Now that reviews are out is anyone having 2nd thoughts about Emira ?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Well yeah, they're known for their chassis development. Colin Chapman himself created a suspension style that came to be known as the Chapman Strut. Why wouldn't they use the results of decades of their own invention and development. Just because it's the newest evolution, doesn't mean it isn't a new car.

A properly sorted, settled and broken-in final production Emira should out-handle the Evora. It may not be faster by a few tenths in a 0-60 standing start, but that's not what sports cars are usually measured by. It's usually handling. The fact that you can buy a new Lotus with the looks and features the Emira has, that's within a few tenths of the previous car that was over $35k more expensive... to me that's a pretty good deal. Obviously not everyone (some previous or current Evora owners) agree, but that's not gonna stop me from buying and enjoying my Emira.
Hey I'm not knocking it, just saying they ain't started from scratch! 🤣

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey I'm not knocking it, just saying they ain't started from scratch! 🤣
Well in regards to design, true, they ARE experienced and that's probably why we're getting these things at the price point we are. Even though it doesn't technically beat the Cayman (not realistic to expect that anyways), it's still a refreshing and very welcome alternative. A car that looks like this with a supercharged V6 and a manual trans... at this point in time and history. I'm in.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In fact, to sooth my dented spirit from the reviews, I went back and watched 5-6 A45S reviews just to feel better about the purchase again.

For those getting the i4 version, here is a quick link for your reference by your old pal M. Watson.

The 1550kg A45S was able to do a one-handed 0-60 on a track that was "a little bit damp" in 3.65s. So I will remain hopeful about the i4 model.
1654968573511.png

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Agree, but in adding weight they should really have added performance to compensate.
Harry weighed the GT410 at 1350kg which would be over a 100kg difference. Makes fair bit of difference to the power to weight
But they couldnt, they are using the same engine, but with more restrictions than ever.... They will do well to get the 430 ish HP version out, although there are ways to balance out the CO2 for a manufacturer etc, but they will never make a Lotus with a Toyota engine of over 450 and if they did that from the start, then the final FINAL ultimate, grande finale, would never take place.
SO while you are 100% correct, this could only be done with much much more investment and a NEW v6 engine partner .... They took the cheaper, safer option and maybe for Evora enthusiasts, it has not worked out, but for 90% of their customers it has.....
I wonder wonder will it get in the end to have 7000.... if Evo's final car for review doesn't have 7000 then I doubt very much that our cars will eiither.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I had originally put this in 'another' forum, but I'll post it here as well.

Here's something interesting to consider. The type of cars the purists think Lotus should still be producing would put them out of business. Those kinds of cars just weren't selling enough to keep the company afloat. Something had to change or it was over, and there wouldn't be any more anything, including parts, support, etc.

Here's the numbers for the 2020 Evora GT as tested by Car&Driver:

image.thumb.png.a34205ef8af93cb41f96ca0ddbf7f6d2.png

Two things to note here: this is with the optional carbon fiber pack which reduced weight, and the car still weighed 3112 lbs. (1412 kg), and the price-as-tested which is $131,795 U.S. Same engine and trans as the Emira. We don't have final production car numbers for the Emira yet, but so far we've been told the Emira FE is going to weigh 1458 kg (54kg heavier than the "lightest configuration" which it's assumed is the base i4) which converts to 3214 lbs. The U.S. price for the FE is $93,900.

What Lotus has done is in my opinion, an incredible achievement. To create a brand new car with the exception of the motor and trans, that has a stunning body, brand new fully upgraded interior, fit and finish better than any Lotus they've ever made, a better sound system than they've ever had from a company of the pedigree of KEF no less, modern electronics and systems, and bring all that in for $37,895 LESS than the outgoing car is remarkable.

The penalty (performance-wise) that is being lamented by some is:

Weight of Evora GT = 3112 lbs.

Weight of Emira FE = 3214 lbs. - an increase of 102 lbs. The Emira FE is heavier, but since the FE bundle adds 54kg (119 lbs.), the base model is supposed to be 1405 kg or 3097 lbs, which is actually 15 lbs lighter than the Evora GT.

0-60 Evora GT = 4.0 secs

0-60 Emira FE = 4.3 secs (estimated based on pre-production numbers) - .3 seconds slower

Price Evora GT = $131,795 (as tested by Car&Driver)

Price Emira FE = $93,900 - $37,895 LESS

Sales of Evora of all models over its 12 year lifetime from 2009-2021, about 6,000.

Orders for Emira within the first 12 months of it's debut before a single production car has been built, about 7,000 and a 2 year waiting list already. More orders in 12 months than the Evora sold in 12 years.

