• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

PPF or Ceramic

Will you choose PPF Ceramic or naked

• Total voters

trackday14

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Right but look at XPEL's public pricing for the pre-cut Emira kit. It's coming up to like $6k for the urethane film before anyone even touches a car. It's absurd.

I can only assume that this pricing is intentionally inflated in order to encourage the public to get installlation through dealers rather than attempt a DIY.
On the U.S. XPEL website the cost for full front, namely the front bumper kit, roof and A-pillar kit, full hood + fenders + mirrors, and headlamp kit totals $1,893.80 USD.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've got to imagine it's going to be a straight up scratch magnet -- just going to live with personally. PPF there if swirl marks bother you, it's gonna be terrible.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I generally dislike the visible edges on PPF, but may just have to live with it because it will be better than all the paint marks that happens on black.

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's kind of what I was thinking. I generally dislike the visible edges on PPF, but may just have to live with it because it will be better than all the paint marks that happens on black.
On the black pack and even carbon pack Evora's doing clear bra there was almost a must do. The paint was soft and swirled super easy.

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was torn between mist white and vivid red, but all this paint protection talk is causing me to shift towards white again. Hard to see any swirls and chips on white, so essentially saves me $10k on PPF (which I don't love anyway).

I know myself well enough to know I'll take good care of the exterior, but don't want it to feel like a part-time job.

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What are people's thoughts on the upper black pack for protection? I really don't want to be constantly cleaning it and trying to get to get that mirror black finish. Any suggestions on what to do just for that part?
That's what the ceramic coating is for, in my opinion. Keeps it looking wet paint / freshly waxed easier, as you can basically just hose it down.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm normally pretty handy, but I've tried DIY PPF twice and neither time turned out very well.
I saw the guys who will do mine wrapping a SF90 and it looked 🤩🤤.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What are people's thoughts on the upper black pack for protection? I really don't want to be constantly cleaning it and trying to get to get that mirror black finish. Any suggestions on what to do just for that part?
I might do black ppf up there

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I might do black ppf up there
i don´t recall why, but my XPEL PPF installer last year, he told me it wasn´t worth doing black PPF over the black paint. So I went with the uncolored full car. Unless your car has NO Black Pack and you want black roof, of course.

By the way, normal pricing here in Spain for Xpel Ultimate Plus, in full car is around 5.200 Euros, you can even get it 15 % cheaper depending on the location (difference of overhead and labour cost between different regions)
I find it outrageous that in some places in the US they can go over 8.000 Euros for the same product. The real cost of the film for XPel Ultimate Plus PPF Official installers for a full Emira is less than 2000 Euros.

Last edited:

JCOz

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am in Sydney and had the Dealer provide full PPF before delivery.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 73

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
i don´t recall why, but my XPEL PPF installer last year, he told me it wasn´t worth doing black PPF over the black paint. So I went with the uncolored full car. Unless your car has NO Black Pack and you want black roof, of course.

By the way, normal pricing here in Spain for Xpel Ultimate Plus, in full car is around 5.200 Euros, you can even get it 15 % cheaper depending on the location (difference of overhead and labour cost between different regions)
I find it outrageous that in some places in the US they can go over 8.000 Euros for the same product. The real cost of the film for XPel Ultimate Plus PPF Official installers for a full Emira is less than 2000 Euros.
And let's be honest, the real cost of the film itself from the industrial plastics supplier to Xpel is probably $200. If that.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a question for PPF connoisseurs.

I am being told that they don't wrap around edges in areas like where the fender meets the headlight or where the fender meets the front bumper (highlighted in green)

I asked if that is because they use precut with no extensions or because they don't remove body panels to wrap the edges. I was told that even if they did remove the panels and wrapped the edges, (or tucked the film in) the added thickness of the film in between the panels would cause issues (PPF lifting or losing adhesion from friction due to being in between 2 panels that are close to each other)

How true is that? If you've had PPF done in the past, have they wrapped those areas?

My concern is that because my car is light colored, dirt will be more visible in those areas after a while if the edge is not wrapped.

1705086188275.jpeg

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have just bought a 9 month old 2000 mile V6 manual in Nimbus grey with the black pack. I had full ppf including the roof and Gtechniq 3 stage ceramic coating on top and on the wheels and calipers. Very happy with the job and protection level.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have just bought a 9 month old 2000 mile V6 manual in Nimbus grey with the black pack. I had full ppf including the roof and Gtechniq 3 stage ceramic coating on top and on the wheels and calipers. Very happy with the job and protection level.

Hopefully this link will show my car after the work.

NoelT

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a Dark Verdant V6 and I had it wrapped and ceramic coated on delivery. It looks superb and is incredibly easy to look after. There is a link below to an instagram video of the car being wrapped for those of you who would like to see how it is done. Very pleased with the job they did and I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone on the East side of London, UK

Emira.png

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Eurocar in Orange County wrt PPF/Ceramic and paint correction. Do they do their own work or sub it out? Feedback on their level of experience/quality? Otherwise, any recommendations for reputable shops nearby?

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This is the way.

Gtechniq 2 coats applied well is amazing.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m interested to know if anyone has experience with PPF XPEL Fusion with what I assume is ceramic coat pre applied on the PPF?

I’ve done paint correction and ceramic coat myself and it was incredible. I’ve had an installer do ceramic coat and it was just ok. However, doing it myself took 10 hours with 2 people and I’d rather not.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m interested to know if anyone has experience with PPF XPEL Fusion with what I assume is ceramic coat pre applied on the PPF?

I’ve done paint correction and ceramic coat myself and it was incredible. I’ve had an installer do ceramic coat and it was just ok. However, doing it myself took 10 hours with 2 people and I’d rather not.
I’ve never heard of one that is pre applied to a ppf but my installer did say the ppf I used had a hydrophobic properties but it doesn’t last as long as ceramic protection appliied after.

There are some poor installers for both ppf and ceramic coatings and I’ve heard horror stories of ex staff saying customers had paid for 2,3 or even 4 coats and were given 1 to save money.