It's been a long time since a sports car...

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So since getting married 14 years ago, I opted for progressively more and more "family" oriented choices -- no, never a minivan!

Before getting married I was a pretty avid autocrosser, and had an E46 M3 and two Mazda RX-8s. The M3 was great, all around sleeper, was powerful (for its time), and tracked reasonably well. The RX-8, despite how unreliable it was, was the most fun car I'd ever owned.

I came to this forum initially because I was going back to my roots -- getting an M3 and checking out the Emira, still holding on to some semblance of "practicality". It would have been a great car. However with a new car that we inherited coming into the house, my wife gave me the nod and told me to be impractical.

So I put a deposit down on a 6MT Magma Red Emira yesterday. Granted, I am a year away from getting it -- but I'm okay with that. I have waited a long time for a fun car, and a car that was lightweight, nimble and fun to drive like my RX-8 was. The M3 would have been fun but weighing so much more, it would never have the nimbleness this does. I could have opted for a Cayman GT or something, but I hate the look of them and before I got married I always told my wife, my dream car (at the time) was an Elise, since it was probably something I could afford in my lifetime.

Thankfully career has worked out okay enough I can go beyond the Elise price point, and I'm excited to be joining the Emira club with many of you.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
We are similar. I also said hell no to a minivan (no offense to those that own one!). What are your plans for the Emira? Autocross, Daily, Weekend?

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We are similar. I also said hell no to a minivan (no offense to those that own one!). What are your plans for the Emira? Autocross, Daily, Weekend?
Daily as much as I can -- I work from home so I'll enjoy it every moment that I get out!

Will autocross it as well, even though I went for touring since I do want to try to live with it daily.

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi Shyatic, very nice to meet you here. When I read that you had an E46 M3, the first thing that popped into my head was NFS 9 which I played a lot when I was a kid.:giggle:
6 MT is a nice choice, but I chose the M139 i4 version due to the huge price difference in Chinese market (6MT in China costs extra $38500 us dollars due to heavy tax).
Anyway, we all have to wait , my car will be arranged on the proruction line in 2024.🍉

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I had an RX-8 and I agree, it was a lot of fun to drive. I loved the driving position, the shifter was excellent, and I liked the dash. I had reliability issues with mine too; mostly coil packs going bad.

Welcome to the long wait for an Emira. I think it's going to be worth it though.

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So since getting married 14 years ago, I opted for progressively more and more "family" oriented choices -- no, never a minivan!

Before getting married I was a pretty avid autocrosser, and had an E46 M3 and two Mazda RX-8s. The M3 was great, all around sleeper, was powerful (for its time), and tracked reasonably well. The RX-8, despite how unreliable it was, was the most fun car I'd ever owned.

I came to this forum initially because I was going back to my roots -- getting an M3 and checking out the Emira, still holding on to some semblance of "practicality". It would have been a great car. However with a new car that we inherited coming into the house, my wife gave me the nod and told me to be impractical.

So I put a deposit down on a 6MT Magma Red Emira yesterday. Granted, I am a year away from getting it -- but I'm okay with that. I have waited a long time for a fun car, and a car that was lightweight, nimble and fun to drive like my RX-8 was. The M3 would have been fun but weighing so much more, it would never have the nimbleness this does. I could have opted for a Cayman GT or something, but I hate the look of them and before I got married I always told my wife, my dream car (at the time) was an Elise, since it was probably something I could afford in my lifetime.

Thankfully career has worked out okay enough I can go beyond the Elise price point, and I'm excited to be joining the Emira club with many of you.

Congrats on the order @Shyatic and welcome from Austin!

Lolub

Reaction score
Welcome @Shyatic and happy to have you here!! Love your story, so happy for you, and I can't wait myself either!! Really curious how much better handling than my S2000 it could be?! 🤠

Nymare

Reaction score
Congrats on the order @Shyatic and welcome from Austin!
Heya,

Welcome to the community!
I am currently living in the Lake Tahoe area, but grew up in Texas, including college in Austin.
I am embarrassed to say, but did have a Honda minivan for a few months when my kids were young.
Somewhat luckily that my wife totaled it trying to swat at a bee in the car.
I did not allow the wife to buy another minivan with the replacement insurance money and went SUV. 😀