• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Parking brake service message & wont start - how many others with this issue

NigeT

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m going in to Silverstone on Friday. I’ll let you know what they say.

Although the techs at the service points don’t know what all the software fixes they apply will actually do.
Strangely I used to get this issue at least once a week, now not had the issue for weeks.:unsure:

Scrutineer

Reaction score
It happens to me roughly one in two starts. I’m beginning to believe that if you don’t rush the process from unlocking to starting it works fine. Which lends credence to the “ECUs waking up slowly / in the wrong order” concept.

My engine warning light disappeared on Friday.

Back on this morning!

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Spoke to my dealer, lotus say they'll be a fix by the end of the year.

In the mean time they're going to try a re install then a battery disconnected for 20min

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m going in to Silverstone on Friday. I’ll let you know what they say.

Although the techs at the service points don’t know what all the software fixes they apply will actually do.
Inter to hear what updates they do and what they say about a fix. Last time I asked they didnt know. I have separately asked Lotus directly so I will confirm what I’m eventually told. Mine is booked in for a service the week before Christmas so let’s hope they have a proper fix that actually works by then.

Scrutineer

Reaction score
Inter to hear what updates they do and what they say about a fix. Last time I asked they didnt know. I have separately asked Lotus directly so I will confirm what I’m eventually told. Mine is booked in for a service the week before Christmas so let’s hope they have a proper fix that actually works by then.
Back from Silverstone. Despite the assumption that a July built car would need a “raft” of updates by now there was only “one small one” available. It is not for the starting issue. Ben didn’t mention what that update was addressing.

How they can’t use the VIN number to track configuration status of each car is beyond me. A lookup in advance would have been very helpful. You have to go all the way to a service centre for them to plug in to find there’s no updates for you.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For those with the starting issue, is it the case that you push the starter button, then the car kind of whirs a bit and then times out, but the starter never kicks in? Is there a good workaround?

I've been having an issue recently with mine but have been having issues with my immobiliser before that, so blamed it on the immobiliser. They tried to fix the immobiliser just before it went in for the recalls so I'm not sure exactly who is to blame here.

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For those with the starting issue, is it the case that you push the starter button, then the car kind of whirs a bit and then times out, but the starter never kicks in? Is there a good workaround?

I've been having an issue recently with mine but have been having issues with my immobiliser before that, so blamed it on the immobiliser. They tried to fix the immobiliser just before it went in for the recalls so I'm not sure exactly who is to blame here.
Are you getting any warning message on the dashboard or is it just not starting?

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No warning message the first handful of times, eventually if I do it enough it comes up with something like wiper system malfunction as a message

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No warning message the first handful of times, eventually if I do it enough it comes up with something like wiper system malfunction as a message
Sounds like it might be a different issue but hard to say given the software / electronics issues. Mine only ever said Parking Brake (& then didn’t start) & if that didn’t appear it started 1st time. Since reverting back to the old software always started 1st time, just like in the preceding 9 months.

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Back from Silverstone. Despite the assumption that a July built car would need a “raft” of updates by now there was only “one small one” available. It is not for the starting issue. Ben didn’t mention what that update was addressing.

How they can’t use the VIN number to track configuration status of each car is beyond me. A lookup in advance would have been very helpful. You have to go all the way to a service centre for them to plug in to find there’s no updates for you.
Thanks for the info. I don’t think there have even been too many updates. The large updates seem to be for things like European maps & the fundamentals of driving / operations seem to be small file sizes (quick to do). I am still awaiting a definite answer on likely software fix date

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

No doesn't even try to fire, nothing. Sometimes leaves the yellow eml on but not always

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No doesn't even try to fire, nothing. Sometimes leaves the yellow eml on but not always
That does sound like my issue, I'm not sure what the whirr is, but, it's not the starter motor, sounds almost like it's inside the cabin. Do you get any other warnings with yours? Like Andrew is getting?

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That does sound like my issue, I'm not sure what the whirr is, but, it's not the starter motor, sounds almost like it's inside the cabin. Do you get any other warnings with yours? Like Andrew is getting?
No no other warnings other than the sos one.

So I've been back
FB_IMG_1700305872122.jpg

And they've had another go at re installing the software. 4 days now and I've not had the non start issue so far. I do however still get the sos warning that I'd not had once in the previous 8mths.

Hopefully the fix is coming...

SOON....

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Spoke too soon, didn't Starr for a few min today 🙄
So when was your car registered, what software updates have been done / when and did you get the software reverted back to the original? Interesting to know what messages you’re getting and how often. I also really think Lotus need to accumulate all the feedback to work out what is going wrong here. It ought not to be too difficult but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I had my first start issue away from home tonight. Previously had a couple in garage. As it was dark I noticed that with car locked waiting for reset process, the rear lights remained illuminated. Is that one of the known symptoms?

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had my first start issue away from home tonight. Previously had a couple in garage. As it was dark I noticed that with car locked waiting for reset process, the rear lights remained illuminated. Is that one of the known symptoms?
Yes - definitely what I got - sometime on for minutes. What delivery date is yours & presumably it’s had the software update? Mine has no issues now having reverted back to the previous software

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes - definitely what I got - sometime on for minutes. What delivery date is yours & presumably it’s had the software update? Mine has no issues now having reverted back to the previous software
Thanks. June del. Updated in August. No probs at all until Sep 😬

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can add me to the list too. Took my September 2022 car in today for the relevant recalls and software update. The car was running fine previously but needed new Seat Belts, A-pillar Trim Retainers, Windscreen Wiper Motor and Power Steering Lines due to the relevant recalls. No problem. It's an early build of a brand new model car and I expected some teething issues.

Had them do the software update in the hope it would fix the issues I was having with intermittent Carplay Failure, unaware of these issues beforehand.

Now the car won't start half the time.

Did some experimenting tonight and it does seem that the order/timing in which the various ECM modules fire up plays a role. I found if I wait 10 seconds between unlocking the car and opening the door, it happens less frequently.

It's as if the main ECU only tries to handshake with each module once before throwing an error. Adjusting the timing, and/or retrying multiple times until handshake is achieved before timing out and moving on to the next module should hopefully fix it.

Interestingly, I have a Volvo XC90 and it actually lists each car's system on the dash and shows them as operational as it handshakes. I assume this car is doing similar behind the scenes.