More details for KEF Audio

KJWEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For those owners who which to upgrade their KEF audio system – Speaker mounts soon to be available!

I will have front and rear speaker mounts up for grabs soon. These are currently with a 3D printing company (UK) and I await the final version. Once I get these in my hand, I will post pics and a price.

This will allow owners to install 6.5” speakers in the doors (currently 3”) and replace the 5” speakers in the rear with far superior 5” speakers.

Upgrading the KEF audio isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, and yes, it will add weight, but this is what makes me happy. The largest weight gain will come from the addition of sound deadening, as there is currently ZERO…which is probably why the original KEF doesn’t sound as great as it could.

I am performing this upgrade myself, currently my car is in bits in my own garage. So, should anyone have questions, or would like pictures, or advice then just holla. I can also provide speaker wire colour identification on the current Amps (yes, there are originally 2!) to make it super easy and quicker for others to do.

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For those owners who which to upgrade their KEF audio system – Speaker mounts soon to be available!

I will have front and rear speaker mounts up for grabs soon. These are currently with a 3D printing company (UK) and I await the final version. Once I get these in my hand, I will post pics and a price.

This will allow owners to install 6.5” speakers in the doors (currently 3”) and replace the 5” speakers in the rear with far superior 5” speakers.

Upgrading the KEF audio isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, and yes, it will add weight, but this is what makes me happy. The largest weight gain will come from the addition of sound deadening, as there is currently ZERO…which is probably why the original KEF doesn’t sound as great as it could.

I am performing this upgrade myself, currently my car is in bits in my own garage. So, should anyone have questions, or would like pictures, or advice then just holla. I can also provide speaker wire colour identification on the current Amps (yes, there are originally 2!) to make it super easy and quicker for others to do.
Can you create a detail Post? (Call it KEF Audi Upgrade or something) with Pictures, removal and install with wire coding and what you’re doing, I think it will be very helpful and informative for those that wish to upgrade or change their systems. Help you with your adapters too. I did the same with my Evora back in 2011/2012 but i did my post on another Lotus Forum since Emira forum did not exist. It gets used today I will get questions sometimes.

Last edited:

KJWEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can you create a detail Post? (Call it KEF Audi Upgrade or something) with Pictures, removal and install with wire coding and what you’re doing, I think it will be very helpful and informative for those that wish to upgrade or change their systems. Help you with your adapters too. I did the same with my Evora back in 2011/2012 but i did my post on another Lotus Forum since Emira forum did not exist. It gets used today I will get questions sometimes.
This is currently in the making.....I need a few weeks to sort though ;)

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is currently in the making.....I need a few weeks to sort though ;)
Great can’t wait and the weight comments from many about the car, I am sure we all could loose a few pounds Not just the car. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1712.png
    IMG_1712.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 47

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Alright so I tinkered a bit with the KEF audio on my initial drive home last night. Initial thoughts are that it is not quite as good as the Harman Kardon system in my 340i (which IMO is really good). However, after adjusting the equalizer and using Carplay (wired and wireless using Spotify as input with highest quality settings), I think the system is more than adequate. At 80mph on I-40 I had it at half volume and it was about as loud as I could handle. It won't WOW you but I think it's more than enough to enjoy music when you want to in the Emira.

I think inputs and equalizer settings matter a ton here. Overall I'm not blown away with the system but I am definitely satisfied with it, especially given the very small cabin compared to a sedan.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Alright so I tinkered a bit with the KEF audio on my initial drive home last night. Initial thoughts are that it is not quite as good as the Harman Kardon system in my 340i (which IMO is really good). However, after adjusting the equalizer and using Carplay (wired and wireless using Spotify as input with highest quality settings), I think the system is more than adequate. At 80mph on I-40 I had it at half volume and it was about as loud as I could handle. It won't WOW you but I think it's more than enough to enjoy music when you want to in the Emira.

I think inputs and equalizer settings matter a ton here. Overall I'm not blown away with the system but I am definitely satisfied with it, especially given the very small cabin compared to a sedan.
Windows up or down at 80mph?

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Windows up. I'm sure you'd have to push it above 50% with them down at 80mph. Is listening to to music at 80mph with windows down really a common use case? I'll try to test that tomorrow when the sun is back out. Of course it's raining all day here in Raleigh on my first day with the Emira at home!

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's a clip I just recorded from an iPad mini around 40% volume parked. I know it's not perfect but maybe gives you a better idea of the quality of the system until you hear it for yourself. Honestly, during my testing today (parked) and after further tweaking, I'd say the system is not just sufficient but actually quite good.

