Lotus 3rd Phone Call

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks Tom, they sent me an e-mail on Monday asking if I want V6 or the I4 but it went to my junk so I missed it until today.
When I first placed deposit and after trip to Goodwood to see the car I asked them some Questions about the gearbox/clutch on the V6 Emira and if it had been tweaked over the exige/evora set up (concerned as I had same issue with both my exige V6’s and don’t want to have same issue for a third time) response I got at the time was a resounding “no” and hadn’t heard anything else since (maybe I was black listed 🤷‍♂️ 😬)
Understood. I've seen a few messages about a new round of "do you want V6 or i4" emails having been sent earlier this week. I know Lotus didn't manage to contact all the UK deposit holders before Christmas about this choice. But I'm surprised some of the people now being contacted appear to have placed first deposits in July/Aug. Perhaps they are doing a sweep through of people with first deposits who didn't reply. I'd be interested to hear what they say when you speak to them.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Clearly yes I understand all that Tom , and yes the way thing look, the price will go up..... if not Lotus putting it up, the cost to buy the car could well go up. With the Bank of Englands base rate now at 0.5%. Every chance the cost of HP/PCP .... credit card, loans etc will go up.

Sorry are you thinking about the 30 year high in inflation.... the cost of gas and electric increase.... the cost to transport parts etc, pressure for wages to go up..... Its got to be a big worry for many. If lotus put the cost of the car up inline with inflation 6% then the cost of HP/PCP goes up.... I think many will be looking closer at buying the car.

Being locked into the finance companmy you can use dont help..... So ok you can have Lotus invoice you for the car, and hope you can find a company that will work with you this way..... but not all will..... so you are a little limited, and not all the company offering a better rate are happy working that way

But i still think there is a better way to sort the issue.... and please dont talk to me like some kind of simpleton.... I understand how the world works.... but just because some thing is harder, does not make the easy option, the right one. Am I wrong to hope for better ?
It's fine to hope for a better way but I think you're being unrealistic. Just my opinion and it differs from yours, that's OK. Lotus have shown over the last few months that they are still an engineering- and production-driven company, not customer-led. So while we all would like them to do better and treat customers more effectively and fairly, I'm not surprised to see them take an approach that makes production easier over one that is 100% fair to everyone. We're seeing the same thing happening on a larger scale with the US V6 FE allocations. Should they change? Yes. Will they change? Probably. Will they change in the next few weeks? Unlikely.

If you wanted to go down a big rabbit hole of conspiracy thinking, reflect on why Lotus didn't ask for 3rd deposits in January and is allowing cancellation up to 30 days before delivery, while re-reading the deposit T&Cs about pricing and knowing what's happening to supplier price inflation. [And to be clear, I have NO information to suggest Lotus are thinking about increasing prices and I only pose this as a thought experiment - what would you do if you were running Lotus, had more orders than you could build in the next 1-2 years and suppliers saying they only planned for volumes/prices for 5k cars a year]

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
What ? a lot of ?.... Some one better than me.....said if you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing. I respect what every one else has said.... its part of the conversation..... how is saying its a lot, am guessing its a word with 4 letters ? Have a
Clearly yes I understand all that Tom , and yes the way thing look, the price will go up..... if not Lotus putting it up, the cost to buy the car could well go up. With the Bank of Englands base rate now at 0.5%. Every chance the cost of HP/PCP .... credit card, loans etc will go up.

Sorry are you thinking about the 30 year high in inflation.... the cost of gas and electric increase.... the cost to transport parts etc, pressure for wages to go up..... Its got to be a big worry for many. If lotus put the cost of the car up inline with inflation 6% then the cost of HP/PCP goes up.... I think many will be looking closer at buying the car.

Being locked into the finance companmy you can use dont help..... So ok you can have Lotus invoice you for the car, and hope you can find a company that will work with you this way..... but not all will..... so you are a little limited, and not all the company offering a better rate are happy working that way

But i still think there is a better way to sort the issue.... and please dont talk to me like some kind of simpleton.... I understand how the world works.... but just because some thing is harder, does not make the easy option, the right one. Am I wrong to hope for better ?
Suggest you cancel and get yourself a second hand Porsche if it’s upsetting you so much.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Suggest you cancel and get yourself a second hand Porsche if it’s upsetting you so much.
Upsetting me... no.... I have been out in a GTS 4.0 this morning.... got to say them 18 way electric sports seats are something else and £72,500 with OTR Cost being under £75,000 for my spec..... still an option

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It's fine to hope for a better way but I think you're being unrealistic. Just my opinion and it differs from yours, that's OK. Lotus have shown over the last few months that they are still an engineering- and production-driven company, not customer-led. So while we all would like them to do better and treat customers more effectively and fairly, I'm not surprised to see them take an approach that makes production easier over one that is 100% fair to everyone. We're seeing the same thing happening on a larger scale with the US V6 FE allocations. Should they change? Yes. Will they change? Probably. Will they change in the next few weeks? Unlikely.

If you wanted to go down a big rabbit hole of conspiracy thinking, reflect on why Lotus didn't ask for 3rd deposits in January and is allowing cancellation up to 30 days before delivery, while re-reading the deposit T&Cs about pricing and knowing what's happening to supplier price inflation. [And to be clear, I have NO information to suggest Lotus are thinking about increasing prices and I only pose this as a thought experiment - what would you do if you were running Lotus, had more orders than you could build in the next 1-2 years and suppliers saying they only planned for volumes/prices for 5k cars a year]
Fair comment.... I always hope for better..... but if they are going to be the company they have aspired to be, things need to change ? Are we able to make change happen.... may be not.... but we do know they are keeping an eye on whats said.... use going oh well that just how it is with lotus.... keep letting it slide ? ?

