It's been a long time since a sports car...

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So since getting married 14 years ago, I opted for progressively more and more "family" oriented choices -- no, never a minivan!

Before getting married I was a pretty avid autocrosser, and had an E46 M3 and two Mazda RX-8s. The M3 was great, all around sleeper, was powerful (for its time), and tracked reasonably well. The RX-8, despite how unreliable it was, was the most fun car I'd ever owned.

I came to this forum initially because I was going back to my roots -- getting an M3 and checking out the Emira, still holding on to some semblance of "practicality". It would have been a great car. However with a new car that we inherited coming into the house, my wife gave me the nod and told me to be impractical.

So I put a deposit down on a 6MT Magma Red Emira yesterday. Granted, I am a year away from getting it -- but I'm okay with that. I have waited a long time for a fun car, and a car that was lightweight, nimble and fun to drive like my RX-8 was. The M3 would have been fun but weighing so much more, it would never have the nimbleness this does. I could have opted for a Cayman GT or something, but I hate the look of them and before I got married I always told my wife, my dream car (at the time) was an Elise, since it was probably something I could afford in my lifetime.

Thankfully career has worked out okay enough I can go beyond the Elise price point, and I'm excited to be joining the Emira club with many of you.

We are similar. I also said hell no to a minivan (no offense to those that own one!). What are your plans for the Emira? Autocross, Daily, Weekend?

We are similar. I also said hell no to a minivan (no offense to those that own one!). What are your plans for the Emira? Autocross, Daily, Weekend?
Daily as much as I can -- I work from home so I'll enjoy it every moment that I get out!

Will autocross it as well, even though I went for touring since I do want to try to live with it daily.

Hi Shyatic, very nice to meet you here. When I read that you had an E46 M3, the first thing that popped into my head was NFS 9 which I played a lot when I was a kid.:giggle:
6 MT is a nice choice, but I chose the M139 i4 version due to the huge price difference in Chinese market (6MT in China costs extra $38500 us dollars due to heavy tax).
Anyway, we all have to wait , my car will be arranged on the proruction line in 2024.🍉

I had an RX-8 and I agree, it was a lot of fun to drive. I loved the driving position, the shifter was excellent, and I liked the dash. I had reliability issues with mine too; mostly coil packs going bad.

Welcome to the long wait for an Emira. I think it's going to be worth it though.

So since getting married 14 years ago, I opted for progressively more and more "family" oriented choices -- no, never a minivan!

Before getting married I was a pretty avid autocrosser, and had an E46 M3 and two Mazda RX-8s. The M3 was great, all around sleeper, was powerful (for its time), and tracked reasonably well. The RX-8, despite how unreliable it was, was the most fun car I'd ever owned.

I came to this forum initially because I was going back to my roots -- getting an M3 and checking out the Emira, still holding on to some semblance of "practicality". It would have been a great car. However with a new car that we inherited coming into the house, my wife gave me the nod and told me to be impractical.

So I put a deposit down on a 6MT Magma Red Emira yesterday. Granted, I am a year away from getting it -- but I'm okay with that. I have waited a long time for a fun car, and a car that was lightweight, nimble and fun to drive like my RX-8 was. The M3 would have been fun but weighing so much more, it would never have the nimbleness this does. I could have opted for a Cayman GT or something, but I hate the look of them and before I got married I always told my wife, my dream car (at the time) was an Elise, since it was probably something I could afford in my lifetime.

Thankfully career has worked out okay enough I can go beyond the Elise price point, and I'm excited to be joining the Emira club with many of you.

Congrats on the order @Shyatic and welcome from Austin!

Welcome @Shyatic and happy to have you here!! Love your story, so happy for you, and I can't wait myself either!! Really curious how much better handling than my S2000 it could be?! 🤠

Congrats on the order @Shyatic and welcome from Austin!
Heya,

Welcome to the community!
I am currently living in the Lake Tahoe area, but grew up in Texas, including college in Austin.
I am embarrassed to say, but did have a Honda minivan for a few months when my kids were young.
Somewhat luckily that my wife totaled it trying to swat at a bee in the car.
I did not allow the wife to buy another minivan with the replacement insurance money and went SUV. 😀