eclat2emira's Dark Verdant Emira Journal

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
21 months after placing my deposit she is sitting in my driveway and I couldn't be happier.
20230409_095838.jpg

Full spec: Dark Verdant, tan Leather, silver alloys, yellow calipers, touring chassis, manual gearbox, delete privacy glass, alcantara steering wheel.

Below I'll take you through the collection and handover process, the 390-mile drive home and first impressions.

Collection & Handover
Security staff as cheery and helpful as ever (I've been to Hethel many times) then into the handover centre where we were greeted by Scott and were part of a group of 3 for handover that morning. I'd say being part of a group adds to the experience - comparing notes, specs and admiring each other's cars on unveiling. Coffee and a great talk by Scott on Lotus history - including some stories that were new to me, a great set-up for the rest of the experience.

The factory was a lot busier than last time I was there and there were dozens and dozens of Emiras outside. Great to see the build process again, including lots of useful insights from Scott. For me, this level of detail enhances my appreciation of the Emira and the design, styling and engineering behind it. Quite a range of ages among the factory staff which was good to see and there was decent percentage of female technicians, more than 10% I'd estimate.

Back to the handover area, Scott explaining what would come next then we were into the reveals. Mine was the 3rd of the three which built the anticipation nicely. despite seeing plenty of Emiras in the flesh before I was still taken aback how good it looked. The proportions, the styling, the colour combo, the size, the stance - all spot on.

20230406_112259.jpg

20230406_112044.jpg
IMG-20230406-WA0007.jpg

The journey home - getting acquainted
The drive was a mix of local roads for the first 60 miles or so, then dual carriageway and motorway. We both found the car extremely comfortable throughout the drive, climate control being easy to use and effective. The gearshift was better than any of the 2 Emiras I've previously driven - still with the precise, mechanical feel but with less resistance and notchiness, right in the sweet spot. Never even close to mis-slotting in any of the three planes which are nicely spaced - a joy to use. Scott mentioned that the gearbox can be a bit noisy in certain gears and I think in 2nd and possible 3d when pulling from lowish revs you do get a fairly unpleasant noise initially which then passes - mechanical but not in a good way. A slight irritant but no more than that.

The electronic parking brake works exactly as you'd expect, although I've still to decide if I want it on auto or not. Cabin noise, mainly engine and transmission, was a bit more than my 2009 4.7 Vantage, which I fully expected, even in Tour mode. This meant having the radio a little louder and talking a little louder but this is a mid-engined sports car not a front-engined GT - you want to hear the engine as part of the experience. The 4000rpm running in limit is still being observed (another 400 miles to go) so I am only just getting a suggestion of what it will sound like at higher rpm when the exhaust and supercharger will come to the fore - I am excited to hear it at full chat!

Handling
The steering has that uncanny telepathic feeling I remembered, it not only goes exactly where you want it to, it seems to carve out its own best line through any corner - remarkable feel and feedback. The steering wheel, alcantara as mentioned above, is superb - didn't feel remotely too chunky to me, although you do need to get used to the shape, which I did fairly quickly.

The legendary Lotus combination of compliant suspension and outstanding grip and handling is there in spades. The wide track must be a factor, as is decades of Elise, Exige and Evora development. It is hard to describe just how confidence inspiring this is, whether cruising or really pushing on on A or B roads. We've all read a lot on here about the merits of Sports and Touring chassis and heard a lot on YouTube reviews. For me, late 50s, who enjoys spirited driving (by no means an expert) occasional track days and a bit of Touring it is the perfect set-up. I have a daily driver 2004 911 996 generation Carrera 4S which has just had a full suspension rebuild including a set of KW V3 coilovers so I am not averse to modding cars (the rebuild was precipitated by nearing 160,000 miles and it being "done") but I would think very carefully about doing anything to the Emira's set-up, carefully honed over thousands of hours of testing and development in all conditions by a team of experts. I have no issues with the ride height and so far no speedbumps, short or long, full width or "pillow" type, have caused any graunching or grounding. I'm leaving well alone.

The Dark Verdant debate...
I absolutely love this colour - but not for the reasons I expected. In most light other than direct sunlight it looks black and what I did not expect was how much I loved that look. With the tan interior it looks classy, premium, mean, sporty, timeless and contemporary all at once - just phenomenal. when the sunlight hits it it morphs into something else altogether - complex, dynamic, playful and exciting. It's like having two different cars at once.

