Larini looking for UK Emira owner to help develop exhaust options

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Cross-posting this from one of the Facebook groups:

I am David Clark from Larini Systems, we are looking to borrow a Lotus Emira to develop an exhaust on. In return for lending us your car, we will fit an exhaust free of charge. We will need the car in the South West of the UK for 2-3 weeks. If interested please email [email protected]

We will post photos and important sound clips up once its complete!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I imagine not, but I suppose the first question is.... would this effect the warranty in any shape or form.....

Kammi

Reaction score
"The cavalier enjoys and is silent..";)
Incidentally, the exhaust system can be exchanged again at short notice! Think that's a nice action by Larini!

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I imagine not, but I suppose the first question is.... would this effect the warranty in any shape or form.....
From the Lotus warranty booklet:

Parts Not Approved By Lotus
Any Lotus part affected or damaged by the fitment of a non-approved part will not be covered by this Warranty and may invalidate the complete vehicle warranty.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
From the Lotus warranty booklet:

Parts Not Approved By Lotus
Any Lotus part affected or damaged by the fitment of a non-approved part will not be covered by this Warranty and may invalidate the complete vehicle warranty.
So that makes it kind of tricky....... get a 2k exhaust, pay delivery and collection charges and insurance, depreciation over the potential month without the car, road tax (if dont sorn which they probably wont want you to...)
Not sure its a good deal ....

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
if you worry about the total monthly costs of your car then an Emira probably isn’t for you in the first place!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
if you worry about the total monthly costs of your car then an Emira probably isn’t for you in the first place!
I disagree entirely..... and thats probably the reason for many of the cancelations as monthly interest rates go up, which is a big factor in monthly costs.

How many multimillionaires on here can afford not to even think about the monthly cost of their cars..houses...etc

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Things like insurance and road tax are sunk costs - they mostly don't vary by mile (unless you have a limited mileage policy or tax/SORN for parts of the year). Depreciation is largely based on elapsed time, with mileage only a secondary factor. Finance costs are based on loan amount, rate and elapsed time, again with mileage only a secondary factor.

So yes, you can working out a "cost per day" or "cost per mile". If that influences whether you drive your car more or less, or is a factor in whether you hand it to Larini for 3 weeks, seems like a strange thought process to me, that's all.

If you've bought the car and are already paying for the running costs, then the real opportunity cost of lending it to Larini is tiny. Invalidating your warranty would seem like a far more important consideration.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I know what you are saying.... but I view things differently..
I think this is not a keeper, discussed elsewhere, so I may have it for 12/24 months. My total costs are...xxxx including the dreaded unknown, depreciation.
And out of those 12/24 months at x costs per month, do I want Larini to have the car for 1 month instead of me and for me to lose the excitement of that potentially 1st month with the car. I will admit I am slight "catalan". "scottish" in my tightness though and so yes, I would consider all this crap before handing my car over and I would want some companionship, I mean, compensation for my loss of enjoyment and wasted costs, wether sunk or floating :)

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So given your likely ownership, the Larini offer doesn't suit you. That's fine. If you're planning to sell the car in the next 1-2 years then invalidating the warranty doesn't make sense.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Too bad y’all don’t have me equivalent of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act over there :(

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I know what you are saying.... but I view things differently..
I think this is not a keeper, discussed elsewhere, so I may have it for 12/24 months. My total costs are...xxxx including the dreaded unknown, depreciation.
And out of those 12/24 months at x costs per month, do I want Larini to have the car for 1 month instead of me and for me to lose the excitement of that potentially 1st month with the car. I will admit I am slight "catalan". "scottish" in my tightness though and so yes, I would consider all this crap before handing my car over and I would want some companionship, I mean, compensation for my loss of enjoyment and wasted costs, wether sunk or floating :)
Im guessing no modifications for you whatsoever. I better not calculate my cost per mile, I'd be negatively disappointed