When you consider it from a business standpoint, not an emotional standpoint, this is remarkable. Like it or not (from the purist's and a few other's perspective), Lotus is doing exactly what they needed to do, and it's paying off big-time. This is better than going out of business. This means parts and support for previous Lotus models and owners. It means new sports cars, and Lotus as a viable player in the upcoming electric automotive world.

Well done Lotus, well done.
Evo said the Emira weighed 1,486kgs. So that’s heading toward 70kg heavier than the GT (assuming measurements are done the same).
Harry Metcalfe seemed to omit the weight in his review (despite regularly weighing cars with his own scales) just made a reference to it feeling heavy at one point.

The Emira is still a great achievement by any standard.

As I’ve written elsewhere, I get it now: it’s not an evolution of the Evora, it is a different car for a different market. For a different set of drivers.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited:

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
But they couldnt, they are using the same engine, but with more restrictions than ever.... They will do well to get the 430 ish HP version out, although there are ways to balance out the CO2 for a manufacturer etc, but they will never make a Lotus with a Toyota engine of over 450 and if they did that from the start, then the final FINAL ultimate, grande finale, would never take place.
SO while you are 100% correct, this could only be done with much much more investment and a NEW v6 engine partner .... They took the cheaper, safer option and maybe for Evora enthusiasts, it has not worked out, but for 90% of their customers it has.....
I wonder wonder will it get in the end to have 7000.... if Evo's final car for review doesn't have 7000 then I doubt very much that our cars will eiither.

It’s hard to see how they get a car that competes with the Cayman really. A 360hp i4 isn’t going to set the world alight. I expect it will be a better B road/track car being lighter.

I assume a tuned up version of the i4 will be the ‘Cup’ or track car, given the assumed hp limitations of the V6.

Ultimately I suspect these are stop-gap, interim products aimed to keep the Lotus badge alive, developing it into a more premium range / badge that leverages Lotus’ past racing heritage into the new EV products.

Not #forthedrivers but still nice to have Lotus around.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Sorry but this isn't true. Pretty sure the 410 engine meets all emissions stds. And 7k would he fine. I will happily be corrected however

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Sorry but this isn't true. Pretty sure the 410 engine meets all emissions stds. And 7k would he fine. I will happily be corrected however
I certainly am not in the know.... , but I feel sure a few people on here have said it and a few reviewers, this is the only reason why its limited to 6800 is what I read, but I am sure someone else will confirm or slam us.. haha.
here, look at Harrys video again, look at 11:5x seconds, he gets VERY close to 6800 and it or he doesnt seem to mention or feel the red line. I guess he was good enough to change exactly as he got there, but for my money he is right at it when he goes from 2nd to 3rd..
What do you think? 7000 does not light up.. but its mighty close

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
also, where does Harry say he has changed his order? Have u seen it .. various people on here have stated it, but I dont see him mention anything about changing his order on the video...... ?

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When Porsche introduced the Cayenne, it was to keep the company afloat. People were balking at a sports car company making SUVs, but the Cayenne was quite good and it kept them going. Then the Macan came out and it was even better handling. Seems like Lotus is going the same route with the Emira.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I certainly am not in the know.... , but I feel sure a few people on here have said it and a few reviewers, this is the only reason why its limited to 6800 is what I read, but I am sure someone else will confirm or slam us.. haha.
here, look at Harrys video again, look at 11:5x seconds, he gets VERY close to 6800 and it or he doesnt seem to mention or feel the red line. I guess he was good enough to change exactly as he got there, but for my money he is right at it when he goes from 2nd to 3rd..
What do you think? 7000 does not light up.. but its mighty close
Henry Catchpole also mentions the 6,750rpm redline in his review.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When Porsche introduced the Cayenne, it was to keep the company afloat. People were balking at a sports car company making SUVs, but the Cayenne was quite good and it kept them going. Then the Macan came out and it was even better handling. Seems like Lotus is going the same route with the Emira.
Yeah, I’d came to the same conclusion.

So the Emira isn’t what we had hoped (the next, better evolution of the Evora) but it’s going to hopefully achieve its desired and essential goal of more sales.

As such, it won’t be as ‘special’ and focused to the affordable niche I wanted, as previous Lotus had been. In that sense we have lost that forever. The only remaining manufacturer that does that for me is McLaren, which are at a completely different price point.

As before, the Emira will still be a very good product and offer better driving dynamics/experience, if not performance, than many cars on sale today.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
also, where does Harry say he has changed his order? Have u seen it .. various people on here have stated it, but I dont see him mention anything about changing his order on the video...... ?
He posted it in the comments section below his YouTube video.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Weight of Emira FE = 3214 lbs. - an increase of 102 lbs. The Emira FE is heavier, but since the FE bundle adds 54kg (119 lbs.), the base model is supposed to be 1405 kg or 3097 lbs, which is actually 15 lbs lighter than the Evora GT.

