Now that reviews are out is anyone having 2nd thoughts about Emira ?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ah, shoot me now.

You will soon almost certainly see a huge electric SUV that will beat nearly every Ferrari built in the last 10 years 0-60. Move on.........

Lotus themselves are making an SUV that will be faster 0-60 than any other Lotus made.
Move on...

I f every single journey was stopping every 100 years and then booting it to the max, then stopping , then repeating then 0-60 might have some actual bloody relevance.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
No, not really. It totally depends on how you use the car. A GT4RS is absolutely miserable as a daily driver in most cities, and you'd feel like a complete tw*t pulling up outside the school to pick up the kids . . . so for that situation, a base 911 would be a far better choice.
I think you’d look a twat in either (picking kids up from school) to be honest. I had made the assumption this was as a second / third car in the garage.

Schumacher

Reaction score
I already knew the engine and gearbox would be the weak link. It was always going to be a flawed car. It is an Evora with a gorgeous body and interior. I am buying it for fun in the streets which it will be fine. If I was doing lots of track time I would go the Porsche route.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
We were always going to get a lot of Porsche people slating the car because Ooooo they are Porsche enthusiasts, who cares some of the people slating the car are people that can't get hold of an Emira and are not willing to wait 2 years as they missed the boat big time.

Also its driving me mad hearing people say let's see how many people want their deposits returned Ha ha ha what a joke. This car is going to be a massive success no matter what the Porsche purists think so they will just have to get over it.

The queue is still around the block and i'm near the front of it :-D

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think part of the problem if you want to call it that, is there were previews just a few weeks ago with the white VP 007 car, so the actual reviews today were kind of old hat to these guys, and that's what comes across.

In my opinion Lotus would have done better if they had not done the preview exercise, but instead let today's results be the first preview/review. I think the reaction would have been different for the most part. However, Harry's is the one I found most valuable. It isn't a clinical analysis by the numbers, it's an honest review of what it feels like to be in and drive the Emira.

At the beginning of Harry's video when you look at what's in his garage, the fact that he's grinning, laughing and that delighted with the Emira speaks volumes to me. It isn't a numbers car; it's a Lotus. I'm not buying a numbers car. I'm buying what Harry is buying, and for pretty much the same reasons.

For those disappointed that it's not perfect... it's a Lotus. It has the same dynamic an Alfa Romeo has. Would a perfect Lotus still be a Lotus? Would a perfect Alfa Romeo still be an Alfa Romeo? Cars like this AREN'T perfect in every way, but what they do right is so endearing, you don't really care that much about anything else. They have soul. They have character. If they were perfect, they'd be soulless machines, like a Porsche; something that doesn't really need you. A Lotus and an Alfa require your involvement, your participation to make the magic happen. You become part of the machine, while a Porsche IS the machine; you just get to sit inside and ride in it.

The Emira reminds me in a lot of ways of the new Alfa Romeo Giulia. They both strive to be a bit more civilized, a bit more 'modern', yet they still have their trademark soul. They both have gorgeous looks; unlike anything else in their class. They're both under $100k, and there's nothing else quite like them. They're not for everybody, and we're starting to see some of that with those that are now waffling because of what some paid reviewers are saying.

Every time I get in the Giulia and drive it, I'm reminded of what it was that compelled me to buy it. Though I haven't driven an Emira yet, I have the same feeling about it as I did the Alfa. The AWD Alfa is my 4 season daily driver. The Emira is going to be my fun car. At 70 years of age, I'll have a modern Alfa and a Lotus; what a way to finish out the days of my life, and the ICE era.
Exceptionally well put and my thoughts exactly. I'm even more excited to take delivery now, if only I didn't have to wait until November damn it.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So, I've been pretty busy with work this week, and I hear some reviews are out. I didn't have time to read the thread...what did I miss?

😏 🦆

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I have to say, the mood and rebound I'm seeing in the forum today is very refreshing. It's good to see people's sense of humor coming out from behind the clouds and shining. Some of you are just killing me today; Mr. Grumpy pants... who knew you were an ace stand-up comic!? Some of you others are also killing it today. I think I've laughed more this morning than I have in the last month of reading this forum.

Very good to see...cheers to you all! 🍻
Well I for one realized why the emira got slated by Evo....... its simple if you think about it..
It doesnt have a vanity Mirror on the drivers side!!...... all makes sense now!

Blue97

Reaction score
I think we all expected / hoped for too much - me too.
To make a few comments across multiple topics - don’t know which thread to post it on !
An exotic sports car, beautifully finished , fast , well made , fabulous engine and gearbox and at least better than a GT 4 !!
A cut price Ferrari but even Ferraris are not perfect at 250 K.
We all have to in the end to make our own judgement.
Harry Metcalfe review and his wants of a car are perfectly in line with mine.
Don’t need to read any more reviews.
I wanted an exciting Lotus that could be used every day - always been put off before by the compromised experience and the poor build quality. Good engine note , well built , relatively comfortable and quiet but still with a little edge - the car Harry describes.
Don’t want to track it - there are far better and more suitable cars out there for that job. If you can racing is always more pure and stimulating than tracking.
I read the initial rave reviews of the first Evora but when I drove it I was so disappointed. So many different opinions across all the journos. Most folks on here have owned a lot of nice cars so your own opinion is the most relevant.
I have had and sold the recent GT4 manual. Such a disappointing car. Sold it within 3 months. Perfect for the track but not to enjoy at 8/10ths on the road.
Constant engine drone and an uninspiring engine note.
You had to rev to 8k before any excitement and by then you were doing 90mph on second. The 3.4 flat six Boxter S had a much more exciting engine , free revving , charismatic engine note - but not as fast as the Gt4 and I think that is the point - not all about ultimate speed - it was a fabulous car.
Gt4 also has a harsh ride,
brake pedal was also far too high for easy heel and toeing unless you were pressing the pedal really hard on the track.
PDK GT4 is much better.
Didn’t agree with some journos again.
Tyres - had Cup 2 on my Gen2 991 GT3 and when I changed them for Dunlops the ride was so much better + were also much quieter.
Going to stick with my Hethel yellow and reserve judgement till I have test driven . August delivery so should be able to test.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's been my contention all along that if anyone is cross shopping a USED Ferrari 360 manual or even a USED Ferrari 430 manual,......... your better off with the EMIRA.

