Lotus again delays FE delivery for me.

Liz

Reaction score
Exactly...kind of a shitty way to do things.
I disagree. Read the next sentence. "However, it is our preference that they are built in the order in which they were received and the first orders are scheduled to arrive in the US from Fall 2022."

As the email states, Lotus doesn't have direct control over the dealerships. Their only form of retribution is to decrease the future allocations of cars to those dealerships.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I disagree. Read the next sentence. "However, it is our preference that they are built in the order in which they were received and the first orders are scheduled to arrive in the US from Fall 2022."

As the email states, Lotus doesn't have direct control over the dealerships. Their only form of retribution is to decrease the future allocations of cars to those dealerships.
Lotus isn’t saying they will do anything about the practice. In fact, they go out of their way to prevaricate.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

They have control, but don't seem to enforce it. It's the dealers that do things wrong, not so much Lotus as a brand.

Reactions: Liz

Liz

Reaction score
Lotus isn’t saying they will do anything about the practice. In fact, they go out of their way to prevaricate.
Not in that email. I've had other communications with this same Lotus representative about questionable dealer practices in the US - mainly regarding markups over MSRPs. Lotus will be re-evaluating allocations to dealerships based on how they handle their FE orders.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Delivery confirmation....

My confirmed August delivery that I was then told would be September due to a month delay for everyone has now been re confirmed for August delivery.

All I can think is that I may have been boarder line end of July/early August and now I'm end of August with the adjustment.

Yes I know I know that probably means September.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not in that email. I've had other communications with this same Lotus representative about questionable dealer practices in the US - mainly regarding markups over MSRPs. Lotus will be re-evaluating allocations to dealerships based on how they handle their FE orders.
Absolutely in that email, they go out of their way to say it's in the hands of the dealerships, and if they do it, it's not Lotus' fault. 'Don't blame me!'

Lotus will re evaluate allocations based on which dealerships move the most cars initially and ongoing.

If Lotus found dealer markups truly objectionable, they could drop dealers. Lotus has a weak hand.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Lotus isn't the only one experiencing delays.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 10.43.32 AM.png

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Actually this says that the dealers are free to rearrange the order of order/delivery any way they choose.
This means if some schmuck with more money than brains drops in very late to the party and says he's willing to pay extra to be put higher on the list, others will lose out, and there's no way of stopping it.
Lotus should make it first come first serve with deposit holders.
Very simple, the day a customer puts down a deposit his space in line is set with Lotus at headquarters.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This means if some schmuck with more money than brains drops in very late to the party and says he's willing to pay extra to be put higher on the list, others will lose out, and there's no way of stopping it.
Very simple, the day a customer puts down a deposit his space in line is set with Lotus at headquarters.
I don't know how many times we have to discuss this? Lotus cannot directly impose that kind of process on the dealers in the US, it's illegal. They can use some limited sanctions, such as adjusting future allocations, but even that is tricky. It's the same for almost every other manufacturer and dealer in the US. I believe Tesla is the only one to have a direct to consumer sales model.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
As important as it is to us, delays to the very small number of cars Lotus is going to produce compared to the massive numbers companies like Honda produces, isn't exactly big news to the rest of the automotive world. Lotus has already sent out email notices announcing a 1 month delay. Hopefully that's all it is, and there aren't further delays.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The emails have only gone to a small subset of deposit holders. Not expecting them to do a press release about it, but at least telling existing customers.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know that that is true. Totally aside from dealer machinations on their end of the line, Lotus is going to manufacture the cars in the most efficient and cost effective way as possible. They will batch the cars according to the fewest line changeovers and maximum efficiency.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know that that is true. Totally aside from dealer machinations on their end of the line, Lotus is going to manufacture the cars in the most efficient and cost effective way as possible. They will batch the cars according to the fewest line changeovers and maximum efficiency.
That's 100% true as it happened to me. I was #1 and lost my spot to someone who was 6 months later than me but had $20,000 extra to give the dealer. Lotus told me they can do nothing about it. No first edition for me; and it left such a bad taste in my mouth I'm barely interested in the car now. Not fun ! lol

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
As important as it is to us, delays to the very small number of cars Lotus is going to produce compared to the massive numbers companies like Honda produces, isn't exactly big news to the rest of the automotive world. Lotus has already sent out email notices announcing a 1 month delay. Hopefully that's all it is, and there aren't further delays.

I don't see how the number of cars they produce (or plan to produce) is any excuse for anything. Boutique manufacturers typically over-communicate as a differentiator. It's a sign of quality, it tells their customers that they aren't buying a commodity (i.e. a Honda).

Lotus has sent you an email announcing a 1-month delay? I received nothing and my information was in line with this post: https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/emira-production-and-delivery-update.487308/ except my dealer told me my car would be built in August and delivered in September.

1650813214116.png

I assume, and perhaps incorrectly, that if there's a delay in the UK there will be a cascade to the rest of the world. Unless Lotus is able to accelerate production somehow? Either way, I'm prepared to wait. The wait doesn't bother me, but then again, I don't want to project my expectations onto others.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I think it's safe to say that we'll get our cars when we get them.

Timeline-wise, I've accepted it's just "TBD".

There are simply too many variables at play (continual R&D, supply issues, releasing and focusing on other models, building up a bigger dealership network, etc.,) and I think LOTUS simply doesn't have the bandwidth right now to deal with all of it.
Finally one sensible comment. Common people, go wash your car, watch F1 or MotoGP, play with the kids...just relax and forget about Lotus until eventually some actual meaningful news pop up.