As for the USA.... Ive seen some saying dealers wanting 7K from people to move up the list..... not a good place to be

Inflation and price increase ? who knows..... the big man a Lotus.... a lot will depend of sales.... prices negotiated in contracts for parts.....know getting away from increased transport cost fuel and wages etc. Clearly the cost of finance packages Lotus dont have much control over

Yep did talk about 3rd deposit etc, shame it did not happen

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For my 2pence on this issue I think they have done the best they can. It's gone to a customer who was an early depositor and hopefully and enthusiast yes he's been lucky but it's a mine field to sort this out look what's happening in the US with dealers possibly trying to get premiums to jump the que and porsche who only give the best cars to customers who spend a million a year. Lotus for the drivers.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Upsetting me... no.... I have been out in a GTS 4.0 this morning.... got to say them 18 way electric sports seats are something else and £72,500 with OTR Cost being under £75,000 for my spec..... still an option
I test drove one a few weeks back. Thought it was a great car, but I've never been a fan of the design language. However I don't think you can go wrong buying one if that's not an issue.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I test drove one a few weeks back. Thought it was a great car, but I've never been a fan of the design language. However I don't think you can go wrong buying one if that's not an issue.
They are a wonderful car, had two now, Boxster.... the 18 way seats..... just :) get them set right, you could drive for hours.... but for me they are well, all over the place....dont give give them a second look.... which.... sounding daft...... the car deserves more respect.....The Cayman has been knobbled by Porsche.... give the power of the 911 it would prove a better option.... the GTS 4.0 comes close.... epic .... even with the tall gearing

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
They are a wonderful car, had two now, Boxster.... the 18 way seats..... just :) get them set right, you could drive for hours.... but for me they are well, all over the place....dont give give them a second look.... which.... sounding daft...... the car deserves more respect.....The Cayman has been knobbled by Porsche.... give the power of the 911 it would prove a better option.... the GTS 4.0 comes close.... epic .... even with the tall gearing
The Coxsters are great cars BUT there's just something missing from the brand for me, maybe it's because the best cars are unattainable unless you have transacted a lot of cars with Porsche.

Let's be honest if the Emira wasnt so good looking a lot of us wouldn't have contemplated it and gone to Porsche, Aston, Ferrari or McLaren. I was going to buy a used Aston vanquish but Lotus showed me the way.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The Coxsters are great cars BUT there's just something missing from the brand for me, maybe it's because the best cars are unattainable unless you have transacted a lot of cars with Porsche.

Let's be honest if the Emira wasnt so good looking a lot of us wouldn't have contemplated it and gone to Porsche, Aston, Ferrari or McLaren. I was going to buy a used Aston vanquish but Lotus showed me the way.
Yep I was Looking for MP4-12C .... Or DB9.... The 12C has started to go up in price.... I should of brought one last year, instead I whimped out and brought BMW 840D Xdrive..... wonderful car, but souless. Thing is with second hand 12c/DB9 you looking at few grand a year for aftermarket warranty

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yep I was Looking for MP4-12C .... Or DB9.... The 12C has started to go up in price.... I should of brought one last year, instead I whimped out and brought BMW 840D Xdrive..... wonderful car, but souless. Thing is with second hand 12c/DB9 you looking at few grand a year for aftermarket warranty
My head wasn't comfortable with the high running costs of the Aston even though I have the money.
The 8 series is a good safe car for GTng but as you say doesn't stir the soul.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I am actually selling my DB9 to make space for the Emira. Tough decision after 13+ years loving it.
One would think I am actually downgrading. But I definitely think Emira is going to turn out amazing

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My head wasn't comfortable with the high running costs of the Aston even though I have the money.
The 8 series is a good safe car for GTng but as you say doesn't stir the soul.
Yep..... worrid me a little with astom martin.... Have you driven a MP4-12C ..... worth a try..... Found one I wanted... but guy went in day before... paid cash.... even after I paid 2K deposit.... Think he offered full price..... which it was worth... and had already got 3k off sticker. Was for the better I think .... turned out it had covid linked to it :confused: Thorney Motorsport knew the car, when I rang and asked them to do prey purchase inspection with a veiw to taking out there warranty

The 8 yes a good A to B car, nice prace to be.... But unlike with the Maserati... I did not smile like a kid every time I fired it up

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hate to say it...but...... buy a Porsche and you can't go wrong. Becoming the car equivalent of Rolex!
I have driven the GTS 4.0L twice now..... its a very good car..... the 18 way seats :) I specked today , basic.... PDK ( oh wish i could still drive with 6 speed, but knee dont work to well )0 to 60 faster with auto. Guards Red, cruise control, 18 way leather seats £72,000 otr cost less than£2,500 inc reg

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I am actually selling my DB9 to make space for the Emira. Tough decision after 13+ years loving it.
One would think I am actually downgrading. But I definitely think Emira is going to turn out amazing
Yes... true.... Do from time to time, have a look on Autotrader etc..... would cost as much to get a later DB9 .... you not getting 5.9% on one.. perhaps from aston dealer one years warranty.... MP4-12C same, new Cayman GTS 4.0L good.... but Caymans are well......all over the place.....