Parking brake service message & wont start - how many others with this issue

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Never had any issues with the car since getting it in Dec 2022. Now after 2.5k it went in for the recall last week. When I picked it up it had Parking Brake Service required message & wouldn’t start. Locked it & left it for 2 minutes then started fine. Since then had the same issue twice (only started normally once & that was only after turning it off for less than a minute). The most recent time the rear lights were lit up for more than 5 minutes after locking it & the time before maybe 2-3 minutes. The last incident today needed me to lock it & leave it for say 5+ minutes & only on the 3rd attempt did it unlock & start fine. The other times got the message & the amber light on the dashboard. Also since the trip to the garage when you unlock the car the aircon / fan no longer comes on like it used to - have others seen this change?
No issues with damp, car stored in dry garage etc. I suspect they did something at the recall / plugging it in which has upset the car.
How many other people had this problem & has anyone resolved it?

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yep - it happen to me - and I know it has happened to others - I am told the "Parking Brake Service" issue is when the system fails to communicate with the brakes - it throws an error code and will prevent the car starting. I was in a public car park. Had to phone my SIL to pick me up and take me to the hardware store to get a set of spanners and screwdrivers so I could disconnect the neutral. By the time I got back (about 35 mins) I unlocked the car and it started first time!!!. So the fix is a) I now carry a 10mm wrench to disconnect the neutral or b) lock the car and wait 10 mins and it will reset the ECU. It has only done it once to me. I suspect an upcoming version of the software will resolve this issue.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This would only be slightly embarrassing when you're getting to ready to leave a Cars and Coffee event...

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Same here. Happened once after software updated 2 weeks ago.

NigeT

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ditto - Happened to me on Tues. Car stored in a dry garage. Software updates about 3 weeks ago. Started fine after locking & leaving for 10 mins. Life would be so much easier for everyone if s/w updates could be over the air to save clogging up the dealers etc. & having to waste time visiting them!

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did you get the fault code cleared or another fix? - mine seems to be giving me this error every time. I can’t keep waiting 5-10 minutes / hoping that it sorts itself out

NigeT

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did you get the fault code cleared or another fix? - mine seems to be giving me this error every time. I can’t keep waiting 5-10 minutes / hoping that it sorts itself out
All I did was lock the car & leave it for 5-10 mins & it cleared. Fortunately fault has not occurred since 🤞

PJS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Never had any issues with the car since getting it in Dec 2022. Now after 2.5k it went in for the recall last week. When I picked it up it had Parking Brake Service required message & wouldn’t start. Locked it & left it for 2 minutes then started fine. Since then had the same issue twice (only started normally once & that was only after turning it off for less than a minute). The most recent time the rear lights were lit up for more than 5 minutes after locking it & the time before maybe 2-3 minutes. The last incident today needed me to lock it & leave it for say 5+ minutes & only on the 3rd attempt did it unlock & start fine. The other times got the message & the amber light on the dashboard. Also since the trip to the garage when you unlock the car the aircon / fan no longer comes on like it used to - have others seen this change?
No issues with damp, car stored in dry garage etc. I suspect they did something at the recall / plugging it in which has upset the car.
How many other people had this problem & has anyone resolved it?

I've had this - software updates at recent 10k service caused non start issues. Tech from Lotus had to be despatched and sorted in 20 mins with a laptop. Took 3 weeks to resolve, CS were useless.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mine too. Happened once so far non start but my fan does come on when I unlock the car. This happened only after the software update in August. Also have the occasional lumpy starts.

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Same today for me for first time - nothing but a click when I pressed the start switch, plus brake service warning message. Reconnected trickle charger and it started straight away. I also had the software update last month...

EBZ

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Same for me, it already happens 4 times in 3 weeks (appears after the recall + software update of last month). After 10 minutes off, it starts again.
IMG_3014.jpeg

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Lotus Cars has recognised this is a widespread problem and whether it is working on a rectification plan yet?

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If this is, as it appears, a serious "downgrade" introduced as part of the latest software update then perhaps Lotus should consider suspending the update programme until it has identified the cause? Otherwise, it could potentially create a bigger problem than the one it set out to resolve with the new software.

NigeT

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just happened again for me this morning. The only possible correlation is it seems to happen to me when I have unlocked the car & left it for 10 mins or more before starting the engine. Again had to lock the car & wait 10 mins for the reset to occur.

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Bell and Colvill are aware of the issue - has been reported several times post software update.

They expect a fix in due course…

OP
A

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Same with Lotus Siliverstone. The issue is the control module not waking up. As I understand it Lotus have been aware of it for a number of weeks but yet to fix it (presumably can’t find the issue). I emailed a couple of senior people that I know at Lotus so let’s see what the answer is. I asked why can’t they go back to the previous version on which my car has run without fault for 9 months. Given all the electronics / ECU issues that various people have Lotus need to get a grip on this as it undermines confidence in a car that looks and drives better than anything else anywhere near the same cost. Hopefully there will be progress In this whole area as there needs to be.
Anyway thanks for the advice to disconnect the battery and reconnect - this sorted it today. Clearly not an acceptable solution but can be mobile in a minute or so. Tom - good if you can find out anything else.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm not sure why the last update seems to trigger this more often for you guys, but the bug existed as early as the 4th of April. Interestingly enough it never happened again for me. However I hit the known ESC error just today - didn’t see that for about 8k km either, so might mean nothing..

0007646a-10a0-4f26-af6d-3ebb3755e25a.jpeg

Usually serious

Reaction score
I also have this problem. Car has been with the dealer for over 4 weeks. Problem was created by the software “upgrade”. They have told me today they are awaiting a solution from Lotus UK with no idea of when it might be resolved. I have had the car since May 23 and it has been in the garage about 6 times since. Very similar to the 2 Emiras I had in the past. Lotus are now paying for my hire car but I’m starting to lose patience.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have to report that I also have this, seemingly since the last update and airbag / a-pillar service recall.

Car was driven daily, suddenly showing this error yesterday for the first time in nearly a year.

Solution was to wait a few minutes with the car locked.

Attachments

• D1787765-16D2-454A-BDDE-2871E0E2FA98.jpeg
    D1787765-16D2-454A-BDDE-2871E0E2FA98.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 16