Link (be sure to use decent headphones to hear bass!):

Honcho

Reaction score
My system is improving more each time I drive. I’m at nearly 2000 miles and it’s starting to sound good. If any new owners are disappointed with the audio, definitely give it some time to bed in. Also fix the vibrations from the air vent beside the sub.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Windows up. I'm sure you'd have to push it above 50% with them down at 80mph. Is listening to to music at 80mph with windows down really a common use case? I'll try to test that tomorrow when the sun is back out. Of course it's raining all day here in Raleigh on my first day with the Emira at home!
I drive with my windows down always. Even in winter I put them down about 1/3 of the way and crank the heat. For some reason open windows provide a great sensation for me. I am about 45 minutes away from the mountains via interstate so yea, I will ride at 80MPH with the windows all the way down in the spring/summer/fall months. Maybe I am weird, I just grew up to listening to music and driving. If I am not on a track I have music playing on weekend escapes. Thanks for giving the KEF update.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's a clip I just recorded from an iPad mini around 40% volume parked. I know it's not perfect but maybe gives you a better idea of the quality of the system until you hear it for yourself. Honestly, during my testing today (parked) and after further tweaking, I'd say the system is not just sufficient but actually quite good.

Link (be sure to use decent headphones to hear bass!):
Would be interested in your settings to try on mine...

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Would be interested in your settings to try on mine...
Honestly just go to Audio > Equaliser and turn them all (Bass, Mid, Treble) up to max. So far that seems to be the best sounding setting for me and that's what I had in this video. Seems like it just gives the system more oomph across the spectrum by cranking them all up.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I drive with my windows down always. Even in winter I put them down about 1/3 of the way and crank the heat. For some reason open windows provide a great sensation for me. I am about 45 minutes away from the mountains via interstate so yea, I will ride at 80MPH with the windows all the way down in the spring/summer/fall months. Maybe I am weird, I just grew up to listening to music and driving. If I am not on a track I have music playing on weekend escapes. Thanks for giving the KEF update.
I didn't go 80mph today but I was cruising around 60 on some backroads with the windows down and the system sounded plenty loud and good at no more than half volume. I think you'll be fairly pleased once you tweak it and experience it. HTH!

EDIT: BTW, I don't notice a major difference in bass output whether the windows are up or down.

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Finally retrieved my Emira today and had 3 hours in the car (on the way home) to test out the sound system. Overall I think it's decent. Midrange and highs are pretty good. The system does suffer in the bass department, lacking punch and tight bass. Cranking up the bass only muddies the bass frequencies and just doesn't sound good. I already think the speakers have opened up some after 3 hours of use. Hopefully that continues. Here are the equalizer settings that I landed on for now

IMG_3558.jpeg

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Like, I mentioned in many posts Bass is the main issue. The woofer is too small & the location is not the best with the lack of power for the bass driver. I bet the two drivers in the rear help fill some of the bass. Time will tell but I think in the end I will be modifying mine this coming winter.
Car audio systems:

Last edited:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Calling @Porter when you get a moment please post your thoughts on the KEF so we can add yet another perspective to the only remaining concern I have about the Emira. :)

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Calling @Porter when you get a moment please post your thoughts on the KEF so we can add yet another perspective to the only remaining concern I have about the Emira. :)
It's fine. Honestly. The biggest impediment to great sound in the car isn't the system, it's the fact that there's quite a bit of road noise and wind noise when under way. So the only time you're going to enjoy the stereo is when you're stuck in traffic, which isn't a place you probably want to be spending time in your Lotus anyway.

I found mine to be quite bright at first but it seems to be settling in. Bass extension is actually pretty good, but the system totally lacks the midbass hump you normally find in car systems, so most people will probably find it lacking in bass even though it is actually pretty accurately reproducing recordings.

The equalizer settings are worth fiddling with, in the "season to taste" sense.

In terms of imaging, there is a clear and fairly stable center image in front of the driver, so they are definitely doing some DSP stuff, including time alignment.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
After nearly two weeks and 980 miles (just 20 away after my Virginia trip the past 36 hours!), I still think the system is adequate for the car. It is true that when you roll down the windows the bass hits noticeably less sharply and for some songs in that scenario the bass hits become a bit garbled and sound somewhat poor. Once the windows are up that problem completely goes away.

That said, I still think the volume is plenty under any conditions (even on the highway at 80mph with the windows fully open). If you're an audiophile you might want to upgrade but for me, it satisfies my needs.

For what it's worth, I've now had about 8-10 different people ride in the car and they were all "wowed" by the sound quality in a positive way. I think this is a very subjective topic.

Subw00er

Reaction score
Kef home speakers are very directional and kind of peaky.. Looks like they are using the same uniq tweeter driver. I quite like their R3 speakers, which you can hear at best buy. I wouldn't have chosen that tweeter for a car application though. Its way too directional and there is no way to get on axis with them. I used to compete for sound quality in car audio.. :)