PPF or Ceramic

Will you choose PPF Ceramic or naked

• Total voters

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
my exige looks like its been to space and back through the atmosphere and then on the Paris Dakar Rally...3 times.

I think it was born before PPF existed.

Had ceramic on two cars now and it really makes a difference. As said b4 PPF and ceramic have completely different jobs but I have to admit I never knew folks got ceramic over PPF till i saw it on here..
Modern water based paints are soft and mark if you look at them. That drives a lot to ppf. In the old days a respray was cheap but now with two and 3 part paints at £1000 per litre ppf has a benefit....

But it's down to individual preferences.
I would get PPF if you’re following an Emira given the cutouts behind the rear wheels! On mine I have ceramic plus PPF on the whole front plus the lower black below the doors. The front & black is pretty much essential in my view (wouldn’t bother with the large extra cost for whole car). It is not really visible as it wraps under in most places. I might well sell mine once the i4 is finally ready but I don’t see the ceramic/ PPF as a waste of money even if I end up only having the car for a year

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've asked the same question to a professional installer who is able to do both: given my usage (weekend, b-road, and very occasionally track days car) his feedback was to do only the ceramic coating as the PPF would be a waste of money...and I won't be back to him every year to renew the coating (as i'm not doing with my other car)

🤷‍♂️

Briggo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am going for Xpel Ultimate Plus Essential kit (front end, mirrors, rear arches, A post's, roof edge and full sills) plus ceramic all over. Cost for PPF £2,145 + vat and ceramic £375 + vat

///M

Reaction score
The paints incredibly soft, you'll need minimum front end ppf, ceramic won't help for anything other than cleaning. Never know anything like it for chips. Mines going in on Monday
Contemplating full ppf what are you having? Is the best ain’t that delicate?

AndyVX

Reaction score
I’ve PPFd the front and side skirts but given how soft I’m told the black pack roof is I’m going to get the roof done. Not sure if I go clear or black on the roof PPF though

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A properly done PPF isn't really all that visible unless you are really getting up close to look at it. Personally, I'm slightly OCD and having PPF will keep me from having to think about paint swirls. That peace of mind is worth ~$1500.
Other guy said $3500 pounds
which is about $5k canadian too costly for me
$1500 USD is more doable probably $2k canadian

Ive never had ppf on previous cars.. after a few years I might of got a chip or 2 max and I easily corrected it myself applying touch up paint and wet sanding it. 95% like new. Thats about a $5 fix. lol
Some say the ppf only lasts max 10years.. ill try ceramic coating at minimum and deal with any paint issues as they come. I stay away from dirt or gravel roads and drive carefully around others..but the odd rock does get kicked up eventually

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’ve PPFd the front and side skirts but given how soft I’m told the black pack roof is I’m going to get the roof done. Not sure if I go clear or black on the roof PPF though
I've found the opposite with the black pack roof, if anything seem less prone to marking than a black car.
Just given it some ceramic and wax and wash it properly

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
10% of the cost for the entire car for a bit of thin plastic? Unreal.
Yeah, the PPF business has gotten out of control. I get that detailing is a labor-intensive business. But charging "new paint job" prices for polishing and protection is getting well beyond what's objectively reasonable for the outcome.

Newguy1354

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I say skip the PPF and just do 2 layers of CQuartz 3.0 ceramic coating. Maybe a 3rd layer with Gliss 2.0 like I'll do. Done with your own hands, will make you bond (pun intended) with the car. It's hard work but much easier on a new car, it'll save you a ton of money, look amazing, and it's a very durable coating.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I say skip the PPF and just do 2 layers of CQuartz 3.0 ceramic coating. Maybe a 3rd layer with Gliss 2.0 like I'll do. Done with your own hands, will make you bond (pun intended) with the car. It's hard work but much easier on a new car, it'll save you a ton of money, look amazing, and it's a very durable coating.
I always wondered if multiple layers of ceramic coating is as beneficial as ppf... have had different answers depending who I ask.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I always wondered if multiple layers of ceramic coating is as beneficial as ppf... have had different answers depending who I ask.
Ive had XPel on a car stored outdoors in SoCal sun for over 8 yrs. Waterless washed 3-4 times a week. Swirl marks practically non existent. Cant imagine quartz would hold up anywhere near as well

Newguy1354

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
PPF has come a long way the last few years. It's more clear, lasts longer before getting old looking, and a thick (comparatively) layer of protection that wins over even a good ceramic coating... BUT, when we're talking that much money on a non-daily driver... I'll stick with the coating. My understanding is most PPF even gets a ceramic type coating on top of it too.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No, but you could throw a small rock at your car after applying 5 layers of ceramic coating. Please let us know how it goes 😁

Note: I am not responsible for any damages you may cause during this learning exercise.