Now that reviews are out is anyone having 2nd thoughts about Emira ?

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Absolutely. The Cayman is friggin awesome. I have never said otherwise.
It is just the looks, perception and amount out there that puts me off.

The Cayman is a butch tattooed lesbian whereas the Emira is Margot Robbie.

Yes, the former will win every battle, fist fight and drinking contest but I know who I would want seen on my arm.
In that analogy you didn't mention wheel gap. How come?

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just decided to tell myself that there's an amazing new supercharged Toyota MR2 coming out in limited quantities and I've got one! Now I can stop comparing the car to anything other than the 1986 MR2 I drove as a teenager. Somehow reliving my youth through this lens adds the needed nostalgia to overcome EMIRA, er, I mean the "New MR2's" reviews.

Holy cow you’re right! I had an SW20 MR2 that I loved… I still miss it. You’ve suddenly reminded me that this is a Toyota engine wrapped around a Ferrari-esque body. Brilliant!

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s absolutely not true and the fact he even published that drivel is the equivalent of YouTube clickbait.
Why do you say it’s not true - you can see the video and time it yourself.

incrediblybad

Reaction score
Love the reviews I have seen! Harry's garage, Autotrader.

I own a GT3...and don't want my Emira on order to be like a GT3...I want a Lotus! I sold my Exige V6 hoping the Emira would have similar characteristics...loved its engine sounds, ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE FLOW...including the shifting! The GT3 is raw, firm short shifts...the Exige had flow and balance...

Summary of Emira reviews: typical lotus feel, breathing, flow, its different. Engine sounds fantastic, cabin is beautiful, exterior is beautiful, grip and traction marvelous.

So for me...its all I want! I don't want another Porsche product...I want something to replace my Exige.

51713195219_5f97741278_b.jpg
Off topic, but that's a fabulous looking Exige :D

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
the emira looks like it is floating in the air like a 90's bubble attempt at a sports car. I wonder if they have a velour interior option and dolby cassette deck.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Holy cow you’re right! I had an SW20 MR2 that I loved… I still miss it. You’ve suddenly reminded me that this is a Toyota engine wrapped around a Ferrari-esque body. Brilliant!
9025CF7C-B248-4CF7-8720-E8CA34E9F572.jpeg

My SW20 back in the days….. the dimensions are very similar too. One of the best looking Toyota

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
the emira looks like it is floating in the air like a 90's bubble attempt at a sports car. I wonder if they have a velour interior option and dolby cassette deck.
If you want a cassette deck and velour interior you would have to pay extra. Probably custom install.

pfbz

Reaction score
I'll admit... I'm having second thoughts.

Until I drive one for myself, it will be hard to really know, but my expectation was that it would be everything the Evora was but at least as good or better.

From the initial reviews, it appears they might have focused so much on making the creature comforts competitive that they kind of whiffed a bit on the dynamic portion of the equation?

Plus, I just got word that my GT4RS allocation, which I had just about given up on, came through for an early 2023 build. Different price point for sure at ~$150K, but still...

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'll admit... I'm having second thoughts.

Until I drive one for myself, it will be hard to really know, but my expectation was that it would be everything the Evora was but at least as good or better.

From the initial reviews, it appears they might have focused so much on making the creature comforts competitive that they kind of whiffed a bit on the dynamic portion of the equation?

Plus, I just got word that my GT4RS allocation, which I had just about given up on, came through for an early 2023 build. Different price point for sure at ~$150K, but still...
That sounds like MSRP for the GT4RS?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I had originally put this in 'another' forum, but I'll post it here as well.

Here's something interesting to consider. The type of cars the purists think Lotus should still be producing would put them out of business. Those kinds of cars just weren't selling enough to keep the company afloat. Something had to change or it was over, and there wouldn't be any more anything, including parts, support, etc.

Here's the numbers for the 2020 Evora GT as tested by Car&Driver:

image.thumb.png.a34205ef8af93cb41f96ca0ddbf7f6d2.png

Two things to note here: this is with the optional carbon fiber pack which reduced weight, and the car still weighed 3112 lbs. (1412 kg), and the price-as-tested which is $131,795 U.S. Same engine and trans as the Emira. We don't have final production car numbers for the Emira yet, but so far we've been told the Emira FE is going to weigh 1458 kg (54kg heavier than the "lightest configuration" which it's assumed is the base i4) which converts to 3214 lbs. The U.S. price for the FE is $93,900.

What Lotus has done is in my opinion, an incredible achievement. To create a brand new car with the exception of the motor and trans, that has a stunning body, brand new fully upgraded interior, fit and finish better than any Lotus they've ever made, a better sound system than they've ever had from a company of the pedigree of KEF no less, modern electronics and systems, and bring all that in for $37,895 LESS than the outgoing car is remarkable.

The penalty (performance-wise) that is being lamented by some is:

Weight of Evora GT = 3112 lbs.

Weight of Emira FE = 3214 lbs. - an increase of 102 lbs. The Emira FE is heavier, but since the FE bundle adds 54kg (119 lbs.), the base model is supposed to be 1405 kg or 3097 lbs, which is actually 15 lbs lighter than the Evora GT.

0-60 Evora GT = 4.0 secs

0-60 Emira FE = 4.3 secs (estimated based on pre-production numbers) - .3 seconds slower

Price Evora GT = $131,795 (as tested by Car&Driver)

Price Emira FE = $93,900 - $37,895 LESS

Sales of Evora of all models over its 12 year lifetime from 2009-2021, about 6,000.

