June delivery delay - Lotus now says July…

Featured
I was down for a June delivery but I’ve just received this from Lotus…

As you’ll be aware from our previous communication, your new Emira specification is now fixed in our production system and scheduled to be completed in June 2022. Therefore, we are pleased to inform you that your new Emira will be ready for handover in July 2022. Ahead of this, we will be in contact to arrange the delivery and handover with you. We appreciate this is later than originally predicted, so please accept our sincere apologies for the slight delay.

In the coming weeks we will be providing more information regarding financial services, trade-in and insurance products that you may be interested in for your new Emira. Following that, a couple of weeks before handover we will be in touch to complete the checkout process.
We know you have been waiting and are excited to receive your new Emira but please be assured that it will be everything you’d expect and more from a Lotus car.

I’m not that surprised but was wondering if anyone else hoping for a June car has been told it’s still on or is everyone’s delayed a little?

GreenDeal

Reaction score
I got the same email. Looks like it's gone to most/all of the June batch, as I've seen people with both very early and later deposits in the June batch having been contacted. Weasel words about June meant completion and so delivery is July - no, you said delivery in June and so this is a month's delay.

No explanation provided, so we've no idea on level of confidence on the new timing. And no indication if they're working around it to maintain July deliveries (eg the previous stockpiling) or if July onwards will be delayed too. I'd been told by senior people two months ago they were positive about hitting June.

Part of me isn't surprised, there's a load of stuff going on that can impact on delivery. But also part of me is disappointed I won't now have an Emira in time for Festival of Speed or Lotus in the Peak plus a couple of other events.
Yes, true! Is it really annoying about the late delivery date? But don't be sad, you will definitely get your Emira. Promised! ;) But it's the same with everyone else. My dealer told me that my FE V6 will be produced in August and delivered in early September. Despite the delay, I'm still looking forward to it!:)

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yes, true! Is it really annoying about the late delivery date? But don't be sad, you will definitely get your Emira. Promised! ;) But it's the same with everyone else. My dealer told me that my FE V6 will be produced in August and delivered in early September. Despite the delay, I'm still looking forward to it!:)
I did notice a lot of left hand drive cars at all stages of build on my tour I guess thats good news for the rest of the world.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Now this has me worried ! Did any other Hethel visitors observe this too?
No. Panel gaps looked good except in one place and every car had the same ... not gap but slight change in the panel flush fit. Just behind the rear wheel arch

ARA

Reaction score
No. Panel gaps looked good except in one place and every car had the same ... not gap but slight change in the panel flush fit. Just behind the rear wheel arch
I think this has been pointed out on an earlier post too if I'm not mistaken. I think someone had circled it on the free lotus giveaway thread. Is it that the panel gap is much narrower towards the tyre compared to the rear light cluster, between bumper and rear quarter panel? That is what i seem to see on photos. I hope it's not a prod issue. Surely they would be able to spot it with all the focus on getting the quality control 100% up to speed. I'll reserve full judgement though as haven't actually got the full facts in front of us.

Last edited:

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think this has been pointed out on an earlier post too if I'm not mistaken. I think someone had circled it on the free lotus giveaway thread. Is it that the panel gap is much narrower towards the tyre compared to the rear light cluster, between bumper and rear quarter panel? That is what i seem to see on photos. I hope it's not a prod issue. Surely they would be able to spot it with all the focus on getting the quality control 100% up to speed. I'll reserve full judgement though as haven't actually got the full facts in front of us.
I did ask but Nick the tour guide didn't know. I should have asked one of the production chaps

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I also just got a phone call from Lotus to say the last communication for July delivery is still current, but could change ...They said 30 days before the collection / delivery date they would be expecting the money and a contract to be signed.
They also asked if I was putting a private plate on, which I am not, been there done that....
Spoke to someone home working as could here the baby in the background.

Asked if trading in a car, which I am not.
no more info to report. I dont feel any more or less confident about July delivery based on this call... Im 50.50.
Ahhh, I told them I am undecided re collection or delivery as it really depends on the date as I am flying in... they said no problem, I can decide later... So clearly not at 30 days yet as no more money asked for. Just a planning phase as getting closer..

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
They also asked if I was putting a private plate on, which I am not, been there done that....
Have you had issues with private registrations on new cars? It's not something I've done before but I do have a private reg

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Have you had issues with private registrations on new cars? It's not something I've done before but I do have a private reg
no no issues, but its a hassle and an extra cost to put them on and take them off and my level of vanity has decreased since I have two dogs.. hah. I think I have 2 private plates registered to my name which I used but since selling those cars, I havent used them since..

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Keen to know this too as I was planning on putting a private reg on the Emira from new
Its not a problem but you need to have it by the time they get in touch or very soon after as they need to send the info to the DVLA.
They have a batch of reg's which they will use, but probably wont use one of them if you already have a private reg to put on...
No issues, they seem to be offering the service....

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Its not a problem but you need to have it by the time they get in touch or very soon after as they need to send the info to the DVLA.
They have a batch of reg's which they will use, but probably wont use one of them if you already have a private reg to put on...
No issues, they seem to be offering the service....
As you seem to have done this before, what happens when you then come to sell the car and remove the plate, if it never had a standard reg, do the DVLA just assign it a random one from the correct year?

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
As you seem to have done this before, what happens when you then come to sell the car and remove the plate, if it never had a standard reg, do the DVLA just assign it a random one from the correct year?
I always thought that myself, but my Nomad ...ex nomad... had a plate assigned to it anyway, they just didnt bother getting the physical plates.
maybe someone else knows.... I imagine you would need to apply for a new plate with the dvla.... but easiest if lotus do actually get a regular registration and then do the change, it can normally be done in a few days, so this would save you the hassle later.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you first register the car with a personal plate, then when you sell the car you put the plate on retention and DVLA assign a random plate from the right year index.

Some dealers do first registration on a standard plate and then immediately do the personal assignment. In that case DVLA will usually assign the original registration number back on the car when you take the personal plate off.

You need to have the retention certificate for your personal registration when Lotus contact you 30 days before delivery, as you’ll then need to post it to them before they can complete first registration.

Dealers used to handle registration but Lotus are now going to do it centrally.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have done this a number of times as I have a couple of personalized plates I move around. Prompted by the call from Lotus, I have just taken the plate I intend for the Emira off an existing car. All done on line, I have just removed the old plates and fitted the new ones, which I already had as I was allocated back the cars original reg number. The retention certificate is on its way to me in the post. £80 to the DVLA. Not sure if Lotus will actually need to see the physical retention cert or just a scan will do but I am sure I will find out in due course.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have done this a number of times as I have a couple of personalized plates I move around. Prompted by the call from Lotus, I have just taken the plate I intend for the Emira off an existing car. All done on line, I have just removed the old plates and fitted the new ones, which I already had as I was allocated back the cars original reg number. The retention certificate is on its way to me in the post. £80 to the DVLA. Not sure if Lotus will actually need to see the physical retention cert or just a scan will do but I am sure I will find out in due course.
For others following this - Road Fund Licence and MOT details get automatically transferred - but don't forget to update your insurance - I've nearly missed that in the past..... ;)

andyss

Reaction score
If it had a reg assigned before the private plate went on then they usually reassign that to the car when you take it off. But I think in theory at least they can allocate any plate from the correct year, though I think in practice it's always the original plate unless that's been used in the interim period.