Privacy glass

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hhmmm. That’s interesting. Would love to hear more about these products. Any role for these products on the windshield?
That’s what she had done - clear “tint” on windshield. It’s great. I’ll find the brand info and post later when I’m home but if you live in a sunny area would definitely look into it. Was $725 for the whole car (30% tint front and rear and clear on windshield)

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I too love that body style on the Alfa. No offense to Russell, but those Italian design studios really birth some sexy bodies. It’s a shame that often the mechanicals fall short. And yes, Alfa engines, at least some of them, are a site to behold!
Not to go too far off-topic, but the SZ (ES-30) was Alfa's first CAD-designed model. The panel gaps were laughable, but all that quirkiness added so much character, which is what I loved about that car. It was good to drive too, and could pull around 1.1-1.4g when cornering, which wasn't too shabby.

Last edited:

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not to go too far off-topic, but the SZ (ES-30) was Alfa's first CAD-designed model. The panel gaps were laughable, but all that quirkiness added so much character, which is what I loved about that car. It was good to drive too, and could pul around 1.1-1.4g when cornering, which wasn't too shabby.
Still loaded with character, as any Alfa should be!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Any update to this question? Has anyone seen a car with privacy glass in person yet, or do any pictures of one exist?

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The rear 3/4 windows and engine bay/cabin partition are lightly smoked. The side and front windows are definitely clear. In Perth I will be looking to legally tint the front and side windows to try to keep the barstard hot sunshine out! :cool:

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Definitely skipping this option. I'm likely going to paint or powder coat the engine cover red to match brake calipers as I just pointed out in post on the Hethel Yellow thread. I want that to be easily seen.

Please post a photo when do it! I thought of the same thing, not sure where to have it done.

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So I am now panicking as I have ordered privacy glass. I have just found out that it is 28% darker and it isnt a film it is bonded in the glass. There are no examples from Lotus. I am trying to find out if I do not want it will it change my delivery position which is August.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I am now panicking as I have ordered privacy glass. I have just found out that it is 28% darker and it isnt a film it is bonded in the glass. There are no examples from Lotus. I am trying to find out if I do not want it will it change my delivery position which is August.
You mean it's 28% transmissivity? That's a pretty normal value for medium tint. Where did you get that figure, from Lotus directly? Or from a dealer?

In terms of perceived darkening compared to non-tinted glass, 35% is "light", 20% is "medium dark", 5% is "limo dark". I have 20% on my BMW and you can still see pretty easily into the car in daylight, but it makes the greenhouse of the car appear visually more as one solid piece rather than as a void space between the metal of the car's A, B, and C pillars.

I found a tool online that lets you visualize the effect, and it's pretty accurate compared to my own experience. https://www.windowtintinginlv.com/percentages-of-window-tint.html

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You mean it's 28% transmissivity? That's a pretty normal value for medium tint. Where did you get that figure, from Lotus directly? Or from a dealer?

In terms of perceived darkening compared to non-tinted glass, 35% is "light", 20% is "medium dark", 5% is "limo dark". I have 20% on my BMW and you can still see pretty easily into the car in daylight, but it makes the greenhouse of the car appear visually more as one solid piece rather than as a void space between the metal of the car's A, B, and C pillars.

I found a tool online that lets you visualize the effect, and it's pretty accurate compared to my own experience. https://www.windowtintinginlv.com/percentages-of-window-tint.html
I guess ideally we also need to know what tint they have on the front windows also

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For what it's worth, if you play with the configurator in the "Sunlight" setting and move the car to reveal the three quarter rear-ish, overhead view, you can toggle the privacy glass off/on and actually see the difference. See image below:

1647875984043.png

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score

From Lotus direct

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
From Lotus direct
Just had it confirmed that if I change to no privacy glass it will knock my delivery back a month! Have no idea why that would but going to have to stick with it now

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I kindly received detailed privacy glass specifications from Lotus as follows:
  • The visible light transmission (VLT) of the privacy glass is 24.5%.
  • The tailgate glass lets in 6% UV light and the rear three quarter windows allow 7.1% UV.
  • The engine is still slightly visible through the rear quarter, depending on light conditions.
So nice of them to share such detailed specs. Very few manufacturers do so these days. 👍

Hope this helps those who are still deciding what to do.

Last edited:

Corkdsp

Reaction score
I like that the factory tint installed is not a film but built into the glass. I bet that engine compartment can get really hot on some summer days and could impact the tint back there if it was a film.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I like that the factory tint installed is not a film but built into the glass. I bet that engine compartment can get really hot on some summer days and could impact the tint back there if it was a film.
It is glass, not a film