Orders for Emira within the first 12 months of it's debut before a single production car has been built, about 7,000 and a 2 year waiting list already. More orders in 12 months than the Evora sold in 12 years.

When you consider it from a business standpoint, not an emotional standpoint, this is remarkable. Like it or not (from the purist's and a few other's perspective), Lotus is doing exactly what they needed to do, and it's paying off big-time. This is better than going out of business. This means parts and support for previous Lotus models and owners. It means new sports cars, and Lotus as a viable player in the upcoming electric automotive world.

Well done Lotus, well done.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Here's something interesting to consider. The type of cars the purists think Lotus should still be producing would put them out of business. Those kinds of cars just weren't selling enough to keep the company afloat. Something had to change or it was over, and there wouldn't be any more anything, including parts, support, etc.

Two things to note here: this is with the optional carbon fiber pack which reduced weight, and the car still weighed 3112 lbs. (1412 kg), and the price-as-tested which is $131,795 U.S. Same engine and trans as the Emira. We don't have final production car numbers for the Emira yet, but so far we've been told the Emira FE is going to weigh 1458 kg (54kg heavier than the "lightest configuration" which it's assumed is the base i4) which converts to 3214 lbs. The U.S. price for the FE is $93,900.

What Lotus has done is in my opinion, an incredible achievement. To create a brand new car with the exception of the motor and trans, that has a stunning body, brand new fully upgraded interior, fit and finish better than any Lotus they've ever made, a better sound system than they've ever had from a company of the pedigree of KEF no less, modern electronics and systems, and bring all that in for $37,895 LESS than the outgoing car is remarkable.

Weight of Emira FE = 3214 lbs. - an increase of 102 lbs. The Emira FE is heavier, but since the FE bundle adds 54kg (119 lbs.), the base model is supposed to be 1405 kg or 3097 lbs, which is actually 15 lbs lighter than the Evora GT.

0-60 Evora GT = 4.0 secs

0-60 Emira FE = 4.3 secs (estimated based on pre-production numbers) - .3 seconds slower

Sales of Evora of all models over its 12 year lifetime from 2009-2021, about 6,000.

Orders for Emira within the first 12 months of it's debut before a single production car has been built, about 7,000 and a 2 year waiting list already. More orders in 12 months than the Evora sold in 12 years.

When you consider it from a business standpoint, not an emotional standpoint, this is remarkable. Like it or not (from the purist's and a few other's perspective), Lotus is doing exactly what they needed to do, and it's paying off big-time. This is better than going out of business. This means parts and support for previous Lotus models and owners. It means new sports cars, and Lotus as a viable player in the upcoming electric automotive world.

Agree, but in adding weight they should really have added performance to compensate.
Harry weighed the GT410 at 1350kg which would be over a 100kg difference. Makes fair bit of difference to the power to weight

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Agree, but in adding weight they should really have added performance to compensate.
Harry weighed the GT410 at 1350kg which would be over a 100kg difference. Makes fair bit of difference to the power to weight
As a purist I could agree, but from a business perspective it looks like it didn't matter.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

0-60 Evora GT = 4.0 secs

Agreed; IMO, if you want lighter, then you sacrifice more creature comforts and everyday usability.

I think the Emira is a perfect balance of supercar looks, everyday usability, lightness (for what it is), and incredible value for money.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
As a purist I could agree, but from a business perspective it looks like it didn't matter.
Arguably tho it should. As some of the reviews are suggesting.
I have no doubt tho that the Asia market has been a big consideration however

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Despite what Lotus wants us to believe, the Emira is a reworked Evora, no? If so, shouldn’t the cost be way down for things like R&D, parts, etc.? Doesn’t seem that difficult to have a new exterior and interior while keeping the internals all the same (except for maybe a less aggressive spring rate, dampers, and a bit more HP). That would be a killer combo.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Despite what Lotus wants us to believe, the Emira is a reworked Evora, no? If so, shouldn’t the cost be way down for things like R&D, parts, etc.? Doesn’t seem that difficult to have a new exterior and interior while keeping the internals all the same (except for maybe a less aggressive spring rate, dampers, and a bit more HP). That would be a killer combo.
It will all still cost. Especially the way Lotus have gone about upgrading the assembly line. All the new tooling will cost a lot even if they can now raid the Geely parts bin and buy the seats and steering wheels in etc There will be LOADS OF CHANGES over the Evora even though a lot of old bits are carried over

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
No. Engine and trans are the same, as far as I know, every other part in the car is new, not from the Evora.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Apart from the chassis being very similar....
Well yeah, they're known for their chassis development. Colin Chapman himself created a suspension style that came to be known as the Chapman Strut. Why wouldn't they use the results of decades of their own invention and development. Just because it's the newest evolution, doesn't mean it isn't a new car.

A properly sorted, settled and broken-in final production Emira should out-handle the Evora. It may not be faster by a few tenths in a 0-60 standing start, but that's not what sports cars are usually measured by. It's usually handling. The fact that you can buy a new Lotus with the looks and features the Emira has, that's within a few tenths of the previous car that was over $35k more expensive... to me that's a pretty good deal. Obviously not everyone (some previous or current Evora owners) agree, but that's not gonna stop me from buying and enjoying my Emira.