Ding ding ding! I've been saying this all along. Just wait til we get a GT or Cup version Emira with carbon and lighter seats. Hell, you can throw some aftermarket forged 19s on the Emira and save a rew dozen pounds just in wheel/tire weight right there.

zoomdaddy

Reaction score
Although Emira is beautiful it seems like you will get more bang for your bucks with other car
I’m exactly the middle aged, middle class Cayman driver Lotus are targeting with the Emira, and I’m most definitely taking delivery. Hasn’t got uglier overnight, sounds beautiful to me, is likely to be all the car I need to be my everyday, won’t be a common sight, and looks more practical/complete than any other modern Lotus. I think that poor comms has resulted in us filling in the gaps, and because we want the car to be amazing, we’ve told ourselves it will be, and are now feeling a bit flat that not everyone has been 100% positive. If I’d listened to the reviews on the 718 4 pot Cayman I’d never have bought it, but its been an absolute blast. Still can’t wait to swap it for the Emira though; appreciate its a bit of a gamble, but the odds look mighty good.
Auto manufacturers advertise with numerous publications, reviewers don't fully bite the hand that feeds the bottom line. I took this into account when I read the reviews. My past Lotus ownership experiences compelled me to want another; with added comfort and reliability. My intended Emira driving habit is touring, it will not see the track. I placed my order the day of reveal and have never looked back. I drive a 2006 CaymanS as a daily driver...love this trouble free, fun car...and now my last Lotus. "Best of both worlds".
The reality, both brands make great cars and I embrace the differences.

Lotus-USFL

Reaction score
At the beginning of the year, I remember seeing a Doug DeMuro preview of 2023 cars he's most/least wanting to review. I was a bit shocked when he put the Emira in the 'least wanting to review' camp because he said there is no way it can compete with Porsche. Game over even before it arrives. After seeing these recent reviews, I kinda think he was right. I still LOVE the looks. Beyond the car, I also felt mislead by the dealer last summer on when I might get the car. "You are one of the first deposits, you should get an early car". Then, crickets. Certainly didn't make the FE cut.

Only thing that keeps me staying is there really isn't any new car that gets me that excited. Nissan Z? Hmm, 'ok' but it will have really high dealer markups and no chance to pre-order at MSRP.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira or GT4RS? Not a hard decision 😎
the best sports car made that costs 220k minimum vs 93k first generation british car. (the markup on them is nuts in almost every place aside from my very moral and pleasant dealer)
lol not a tough choice if you have the money. However, if you have a girlfriend, the Emira x2000000 is better. Or if you desire not go deaf after an hour, emira. that gt4RS is just pinnacle stuff

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s hard to see how they get a car that competes with the Cayman really. A 360hp i4 isn’t going to set the world alight. I expect it will be a better B road/track car being lighter.

I assume a tuned up version of the i4 will be the ‘Cup’ or track car, given the assumed hp limitations of the V6.

Ultimately I suspect these are stop-gap, interim products aimed to keep the Lotus badge alive, developing it into a more premium range / badge that leverages Lotus’ past racing heritage into the new EV products.

Not #forthedrivers but still nice to have Lotus around.
it is Mercedes. total crap company. It is a 30 lbs boost 2 liter engine. I am sure that will not have any issues. mmmm... such longevity! It will be a super fun car to drive though and most people on here will douchebag flip it like a meth head in three years, so they will not care about longevity.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
At the beginning of the year, I remember seeing a Doug DeMuro preview of 2023 cars he's most/least wanting to review. I was a bit shocked when he put the Emira in the 'least wanting to review' camp because he said there is no way it can compete with Porsche. Game over even before it arrives. After seeing these recent reviews, I kinda think he was right. I still LOVE the looks. Beyond the car, I also felt mislead by the dealer last summer on when I might get the car. "You are one of the first deposits, you should get an early car". Then, crickets. Certainly didn't make the FE cut.

Only thing that keeps me staying is there really isn't any new car that gets me that excited. Nissan Z? Hmm, 'ok' but it will have really high dealer markups and no chance to pre-order at MSRP.
Well, based on recent reviews, the Emirates certainly competes with the Cayman. Beating it is another matter.

MaybeNeedEmira

Reaction score
it is Mercedes. total crap company. It is a 30 lbs boost 2 liter engine. I am sure that will not have any issues. mmmm... such longevity! It will be a super fun car to drive though and most people on here will douchebag flip it like a meth head in three years, so they will not care about longevity.
I'm not sure 3 years counts as flipping.
Maybe, if they locked it up and went for "No miles" market.

Three years seems like a long time for a meth-head. Not that I know.