Hello! FE2 coming

OP
M

marc1adrien

Reaction score
I know this sounds mad but what about a bike trailer that you pull where the tow bar can be easily remove with nothing left visible? I saw an MX5 with one in a car park without the bikes and it had the adjustable height fitting in the trailer to fit the low tow bar. I think I’d prefer that than roof suckers or trying to get it behind the seats. I have the perfect solution for us and that’s go out in my wife’s SUV if we want to cycle, bring the dog, eat on the journey or drive somewhere with any form of mud. 😁👍🏻
Alas not viable with Carbon wheels, even if the car allows for a hitch connection (not sure whether the Emira does). These racks put the bike wheels close to the exhaust, and expensive carbon wheels can be melted as a result.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Alas not viable with Carbon wheels, even if the car allows for a hitch connection (not sure whether the Emira does). These racks put the bike wheels close to the exhaust, and expensive carbon wheels can be melted as a result.
That's one reason for the "uplift" on the 1-UP racks like I use, so they don't position the wheel trays near the exhaust outlet. Unfortunately I don't know if there's any good way to mount that sort of rack on a Lotus, I suspect not.

OP
M

marc1adrien

Reaction score
That's one reason for the "uplift" on the 1-UP racks like I use, so they don't position the wheel trays near the exhaust outlet. Unfortunately I don't know if there's any good way to mount that sort of rack on a Lotus, I suspect not.
Yup.

To be honest I kind of like the idea of the look of an Emira with a bike on a Seasucker. Sports car goes to support a, um, sport.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Cyclist here too, there aren’t any hitch solutions for the Emira honestly.

Taking off both wheels may work for smaller riders with small bikes and lots of seat clearance but not for anyone 6’ or above and certainly not on any gravel or mountain bike with a longer wheelbase.

I’ve thought this through quite a bit and taken measurements on the Emira.

Road bike: Seasucker Komodo on the glass alone. Doesn’t touch paint work and can ppf most areas around it. Down side is the cost, i already have one and not everyone wants to drop this much money on a bike rack but it exists.

Gravel bike/mountain bike: Here there’s an issue because the wheel base makes it not possible to use the MTB on the komodo. So i’ve bought a Seasucker Talon to mount partially on the glass and partially in the boot lid.

The issue is further complicated of you want ppf, you can’t apply suction cups to ppf so you’d need to leave part of the bootlid unprotected. If you’re worried about marring the paint with the suction cups like i am, you can simply lay down some carpet protector roll on the part of the boot lid and then suction cup down — works perfectly for that — but it’s a 1 time use — it’s sacrificial. Technically the ppf will work but gets ruined. You can think of the carpet protector as a temporary ppf. Car videographers use this stuff to mount their cameras to car bodywork with 6-12” suction cups — even seran wrap works in a pinch.

Additionally if your using a very slack mtb and you’re a tall rider you may even need to mount to the roof panel and boot lid, meaning no ppf to roof and boot.

Last edited:
OP
M

marc1adrien

Reaction score
Hey -- do any DC (or Alexandria!) folks have a PPF person they like, or is there any sort of group purchase? I have a referral but haven't called yet.