June Delivery / Change of Spec info

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth, but after listening to Gavan as he's driving around Hethel, I think I'll go with Touring. I'm not the reincarnation of Ayrton Senna, so any performance driving I do, the limiting factor is going to be me, not the chassis. I want to take the car on trips and such, so Touring sounds like it's going to be the best of all worlds for me.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I f anyone has any none Lotus comparisons for Sports Suspension I'm all ears 👂 😄
Preferably Yaris GR, Porsche, BMW MCar or Golf R as that's the last 8 years for me and I can't remember anything past that cos I'm getting old 😅
I went to B&C to test drive an Evora GT410 Sport in my circuit pack GR Yaris. I found they were spookily similar in terms of taughtness and having a noticeably 'busy ride' on anything other than smooth tarmac. I can completely believe that's the price you'll pay for ticking the sport option on Emira, any car with more track orientated bushes and damping transmits more of the road surface into the chassis. Which most people would probably describe as being a bit uncomfortable.

Personally I wouldn't say it was too much but it is quite hard and tallies with Gav saying sport is a compromise for the road. I'm ok with that, it's not going to be a daily and I'm on the mildly sadistic end of what I'm prepared to put up with (have spent many years in classic minis.) The Yaris is my go to car at the moment and that does make me slightly grit my teeth when I hit a stretch of poor road. Solution: simplify and add speed! Serious point: I don't know how much truth there is in it but I recall reading that some suspension setups start smoothing things out at higher speeds.

The odd thing with the Yaris is the ride height is 'rally car tall' which is a bit odd considering you buy it with circuit pack. When I did Brands the body roll was quite unnerving to start with. But you adapt to it quickly and it's something else to enjoy. But it's why a lot of people are doing the Lichfield suspension mod. I think Emira on touring will be exactly the same on track (it's exactly how it looks in the Shmee video.)

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I went to B&C to test drive an Evora GT410 Sport in my circuit pack GR Yaris. I found they were spookily similar in terms of taughtness and having a noticeably 'busy ride' on anything other than smooth tarmac. I can completely believe that's the price you'll pay for ticking the sport option on Emira, any car with more track orientated bushes and damping transmits more of the road surface into the chassis. Which most people would probably describe as being a bit uncomfortable.

Personally I wouldn't say it was too much but it is quite hard and tallies with Gav saying sport is a compromise for the road. I'm ok with that, it's not going to be a daily and I'm on the mildly sadistic end of what I'm prepared to put up with (have spent many years in classic minis.) The Yaris is my go to car at the moment and that does make me slightly grit my teeth when I hit a stretch of poor road. Solution: simplify and add speed! Serious point: I don't know how much truth there is in it but I recall reading that some suspension setups start smoothing things out at higher speeds.

The odd thing with the Yaris is the ride height is 'rally car tall' which is a bit odd considering you buy it with circuit pack. When I did Brands the body roll was quite unnerving to start with. But you adapt to it quickly and it's something else to enjoy. But it's why a lot of people are doing the Lichfield suspension mod. I think Emira on touring will be exactly the same on track (it's exactly how it looks in the Shmee video.)
Oooo thanks for the summary. I don't find the GR suspension bad at all. In fact it's pretty compliant after the M2 and as you say gets better the faster you go. If you are saying the 410 wasn't any less busy then I have another quandary on my hands!
I take it you have decided on Touring though?
I dont want to lose steering feel and feedback even if there is some 'chatter' A slight bit of roll I can live with, but not excessive roll from corner to corner.
I know I sound like a broken record now 😁 On the Schmee video on the track it does look like the car comes out of the corner onto the straight under load and rolls one way and then wobbles... the other as it settles into a straight line.

Last edited:

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For those that have never owned or experienced a Lotus, the ride quality is exemplary for a sports car. The Evora would challenge most exec saloons for ride quality.

Even the Exige can cover large distances. I’ve mentioned before I had one day where I did 700 miles in 24 hrs in an Exige 380…not by choice tbh, but still fine.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
For those that have never owned or experienced a Lotus, the ride quality is exemplary for a sports car. The Evora would challenge most exec saloons for ride quality.
See as a none Lotus driver that fills me with fear 😅 But equally I do like good damping and matched spring rates...

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Watch the Top Gear video where Jeremy tests the Evora and goes off track by accident. He is amazed that it was handling so well on the track and sliding around like a champ, but he could drive around a field of daisies and said it was smooth and comfortable, unlike a regular supercar that would rattle your body apart. It's pretty funny, but a testament to the Lotus suspension design.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Watch the Top Gear video where Jeremy tests the Evora and goes off track by accident. He is amazed that it was handling so well on the track and sliding around like a champ, but he could drive around a field of daisies and said it was smooth and comfortable, unlike a regular supercar that would rattle your body apart. It's pretty funny, but a testament to the Lotus suspension design.
OK I do get it and thats what makes Lotus car set up so special. Maybe will watch a few more vids.
I watched the Harry's Garage Evora 410 review at weekend though and thought that really didn't look that bad around the Cotswolds (my dad lives there) and comparative to the roads in the Peak where I am

