Privacy glass

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Itā€™s a difficult one, there is something to be said about seeing the engine, but is it a work of art though as an engine?
I wish i never went with it now. I want to see that engine nice and clearly

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Living in FL my Emira will have privacy glass on the rear and sides unless they can show high UV and IR blockage with the ā€œclearā€ glass.
Factory privacy glass normally does not offer additional UV protection. At least thatā€™s what I found online when researching. It wasnā€™t specific to Lotus.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Factory privacy glass normally does not offer additional UV protection. At least thatā€™s what I found online when researching. It wasnā€™t specific to Lotus.
True, the UV film should be part of the base glass. And I was mistaken on the IR, that normally gets blocked by the glass itself. I had to do a little search but recalled the IR relationship. The car heats up because the visible light excites the interior which gives off Infrared light. Since the glass wonā€™t let it escape you get a greenhouse effect and your car heats up. So the tint blocks visible light which helps keep the car cooler.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
ā€œShould beā€ or ā€œisā€
I would much rather have a aftermarket tint put in which will match all around, but very unsure about having this over the engine compartment. So knowing whether the glass has UV protection or not is important to me.

In general, auto glass is not UV blocking - wife had her front windshield treated with a clear no-tint ceramic film and it was night and day difference in the Florida sun.

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
ā€œShould beā€ or ā€œisā€
I would much rather have a aftermarket tint put in which will match all around, but very unsure about having this over the engine compartment. So knowing whether the glass has UV protection or not is important to me.

In general, auto glass is not UV blocking - wife had her front windshield treated with a clear no-tint ceramic film and it was night and day difference in the Florida sun.
The hot part of sunlight is IR, not UV. UV gives you a sunburn, IR makes you feel warm.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The hot part of sunlight is IR, not UV. UV gives you a sunburn, IR makes you feel warm.
Well all I know is that the ceramic film keeps the car probably 30 degrees cooler. And it should keep the plastics from degrading. Stuff is magic

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well all I know is that the ceramic film keeps the car probably 30 degrees cooler. And it should keep the plastics from degrading. Stuff is magic
Agreed. Back in the day when I needed a daily driver and it sat out in the hot Florida sun every car I owned had the best window tint available and it made a huge difference.

Since I work from home and have for the last 15 years I now look at tint as a styling exercise. Some cars just beg to have deep tinted windows to lower the overall look of the vehicle while others look better with the clear windows to accentuate the A pillar and roof line.

To my eye the Emira looks better in the darker, metallic colors with the dark window option for the rear and quarters. I may even put 30% on the side windows once I see it in the flesh. Also toying with the full black pack but I think that looks better on the lighter colors, it highlights the roof line.

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
From Goodwood today, the Nimbus car had Privacy glass. It's tasteful, not too dark, and still shows off the V6 in all it's glory. No concerns that you won't be able to appreciate and see it's gubbins... you can see the contrast in the 3/4 view from the small rear side window and the main cabin window.
DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg

Mangoose

Reaction score
From Goodwood today, the Nimbus car had Privacy glass. It's tasteful, not too dark, and still shows off the V6 in all it's glory. No concerns that you won't be able to appreciate and see it's gubbins... you can see the contrast in the 3/4 view from the small rear side window and the main cabin window.View attachment 6776View attachment 6777View attachment 6778
Thanks for sharing... that looks much better than I initially thought.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
That does look good! Your other Nimbus pics made it look very dark in certain shots, but I'm very happy the engine bay is clearly visible.

Not likely, but I wonder if Lotus managed to wire up some white leds back there to illuminate the engine. I was surprised to learn they added ambient lighting to the exposed shift linkage, so who knows!?

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
TBH the worries had been rather unwarranted, because factory tint normally ranges between 15%-25%... so there is a fair bit of transparency left either way.

Plus with the mid engine placement, it is far closer to the glass than the face of a driver/passenger. Not to mention the engine is right under vertical (and far brighter) lighting.

In other words, regardless of the tinting %, you will be able to see the engine much clearer than the driver's face.

G

Guest142

From Goodwood today, the Nimbus car had Privacy glass. It's tasteful, not too dark, and still shows off the V6 in all it's glory. No concerns that you won't be able to appreciate and see it's gubbins... you can see the contrast in the 3/4 view from the small rear side window and the main cabin window.View attachment 6776View attachment 6777View attachment 6778
Exactly what I expected. Perfection. And it will help keep the engine bay cooler...and it looks flat out stunning. Just beautiful work by Lotus. Even more happy about spec'ing the privacy glass now. Such a sexy beast! Geez šŸ‘€

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
At Goodwood I struggled to see the difference between the privacy glass in the nimbus and no privacy in the Magma and yellow!. I had to ask one of the Lotus people which car had what. He looked through the side window and if there was a good view of the other side then it was clear if difficult to see it was privacy!

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
At Goodwood I struggled to see the difference between the privacy glass in the nimbus and no privacy in the Magma and yellow!. I had to ask one of the Lotus people which car had what. He looked through the side window and if there was a good view of the other side then it was clear if difficult to see it was privacy!
Weā€™re you wearing sunglasses? šŸ˜

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Privacy glass seems much like the paint colours, the effect seems to vary depending on where you stand and the ambient light. So to build on DrDā€™s pictures above, here are some I took yesterday of the same car in the same place. You can clearly see itā€™s privacy glass if you look at the small side window compared to the door window. The other three images are just taken at different angles of the tail gate.

Attachments

• 60C9855C-CB97-4C35-AB91-A05573596927.jpeg
    60C9855C-CB97-4C35-AB91-A05573596927.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 97
  • 5FDA6E13-CB04-471F-9F60-C0ABBB9DAEB5.jpeg
    5FDA6E13-CB04-471F-9F60-C0ABBB9DAEB5.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 130ED9D5-72C1-4FE0-9063-E3511BC44386.jpeg
    130ED9D5-72C1-4FE0-9063-E3511BC44386.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 91
  • B85ADFC2-8A12-45ED-B2DA-92EFFEC87C79.jpeg
    B85ADFC2-8A12-45ED-B2DA-92EFFEC87C79.jpeg