Lotus again delays FE delivery for me.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I know of 2 people who have been told specifically they are still June delivery. Plus 3 people who have not had an email about delaying June to July, so may be still in June. I initially thought auto/manual was a factor, as the first two were both autos. But two others are manual and one I'm not sure. Some are very early deposits (first 20) but others are deposits after mine (so after first 20-50). Hence no pattern at the moment.

I've heard a rumour, not yet verified, that something has been raised during type approval that means having to make changes to production cars. So not a supply chain or build issue. Not clear yet if that affects all cars or if it needs new parts or reworking cars already in build. I'll try to find out more info.
Oh possible part changes or new part.....even with rapid prototyping.... then tooling more die casting.... or press out tools etc..... then again for Type approval..... a month gets very short

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Blue, full black , manual , yellow callipers, black with grey stitch , Goodwood show car spec
I wonder if it’s to do with those opting for full leather seats then. Or possibly you just haven’t been notified of a delay yet!

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've heard a rumour, not yet verified, that something has been raised during type approval that means having to make changes to production cars. So not a supply chain or build issue. Not clear yet if that affects all cars or if it needs new parts or reworking cars already in build. I'll try to find out more info.
If this would be true it could be a typical kind of problem where Lotus would doubt to made it public and give related details in order to explain delays.
Other / common kind of problems would be "easier" to announce and explain.
Frankly speaking on a personal note, Lotus incomprehensible behavior during the last weeks / months made me fear that their problem was a bit more serious than generally expected.
I am sure however that Lotus will succeed to eliminate an evt. "problem".

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know Lotus have a comms strategy of not saying anything unless they are confident in it being accurate. Or at least that was the previous strategy in January when Matt told me and Ade that's what it had been. I don't see any evidence of it changing, despite Matt saying they wanted to get better.

It's a high risk strategy, particularly when you cut off all the dealers from your comms and are trying to lure in new buyers from other brands. People who have previously been in a pre-launch process with Lotus or other manufacturers know you don't get test drives, detailed specifications, confirmation of timings until quite close to delivery etc etc. But those exercises have typically been for a few hundred customers - and what they usually do get is some periodic updates with some sort of content.

Lotus launched the Emira globally and on a scale unlike their or many other previous pre-launch exercises. They had to, as they needed to gauge demand so they could build a factory, hire staff and get a supply chain mobilised in the middle of a pandemic. But apart from a few "you're a priority customer" emails, they've not handled it at all like a pre-launch exercise. A large number of customers don't see it as a pre-launch and so have higher expectations on what they will get in terms of info and clarity. That may be unreasonable but Lotus have fallen into the trap of not understanding or managing those people's expectations. They could have told people more about the steps from reveal to launch and some of the uncertainties plus how they were tackling them (as I know they have). They might have lost a few orders, but I think most people would have understood and reset their expectations accordingly.

Instead (for example) they gave hundreds of people specific months when they expected to deliver their cars. They waited to do this until they were close to start of production. There was some small print and cavets, but the key message was "you're in the June/July/etc batch". Two months before the first of those delivery months they then slipped the date. No explanation (in fact some weasely words trying to make it sound like not a delay), followed by confusion on whether the delay affects everyone, some people, people in later months.

Before they communicated the delay, someone must have assessed the underlying causes and how they thought it was going to affect different customers. Why not just tell people that info? It doesn't need a lot of people to communicate it. In fact you could do one email to all customers with the relevant info.

Of course they are focused on quality and getting the cars built. But the people doing that aren't the people who handle the customer comms, so it's not an either/or situation. You can build a quality car AND communicate with customers.

I'll cut Lotus a lot of slack, probably more than most because I know the people, know the car will be brilliant and live near a great dealer for aftersales. For lots of others it's much harder to be patient when the company gives the impression of caring so little about the people buying their cars.
I don't know these people the way you do, so you're impressions would be more relevant than mine, but I just don't get the feeling that they don't care; it may be just the opposite. My impression is they don't want to talk about anything that's awkward for them, which I can understand, but there's ways to communicate things that aren't necessarily "good news" so that what you say is understandable and can be acceptable. The people in charge of making the car aren't used to talking to people, they're not comfortable with it, that much is clear although they don't do too bad in interviews.

I don't know who's in charge of communications but somebody there just doesn't seem to have much actual experience dealing with retail customers. Maybe they went to college, got a degree and are now in charge of something they never had to actually do. It reminds me of an interview I once saw with Steve Jobs in the 80's, where he talked about how he hired a bunch of top level execs to help take Apple up to the next level to become a serious corporation. He said "It didn't work out. Most of them were bozos. They knew how to manage, but they didn't know how to DO anything." I never forgot that. This is why Matt, Gav and Russell are able to do what they're doing; they worked on the line and actually know how to do things, so they can manage situations with the knowledge of actual experience. They may have hired somebody for communications who looks good on paper, but never worked a retail counter. They know how to manage, but don't know how to actually talk to retail customers, or what that environment is like when they're waiting, and you know what you have to tell them isn't what they would like to hear. You need people skills for that.

Lotus needs practical, friendly communications, not politically correct or legal department homogenized communications.

Geez I wish I could talk to Matt directly. I have decades of retail experience, and could lay out a strategy and plan for him to bring the brand image of Lotus alive for the customer experience. It wouldn't actually take all that much to do either.

I know once we get past these birthing pains, things will smooth out and be better, but in the meantime, it doesn't appear Lotus wants to be seen screaming "I AM PUSHING!!!".

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Geez I wish I could talk to Matt directly. I have decades of retail experience, and could lay out a strategy and plan for him to bring the brand image of Lotus alive for the customer experience. It wouldn't actually take all that much to do either.
smilie-Greis.gif

JC_shakehead.gif

PhilCP

Reaction score
I'm (supposed to be) a June delivery and not had any email delaying it yet. I've asked Lotus for an update re my order and i'll report back.

My Car is sports suspension. I wonder if those delayed have opted for touring?

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm (supposed to be) a June delivery and not had any email delaying it yet. I've asked Lotus for an update re my order and i'll report back.

I'm touring, and I'm also yet to receive an email delaying, so I'm still looking at a June delivery, apparently.
My spec, if it helps anyone, is, V6 manual, touring, dark verdant, yellow calipers, black wheels, black leather, lower black pack

PhilCP

Reaction score

So Lotus have replied that all June deliveries have been delayed and mine is now estimated for ...... August 😠
I've replied asking why August :cry:

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So Lotus have replied that all June deliveries have been delayed and mine is now estimated for ...... August 😠
I've replied asking why August :cry:
Very inconsistent? Like you I was supposed to be June and still haven't had an email telling me of delays

spice

Reaction score
I specced touring , still no contact 🤷‍♂️ but won’t be surprised if car delayed , we will just have to wait a little longer .

G

Guest142

First my FE V6 was going to be here this spring, then November timeframe, now they say the order is going in this week and I will get the car in early 2023! I replied "At some point Lotus actually has to deliver a product". Anyway, frustrating but what can you do. I don't want anything else.
Oct, Nov, Dec, Feb, Mar,...it really doesn't matter to me...it comes when it comes. I'll be just as excited or even more excited whenever it arrives. It's just a cool, fun, and awesome thing. I tend to not let delays, setbacks, and expectations dampen my enthusiasm or frustrate me. Too much negative in the world to allow it a fantastic thing like the Emira become a pain point. That's my view on it. It's a joyful experience...don't let anything take away from that joy. Just enjoy the process no matter how it shales out...things don't have to happen in our time they happen when they happen. At some point it'll happen....until then I have so many other things to keep me busy that I won't even notice the time flying by. Perspective is key.

spice

Reaction score
I don’t really care how long I have to wait , I feel very lucky to be waiting ,I don’t suppose there will be any sympathy if you start moaning about it 😂😂😂😂

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Terrible email. Awful communication.

In the “who blew the stop sign” method of blame, Lotus would be found at fault, get the ticket, and have their driving privileges revoked.

The overwhelming interest was made clear in July of 2021. Even though it doesn’t matter, wouldn’t we all be happier with a - “hey, we’ve really messed up on logistics and communication here, but good news we are a fantastic car company and we will make a very good vehicle for you”?

Lotus never touted their marketing prowess nor their amazing communication capability… They should lean into that, admit it, and make us a car because that’s what they’re good at.

#ForTheExcuses

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I guess I don't understand how "unprecedented demand" leads to new production delays now for people who put their deposits down in July of 2021. Still, good things take time. I'm here patiently waiting with my late September deposit. :ROFLMAO:

PhilCP

Reaction score
Did you call, or email them?
Email

When I've queried why August they replied :

"Yes, your delivery estimation is August. This is due to the capacity of production at factory. We've tried to plan as many vehicles in for production to equal July delivery however some have resulted in early July production and August delivery."