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
OK I do get it and thats what makes Lotus car set up so special. Maybe will watch a few more vids.
I watched the Harry's Garage Evora 410 review at weekend though and thought that really didn't look that bad around the Cotswolds (my dad lives there) and comparative to the roads in the Peak where I
I watched the Harry's Garage Evora 410 review at weekend though and thought that really didn't look that bad around the Cotswolds (my dad lives there) and comparative to the roads in the Peak where I am
I think I’ve come to the conclusion that even the touring car will be more capable then the limits I can drive at. Just getting to the good roads in the peaks means driving on some real undulating roads. I found that the GR became less busy at speed but I couldn’t do it long in the peaks before hitting traffic or cyclists. My benchmark was the roads around Beely leading to Darley Dale. My M3 bounces even in comfort mode on the EDC on the pot holed roads of Matlock and Chesterfield.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think I’ve come to the conclusion that even the touring car will be more capable then the limits I can drive at. Just getting to the good roads in the peaks means driving on some real undulating roads. I found that the GR became less busy at speed but I couldn’t do it long in the peaks before hitting traffic or cyclists. My benchmark was the roads around Beely leading to Darley Dale. My M3 bounces even in comfort mode on the EDC on the pot holed roads of Matlock and Chesterfield.
I live on the tops of Matlock. Gutted I can't try a car on those roads, nice to have someone else know what they are like. My M2 was rubbish around here (as were all my Beemers to be fair) My Porches with PASM were awesome. I just know I'm not going to get that again without buying another Porsche and I do really want a change. I will just stop fretting now and get Touring. Now just need to decide if I'm ringing up tomorrow to change my interior colour caliper colour and adding Black Pack 🙈😅

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
TV

i configured sport and cup 2s. Planning to stick with sport but swap to the goodyears,
I thought u were saying after all that you were going Touring 😅One thing I do know for sure is Cup 2s aren't the best in the UK!

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My experience is that the GRY CP is far more compliant at speed than the RGB on the same roads (undulating B roads), but RGB offers better feedback but the tyres play a big role here. The GRY is running OEM MPS 4S v Nankang NS-2Rs on the RGB. The RGB has zero body roll and running Ohlins adjustable dampers, which was a factory option. The default setup is more geared to fast road driving, but can easily be adjusted to suit track work.

Having said that, I am leaning towards the touring setup, but will reserve judgment until I get to drive one with sports suspension. Either way, I will go for Goodyear Eagle F1s.

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My experience is that the GRY CP is far more compliant at speed than the RGB on the same roads (undulating B roads), but RGB offers better feedback but the tyres play a big role here. The GRY is running OEM MPS 4S v Nankang NS-2s on the RGB. The RGB has zero body roll.

Having said that, I am leaning towards the touring setup, but will reserve judgment until I get to drive one with sports suspension. Either way, I will go for Goodyear Eagle F1s.
I like that about the Yaris. Has that purposeful solidity of feel at slow speed and then when you start to push on it just gets better and better until you just feel at one with it

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I like that about the Yaris. Has that purposeful solidity of feel at slow speed and then when you start to push on it just gets better and better until you just feel at one with it
Exactly right, and in the wet the GRY's capabilities are immense. Enjoyed a week driving around the North Lakes, and was pleasantly surprised at how capable it was on those roads, both in the dry and the wet.

What sets the GRY and RGB apart are their respective kerb weights (1,280kg vs 935kg respectively). The difference is instantly noticeable, and also the electric power steering of the GRY is no match for the unassisted steering (feel) of the Lotus.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Exactly right, and in the wet the GRY's capabilities are immense. Enjoyed a week driving around the North Lakes, and was pleasantly surprised at how capable it was on those roads, both in the dry and the wet.

What sets the GRY and RGB apart are their respective kerb weights (1,280kg vs 935kg respectively). The difference is instantly noticeable, and also the electric power steering of the GRY is no match for the unassisted steering (feel) of the Lotus.
The GRY has to be one of the fastest cars in the world in the wet 😍🏎

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lots of great conversation in this thread! Love it. As I mentioned before, and has been reiterated here by many, I think the touring setup is going to be more than adequate for the majority of us who are thinking about Emira as a stunning daily that can stretch its muscles on weekends either at the track or on the twisties. I know I don’t have enough in me to reach the limits of this suspension. I think it Will be just the right balance to let you experience good feedback without compromising civility when you want it. The comments about contributions from tires are also spot on. I’m going with the Goodyears. Fun to be talking about these substantive elements of the owner experience.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes but was that sport or tour
Lots of great conversation in this thread! Love it. As I mentioned before, and has been reiterated here by many, I think the touring setup is going to be more than adequate for the majority of us who are thinking about Emira as a stunning daily that can stretch its muscles on weekends either at the track or on the twisties. I know I don’t have enough in me to reach the limits of this suspension. I think it Will be just the right balance to let you experience good feedback without compromising civility when you want it. The comments about contributions from tires are also spot on. I’m going with the Goodyears. Fun to be talking about these substantive elements of the owner experience.
I know I -should- spec a touring.

I just am not sure I can.

I just seems wrong.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes but was that sport or tour
The Top Gear Evora review is an early Series 1 NA car, so equivalent to Touring in the Emira. It's worth another watch to look at the handling and (fairly limited) body roll on track (eg at 1:05) - this early variant is only 280bhp:

Edit: I'd forgotten a couple of those quotes "it's the only car I've ever driven which is a killer attack dog and an old sofa" and "that makes it perfect for the Saga-lout".

Last edited: