Is the I4 Turbo DCT really that bad?

308tr6

Active member
Joined
Feb 18, 2024
Messages
35
Media
2
Reaction score
31
I am back looking at Emiras after a bit of a detour. Having previously owned a V6 manual I was just not that happy with it. I found the first gear too low (I would often start in second if on a slight decline, or just baby it to avoid the upshift that would have to come immediately). The shifting seemed a bit laborious and notchy, which I guess some folks love.

So as I start to consider my next Emira, I see a lot of complaints on the DCT, but again is it a tad over-stated? I am coming off ownership of a McLaren Artura that shifted like an F1 car, and people complained that was too slow also. So....ya know nothing is perfect.

Thoughts?
 
I might sell mine. Its Hethel with black pack at 2k miles. No issues at all. Nust dont drive it that much
I appreciate that, but I have a very specific color in mind. I do like the yellow, but I am kinda tracking on the Purple Haze, though it is a bit of a look at me color. When I was about 10 my fastest hot wheels car was a Lambo looking thing and it was purple. And, yes I have yet to grow up!
 
22082.webp

These are the three new updates that showed up for my car - will get it back soon and report how the dct feels, previously it was up to date as of June 2026
 
BTW, the CPC update is probably to counter the progress being made on the CPC crack attempts. Kidding, kind of...
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Kaz
I am back looking at Emiras after a bit of a detour. Having previously owned a V6 manual I was just not that happy with it. I found the first gear too low (I would often start in second if on a slight decline, or just baby it to avoid the upshift that would have to come immediately). The shifting seemed a bit laborious and notchy, which I guess some folks love.

So as I start to consider my next Emira, I see a lot of complaints on the DCT, but again is it a tad over-stated? I am coming off ownership of a McLaren Artura that shifted like an F1 car, and people complained that was too slow also. So....ya know nothing is perfect.

Thoughts?
What made you leave the artura? I want to trade my i4 emira for one but the online reliability complaints scare me.
 
The Artura was awesome and I did have initial problems that required several dealership visits that were all on their dime for transport, but Mclaren treated me perfectly. But, frankly they are a finicky car, always get little pop up messages, mostly of which go away, but being many miles from a dealership it was just sort of stressful. I was continually worried about being stranded and couldn't really enjoy the car like I would have preferred.

It is an amazing car, violently fast and in my opinion one of the most beautiful cars out there. If you are near a dealer I wouldn't hesitate. I think they have sorted most everything out now, but I am just not sure. Got the exotic supercar thing out of my system I guess. The hybrid thing is very cool, but seems to need a bit more maturation.

If you're dating a super model ya probably need to expect some drama...
 
Last edited:
The Artura was awesome and I did have initial problems that required several dealership visits that were all on their dime for transport, but Mclaren treated me perfectly. But, frankly they are a finicky car, always get little pop up messages, mostly of which go away, but being many miles from a dealership it was just sort of stressful. I was continually worried about being stranded and couldn't really enjoy the car like I would have preferred.

It is an amazing car, violently fast and in my opinion one of the most beautiful cars out there. If you are near a dealer I wouldn't hesitate. I think they have sorted most everything out now, but I am just not sure. Got the exotic supercar thing out of my system I guess. The hybrid thing is very cool, but seems to need a bit more maturation.

If you're dating a super model ya probably need to expect some drama...
Sounds like owning a Lotus lol!

I love the gigantic Novitec wing for the hardtop version of the Artura...keeping an eye on used prices as potential next car

Screenshot 2026-09-28 at 11.58.22 AM.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top