Privacy glass

2Lotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The privacy glass might look better on a car with the Black Pack. It would be nice to see the car both ways.

Thanks for all your input, Tom!

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
That's why I have gone for privacy, to enhance the effects of the black pack.
Makes me want to see 4 options now…

Green no privacy
Green privacy
Green black pack no privacy
Green black pack privacy.

@Eagle7 can you help with this by chance?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Makes me want to see 4 options now…

Green no privacy
Green privacy
Green black pack no privacy
Green black pack privacy.

@Eagle7 can you help with this by chance?
I haven't seen an example of the privacy glass. Is it just a tint percentage or a complete block where you can't see in at all?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Here's Verdant with ice interior and no privacy glass.
Verdant clear 1.png

Verdant clear 1a.png

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not sure, it may be in the glass. I didn't ask at the roadshows and I've been trying to work out if any of the show cars or pre-prod cars have privacy glass. I don't think they do, which makes it hard to gauge how dark it will be. The configurator also doesn't change if you toggle it!

I'm going for no privacy glass, on the basis the headlining is black and hence more natural light is good plus clear over the engine bay. If I lived in Florida I might think about tinting due to the solar load, but not in the UK 😎
Do you think the privacy glass will help with heat? Will it matter?
I’ve seen no data on what they are using for ”privacy glass”

Standard tints don’t do a whole lot for heat/ UV

A good aftermarket tint will block FAR more UV and heat - and many of you may know but I just recently learned when my wife had her car tinted that they have a clear “tint” that blocks like 97% of UV - my wife had it on her front window and doesn’t change the view but keeps the interior VERY cool even in hot florida sun.

I plan clear glass and aftermarket tint to spec including clear front as above.

Cheers

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’ve seen no data on what they are using for ”privacy glass”

Standard tints don’t do a whole lot for heat/ UV

A good aftermarket tint will block FAR more UV and heat - and many of you may know but I just recently learned when my wife had her car tinted that they have a clear “tint” that blocks like 97% of UV - my wife had it on her front window and doesn’t change the view but keeps the interior VERY cool even in hot florida sun.

I plan clear glass and aftermarket tint to spec including clear front as above.

Cheers
Hhmmm. That’s interesting. Would love to hear more about these products. Any role for these products on the windshield?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If we don't go privacy glass can we tint the back window or will the engine heat mean it will bubble or affect tint warranty?

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I want to remove the privacy glass from the build I did after the 2nd deposit, does anyone know if you can go back in to the email Lotus sent and re configure? Or will I have to make this change when I get my 3rd phone call?

I definitely want to see the engine bay as much as possible.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I want to remove the privacy glass from the build I did after the 2nd deposit, does anyone know if you can go back in to the email Lotus sent and re configure? Or will I have to make this change when I get my 3rd phone call?

I definitely want to see the engine bay as much as possible.
I used my link to update changes after I had paid the second deposit. However Lotus only recognise the changes before the second deposit, so use it afterwards and it’s not recorded. On the third call you need to tell them if your changes.
That’s what I have done and Lotus will contact me in January to let me know if my build date of June has slipped.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's why I have gone for privacy, to enhance the effects of the black pack.
This is my thinking too - it helps complete the black canopy look. It would be nice to see the engine, but actually there isn't that much to see, just the square top of the charge cooler. If it was a pretty old school V6 like one of these it would be different, but Yota engine isn't really a looker :)

alfa-romeo-busso-v6-engine-1068x712.jpg

Incidentally here is a nice Lotus trivia tidbit for the day. The Alfa Busso V6 was rumoured to be under consideration for the still-born Lotus M250 back in 2000. What could have been!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The show cars so far have all be without privacy glass. It would be good to see pictures of actual cars showing the two options.

The configurator has been updated to make the difference more apparent. Bear in mind the latest configurator has a darker overall light level than the Oct/Nov version, so glass and wheels for example are showing darker than before. Without privacy glass it will be clear. There is a fairly large dark border to the glass in both options.

With privacy glass:
HY BP privacy.JPG

Without privacy glass:
HY BP no privacy.JPG

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This is my thinking too - it helps complete the black canopy look. It would be nice to see the engine, but actually there isn't that much to see, just the square top of the charge cooler. If it was a pretty old school V6 like one of these it would be different, but Yota engine isn't really a looker :)

alfa-romeo-busso-v6-engine-1068x712.jpg

Incidentally here is a nice Lotus trivia tidbit for the day. The Alfa Busso V6 was rumoured to be under consideration for the still-born Lotus M250 back in 2000. What could have been!
Oooh! One of my favourite V6 engines, with a wonderful and characterful soundtrack - I still have fond memories of the Alfa fondly known as "Il Mostro" (Alfa SZ ES-30 #235 - photos below). It was a 'love it' or 'hate it' design, but I loved it, and it was good to drive, albeit a touch sedate by today's standards.

Alfa SZ.jpg IMG_1690 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Oooh! One of my favourite V6 engines, with a wonderful and characterful soundtrack - I still have fond memories of the Alfa fondly known as "Il Mostro" (Alfa SZ ES-30 #235). It was a 'love it' or 'hate it' design, but I loved it, and it was good to drive, albeit a touch sedate by today's standards.

View attachment 2058 View attachment 2059
I too love that body style on the Alfa. No offense to Russell, but those Italian design studios really birth some sexy bodies. It’s a shame that often the mechanicals fall short. And yes, Alfa engines, at least some of them, are a site to behold!