up to date electronics, Reliability, New car smell, warranty, and $50K to $90K saved for another toy or the kids college.

Denno

Reaction score
I’m still in for now but my enthusiasm has wained over the last few months and the recent reviews haven’t exactly reignited the fire. The issue I have is the 718 Gts and Gt4 just don’t do it for me as an alternative so it has me contemplating a much more expensive car in the 992 Gts.
I think I really need to drive the both before I can come to a decision and decide if the 992 is worth the extra £50k outlay.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I’m still in for now but my enthusiasm has wained over the last few months and the recent reviews haven’t exactly reignited the fire. The issue I have is the 718 Gts and Gt4 just don’t do it for me as an alternative so it has me contemplating a much more expensive car in the 992 Gts.
I think I really need to drive the both before I can come to a decision and decide if the 992 is worth the extra £50k outlay.
If you want a new 992 GTS I am guessing a 14-16 month waiting list at least in the UK no?
Buy used and inflated prices are a whole lot more.
ALso a GTS at 50k more, will maybe be even more with porsches extras.

The 911 is a good car, but its fat... and does not feel so sporty, its as we say, too good for its own good. Having said that, the Emira is just as wide if not even wider.. ...

pay your money and take your choice... both are great cars, but the GTS 911 sounds trousers..... or pants...

Denno

Reaction score
If you want a new 992 GTS I am guessing a 14-16 month waiting list at least in the UK no?
Buy used and inflated prices are a whole lot more.
ALso a GTS at 50k more, will maybe be even more with porsches extras.

The 911 is a good car, but its fat... and does not feel so sporty, its as we say, too good for its own good. Having said that, the Emira is just as wide if not even wider.. ...

pay your money and take your choice... both are great cars, but the GTS 911 sounds trousers..... or pants...
Quarter 2 next year so similar to when I expect the i4 Amg. The price difference does include the options added on the Gts. From the reviews I’ve seen the engine sound has actually been well received and overall the car has had rave reviews by just about everyone. As you state though if may feel more like a grand tourer than a sports car so would certainly need a good drive in one and in the Emira to be honest.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Quarter 2 next year so similar to when I expect the i4 Amg. The price difference does include the options added on the Gts. From the reviews I’ve seen the engine sound has actually been well received and overall the car has had rave reviews by just about everyone. As you state though if may feel more like a grand tourer than a sports car so would certainly need a good drive in one and in the Emira to be honest.
go test drive one, the engine noise has nothing on a gt3 or an emira or evora etc.... a good car of course, harry likes it too, but engine noise... blankety blank

HoweBank

Reaction score
Im not happy with the reviews either. yes it hurts

I maybe one of few on here that actually likes the cayman a lot BUT...

its a flawed car that the journos are not really mentioning any more.

The lotus will have you up and down the box through gears. The cayman will go from first to second and then thats is all she wrote. may aswell be an auto! Same applies for rd use. it does over 80mph in second and so its only motorways you could enjoy other gears whilst watching out for cameras in some mad state of mind.

to me that is a flawed car too, regardless of how nimble it is in corners or the feel of quality.

and for those referencing a gt4 and worse still a gt4rs. try buying one. impossible. your looking at second hand overpriced used cars at best.

those are my views.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Love the reviews I have seen! Harry's garage, Autotrader.

I own a GT3...and don't want my Emira on order to be like a GT3...I want a Lotus! I sold my Exige V6 hoping the Emira would have similar characteristics...loved its engine sounds, ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE FLOW...including the shifting! The GT3 is raw, firm short shifts...the Exige had flow and balance...

Summary of Emira reviews: typical lotus feel, breathing, flow, its different. Engine sounds fantastic, cabin is beautiful, exterior is beautiful, grip and traction marvelous.

So for me...its all I want! I don't want another Porsche product...I want something to replace my Exige.

51713195219_5f97741278_b.jpg

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I own a GT3...and don't want my Emira on order to be like a GT3...I want a Lotus! I sold my Exige V6 hoping the Emira would have similar characteristics...loved its engine sounds, ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE FLOW...including the shifting! The GT3 is raw, firm short shifts...the Exige had flow and balance...

Summary of Emira reviews: typical lotus feel, breathing, flow, its different. Engine sounds fantastic, cabin is beautiful, exterior is beautiful, grip and traction marvelous.

So for me...its all I want! I don't want another Porsche product...I want something to replace my Exige.

I can't believe you sold the Exige for the Emira! If I could get the Final Edition Exige 390 (in Metallic Orange) in the US it would be in my garage right now and I'd be sittin' on the sidelines watching this Emira show until future editions come out.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

That’s a sweet car! Why would you ever sell it🤯