More details for KEF Audio

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
During my initial Emira test drive, I found the kef audio system thin and lacking with fm radio on first impression.

Trying out the system in my Emira with android auto / spotify, it sounded pretty damn good. Decent clarity, midrange and bass at city speeds. I was fairly impressed and have zero complaints. I'd expect it to sound even better with hard wired digital audio. It's a decent system.

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve been driving around in my Emira for two weeks and haven’t turned on the sound system once. 😐 The music from behind my head is keeping me fully entertained. I’m sure I will turn it on eventually, but for now I’m no help to you!

Subw00er

Reaction score
During my initial Emira test drive, I found the kef audio system thin and lacking with fm radio on first impression.

Trying out the system in my Emira with android auto / spotify, it sounded pretty damn good. Decent clarity, midrange and bass at city speeds. I was fairly impressed and have zero complaints. I'd expect it to sound even better with hard wired digital audio. It's a decent system.
My other car is like this. It needs a mobile phone source to sound best. Tidal is high Q (if you can deal with all the bad music suggestions..)

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It is true that when you roll down the windows the bass hits noticeably less sharply and for some songs in that scenario the bass hits become a bit garbled and sound somewhat poor. Once the windows are up that problem completely goes away.

That said, I still think the volume is plenty under any conditions (even on the highway at 80mph with the windows fully open). If you're an audiophile you might want to upgrade but for me, it satisfies my needs.
For me, the bass going to shit when you lower the windows is the only real issue I have with the setup, but it’s not really an issue. It’s not the car for listening to music and doesn’t bother me. I personally like to understand stuff and am still trying to get my head around what’s happening.

I’ve noticed if stationary or low speeds, lowering the window doesn’t impact the bass much if at all, it’s only when travelling a bit faster that the bass gets distorted with any window even slightly open.

It’s funny that not many people comment on the bass distortion with windows are opened, yet everyone seems to share their EQ settings with mids and high close to max, bass much lower, as if they are masking a problem.

The Bass is actually quite powerful and goes fairly low for what it is (2 seater sports car), just so long as the windows are closed.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For me, the bass going to shit when you lower the windows is the only real issue I have with the setup, but it’s not really an issue. It’s not the car for listening to music and doesn’t bother me. I personally like to understand stuff and am still trying to get my head around what’s happening.

I’ve noticed if stationary or low speeds, lowering the window doesn’t impact the bass much if at all, it’s only when travelling a bit faster that the bass gets distorted with any window even slightly open.

It’s funny that not many people comment on the bass distortion with windows are opened, yet everyone seems to share their EQ settings with mids and high close to max, bass much lower, as if they are masking a problem.

The Bass is actually quite powerful and goes fairly low for what it is (2 seater sports car), just so long as the windows are closed.
Just wait for the Base Edition

KJWEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As promised, here are the final 3D printed versions of the front and rear speaker mounts, & Amp Mount, allowing you to upgrade your KEF audio to a far superior system. The front mounts allow you to transform from a 3" speaker to any 6.5" speaker, and the rear mounts allow you to install any far superior 5" speaker.

I’m able to produce both front and rear mounts on demand at a cost of £435 (Including postage if you’re within the UK). The mounts are 3D printed at 100% infill, not hollow or honeycomb.

The amp mount can also be produced upon request for £180, (formed from a single sheet of 5mm aluminium, plasma cut & folded into the perfect shape to mount in place of the cars original sub). All holes are pre-drilled and it’s made to take any Audison Forza amp. A 70mm Stainless-steel blanking plate (to cover the bottom free-to-air sub drain-hole).

Speaker wiring colour codes will also be included, saving you hours of time.

I’ve personally completed this upgrade to my own Emira and the difference is night and day – If you enjoy your music as much as the car, then this upgrade is definitely worth it!

I’m sure there will be many questions, and hopefully I’ll have all of the answers as the installation was completed by myself (plus taken 100’s of pictures along the way should these also be of interest).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 28

RyanGphoto

Reaction score
These are pretty awesome! I will def be interested in these when I get my Emira.. Nice job.

HethelYellow

Reaction score
I have an early delivered car (December 22 Factory delivery) and mine has just gone in today to dealer for some minor work but jumping into their brand new demo and using the same music source the KEF in their demo sounds WAY better. One of the Lotus guys jumped in the car and we moved from car to car testing it out, checking the settings were all the same etc and they agreed mine sounded poor in comparison. The demo car was noticeably louder and the bass much tighter. My sub seems to have a mind of its own - sometimes OK but then sounds like it is distorting/rumbling/popping/vibrating slightly (difficult to describe!).

Put it this way, back to back the new demo system sounded like what I would expect a KEF to sound like and mine did not!!

Any thoughts on where to start?

NigeT

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have an early delivered car (December 22 Factory delivery) and mine has just gone in today to dealer for some minor work but jumping into their brand new demo and using the same music source the KEF in their demo sounds WAY better. One of the Lotus guys jumped in the car and we moved from car to car testing it out, checking the settings were all the same etc and they agreed mine sounded poor in comparison. The demo car was noticeably louder and the bass much tighter. My sub seems to have a mind of its own - sometimes OK but then sounds like it is distorting/rumbling/popping/vibrating slightly (difficult to describe!).

Put it this way, back to back the new demo system sounded like what I would expect a KEF to sound like and mine did not!!

As I questioned in post #666 it might be that some early models were actually shipped with the 340w system rather than with the 560w system. I don't know of any way to easily check.

HethelYellow

Reaction score
Thanks - yeah I have raised this with Lotus today to see if they can confirm any differential in fitments!
If I do have one of the earlier low powered ones was it just the amp that is different?

Subw00er

Reaction score
Could also just be more broken in.. speakers need time to loosen up.

KJWEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Hi,

My car was also a December 2022 delivery.

I'm not guaranteeing this is the problem, however, when removing the OEM sub from my Emira, as you'll see from the picture attached, it had water ingress. Here's what I find interesting - My car had been garaged for the last 3 months, it was last washed approx 1 month ago & I don't use it in wet weather (On Cup 2's), so the water sits inside....I suspect over time this may cause others an issue....

The other photo attached shows the two OEM Amplifiers, which (is my understanding) is the upgraded hifi. The Black amp powers the door and dashboard speakers, the silver one powers the two rear speakers and sub. You could see this by removing the pull-out rear access panel on the right-rear side of the car. It can also be identified from the front fuse box located in the left-hand passenger footwell, I think I remember the fuse labelled as "upgraded hifi" or similar - correct name for this fuse is in the handbook that came with the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpeg
    IMG_0162.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 60

HethelYellow

Reaction score
My speakers are definitely run in - I have 6,000 miles on and use the sounds a lot. They definitely improved with use but still sound nothing like this latest demo / loan car.

Very interesting KJW..!! Mine is a daily drive and gets used a lot in the rain - even the really heavy stuff we have had recently. I'm on Sports / Cups too (which gets interesting and was doubly interesting before the wiper fix :-O !!!!!).

Does the driver seat have to come out to access this access panel, as the car is in for a non working heated driver seat with Lotus so it might be convenient to attack all this at the same time!

This is a very helpful thread, thanks guys.

KJWEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My speakers are definitely run in - I have 6,000 miles on and use the sounds a lot. They definitely improved with use but still sound nothing like this latest demo / loan car.

Very interesting KJW..!! Mine is a daily drive and gets used a lot in the rain - even the really heavy stuff we have had recently. I'm on Sports / Cups too (which gets interesting and was doubly interesting before the wiper fix :-O !!!!!).

Does the driver seat have to come out to access this access panel, as the car is in for a non working heated driver seat with Lotus so it might be convenient to attack all this at the same time!

This is a very helpful thread, thanks guys.
Hi,

No problem & happy to help where I can.

To answer your question - No, just move the seat forward. The pull-out trim panel is the panel below the rear speaker - no tools required, just a bit of a tug. The same access panel on the other side allows access to the rear fuse box etc.

HethelYellow

Reaction score
perfect - I have copied bits of this thread to my Lotus guys and will whizz down there in a minute to run through with them

gdotp

Reaction score
I picked up my i4 a couple of weeks ago and I think the sound system is pretty awful. It’s much worse than my wife’s standard BMW i4 one and even my son’s fiesta! I did find the Emiras sound was turned down in the settings so this improved overall volume but generally it’s quite muddy, little separation and is either all or nothing in terms of bass. I’m not really too bothered as I’m no audio fanatic but it’s a shame that a “premium” system is so poor. I may at some time look at replacing front and bass speaker to see if it helps.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sometimes I think I got a totally different emira than most of you because my sound system is completely good and enough

HethelYellow

Reaction score
Well interesting news - I decided to also contact KEF and have had a very swift reply from them to say that the spec never changed across the Emira production so this probably dispels the myth about there being two levels of power in the system instal?

My Lotus guys hopefully having a good look inside the access panel tomorrow to see if there is the potential water ingress issue.

Honcho

Reaction score
It's been said before, but definitely let it run in for a while. Mine was terrible when new. Now it's pretty good.