Privacy glass

Reaction score
So over on Pistonheads someone said that speccing privacy glass will mean you can't see the engine through the rear hatch. Is that right? I assumed it just meant the side windows were tinted, not the glass covering the engine bay itself.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The privacy glass is for the rear three quarter windows (not the driver/passenger windows) and the engine bay glass. It's smoked rather than blacked out so you should still be able to see the engine bay.

OP
CaptainSensible
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Hadn't realised that. Might have to reconsider my decision to go with the privacy glass. That said presumably it's just a film so can be removed later if wanted.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm not sure, it may be in the glass. I didn't ask at the roadshows and I've been trying to work out if any of the show cars or pre-prod cars have privacy glass. I don't think they do, which makes it hard to gauge how dark it will be. The configurator also doesn't change if you toggle it!

I'm going for no privacy glass, on the basis the headlining is black and hence more natural light is good plus clear over the engine bay. If I lived in Florida I might think about tinting due to the solar load, but not in the UK 😎

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure, it may be in the glass. I didn't ask at the roadshows and I've been trying to work out if any of the show cars or pre-prod cars have privacy glass. I don't think they do, which makes it hard to gauge how dark it will be. The configurator also doesn't change if you toggle it!

I'm going for no privacy glass, on the basis the headlining is black and hence more natural light is good plus clear over the engine bay. If I lived in Florida I might think about tinting due to the solar load, but not in the UK 😎
Both the Blue show car and the working car had clear glass, definitely going for that as I agree that the car will need good lighting inside.
I noticed in the Harry's Garage video that he said you can see the throttle inkage working as you press the accelerator through the rear window, now that is a nice touch!! :)

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I noticed in the Harry's Garage video that he said you can see the throttle inkage working as you press the accelerator through the rear window, now that is a nice touch!! :)
Definitely, that looked cool!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes, and the glass between the cabin and the engine bay is definitely clear.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Sounds like tint in the front clear in the back. Opposite of a mullet.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I've deleted. I am not a drug dealer. And to quote His Royal Highness Chris Harris . . . "It will soon be impossible to find a used car without privacy glass. I fucking hate privacy glass."
I can’t find the right article but basically it read that a car you can see through will make a comeback.

Just looks pure in a way.

Attachments

• 146023FE-BCC8-4EA0-9453-57291EE3F78A.jpeg
    146023FE-BCC8-4EA0-9453-57291EE3F78A.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 58

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Good post, definitely a better understanding of the privacy glass option is essential, switching between the options gives no indication of effect on my configurator.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
With all the new info, updated configurator, and car(s) in China - what’s the updated word on “Privacy Glass”?

Does it make it muchmore difficult to see the engine?
Does it eliminate the ability to see the engine?
Is it just a nice tint?
Does it cover the “internal” rear window as well as the tiny ones?

I’m thinking of going with the delete and getting aftermarket tint where I’d ideally like it. Let me know your thoughts please?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Looks like the privacy glass is like a very dark tint. You'll certainly have more aftermarket options if you delete it. I'm sure you can still see the engine if you are standing right on top of it during the day, but it won't be clear. It's not a 100% block of visibility.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Looks like the privacy glass is like a very dark tint. You'll certainly have more aftermarket options if you delete it. I'm sure you can still see the engine if you are standing right on top of it during the day, but it won't be clear. It's not a 100% block of visibility.
Thank you for that. I’d love to see that view right over the top of it with and without. Should be an easy one to get.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's a dark tint and you can still see the engine. It's not on the internal glass between cabin and engine bay, just on the rear hatch and the small side windows behind the main window.

I'm going for delete. In the UK bright sun isn't an issue most days. Plus the interior headlining is black and I've selected black leather interior, so maximising light into the cabin. And why partially obscure the V6 engine?

I agree it would be handy to see pictures. It was on my feedback list to Lotus.