hand that's probably exasperating, but on the other, it shows just how much people care about this car, which is a good thing.

I'm at the point now where I just want my car. The only gap anyone is going to notice is the one between their car and mine, as they watch me briskly leaving them behind on the mountain curves of the Pacific Northwest.

G

Guest142

I'll bet no one at Lotus EVER DREAMED the Emira would be gone over in such excruciating detail by its customers lol. On the one hand that's probably exasperating, but on the other, it shows just how much people care about this car, which is a good thing.

I'm at the point now where I just want my car. The only gap anyone is going to notice is the one between their car and mine, as they watch me briskly leaving them behind on the mountain curves of the Pacific Northwest.
This*
I've never had anywhere near this level of anticipation for a vehicle. It's exceptional.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This*
I've never had anywhere near this level of anticipation for a vehicle. It's exceptional.
I remember knowing everything about late 90’s Camaros. If it was a triple taillight instead of a double on a certain year it was either a certain size engine or a junkyard swap.

Oh yeah, that year they didn’t make that color so it’s gotta be an xx or xy but not an xz because it has this motor…

It’s going to be amazing to care that much about a car again.

#ForTheExperts

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Umm, i can't agree.

I’m fine with needing to detail or protect it, I hope you aren’t ordering DV if you’re that afraid of swirls.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@TomE — has anyone ever told you that you should be protected as a national treasure?

Also what are you doing walking around Goodwood with a tape measure? You got microcalipers in your pocket too?

LOL! I took a tape measure on Sunday, as I had a few things to check (and questions from you good people) after my visit on Thursday.

There were probably a few visitors to the Lotus stand wondering who the strange guy was who appeared to be completely ignoring the cars and instead measuring and photographing the number plates from all angles. My post on plate mounts is coming soon...

Most of the Lotus staff were just thinking "it's Tom again with a bunch of obscure questions". As I posted elsewhere, I did have 4 of them at one point tracking down answers for me/us. My post on child seats, LATCH anchors and ISOFIX also coming soon...

#ForTheDetails

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
LOL! I took a tape measure on Sunday, as I had a few things to check (and questions from you good people) after my visit on Thursday.

There were probably a few visitors to the Lotus stand wondering who the strange guy was who appeared to be completely ignoring the cars and instead measuring and photographing the number plates from all angles. My post on plate mounts is coming soon...

Most of the Lotus staff were just thinking "it's Tom again with a bunch of obscure questions". As I posted elsewhere, I did have 4 of them at one point tracking down answers for me/us. My post on child seats, LATCH anchors and ISOFIX also coming soon...

#ForTheDetails
Has Lotus just considered giving you your car early as a form of handling comms with the rest of the community ;)

Appreciate it!