This car, in this colour has a presence that stops people in their tracks - it honestly looks more supercar than baby supercar. I think the width, the cab forward styling, the tapering canopy, the size of the rear haunches (which looks stunning in the wing mirrors - one of my favourite views!) all contribute to this. I really am quite taken aback by just how incredible this car looks. As many others have said, it looks like it cost 2-3 times more than it did and could easily be wearing a badge from any number of even more exotic car makers and no-one would doubt it for a second.

Sweet spot, perfect package.
As I said on here recently, while the Emira has many outstanding features, its biggest single strength is what it represents as a package, as a blend of carefully balanced attributes. That blend, that balance, is pretty much perfect for me. If that is also the blend that works for you you will love this car as much as I do.

If you have a few months, or even a year or more to wait, I'd very strongly recommend hangin' in there. There really is nothing else quite like it.

20220421_103654.jpg

I'll continue sharing my ownership experience on here, including any negatives, after the honeymoon period...

Last edited:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's a stunner, congratulations. I saw a DV/Tan Emira passing through Biggar last week and it looked really classy, and as you say, every inch the supercar.

My car is just run in now, and I can confirm it has a whole different wild child side to its character when you get to use the full rev band - you'll love it! If you fancy meeting up for a chat and maybe a run in the Borders sometime drop me a PM.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh man, I couldn't be more happy for you! Your spec is exactly like mine with the exception of I chose the leather steering wheel instead of Alcantara. I've always thought DV looked mysterious, and that first picture you posted certainly lives up to that impression. Really looking forward to your reports!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Fantastic to see you’ve finally collected it and great to read your initial impressions, thanks so much for taking the time to write them.

Wishing you miles of smiles!

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Envious of your 'short' 21 month waiting time....nice writeup too.

Drlonline

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great write up and beautiful car. Couple of questions for you:
* How is the quality of the tan leather seats? Any sags or wrinkles as others have reported? I realize you're still very early in your experience with the car, so keep us informed as you add more miles.
* During your factory tour, did you happen to see the production status board? It was noted in another post that it has been removed, so just wanted to confirm that. If it was there, do you recall any of the daily or to-date numbers being reported?

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's a stunner, congratulations. I saw a DV/Tan Emira passing through Biggar last week and it looked really classy, and as you say, every inch the supercar.

My car is just run in now, and I can confirm it has a whole different wild child side to its character when you get to use the full rev band - you'll love it! If you fancy meeting up for a chat and maybe a run in the Borders sometime drop me a PM.
Thank you, and very much looking forward to meeting you and comparing specs. Love the prospect of unleashing the wild child, great reason to get those other 400 running miles done ASAP...

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Oh man, I couldn't be more happy for you! Your spec is exactly like mine with the exception of I chose the leather steering wheel instead of Alcantara. I've always thought DV looked mysterious, and that first picture you posted certainly lives up to that impression. Really looking forward to your reports!
Thanks - and I remember we had almost identical specs! Hope that gives you a taster of what is down the road for you, you have a lot to look forward to.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Fantastic to see you’ve finally collected it and great to read your initial impressions, thanks so much for taking the time to write them.

Wishing you miles of smiles!
Thanks Tom, plenty more to come and will hopefully ease the pain of waiting a little for some - although there is always the chance I just make it more unbearable!

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Envious of your 'short' 21 month waiting time....nice writeup too.
Thanks, how much longer until you get yours? Do you have something to "distract" you in the meantime?

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Great write up and beautiful car. Couple of questions for you:
* How is the quality of the tan leather seats? Any sags or wrinkles as others have reported? I realize you're still very early in your experience with the car, so keep us informed as you add more miles.
* During your factory tour, did you happen to see the production status board? It was noted in another post that it has been removed, so just wanted to confirm that. If it was there, do you recall any of the daily or to-date numbers being reported?
Thanks, very happy with it.

The seats - quality seems excellent, leather feels thick but pliable and uniform, stitching very neat and uniform and the shape is smooth and symmetrical with no unsightly bumps. No sagging yet but I'm only 170lbs and only 600 miles in - I'll keep everyone posted on this aspect.

Status board - yes, there was a status board in the form of a large-scale digital projection onto the back wall. I think this said car 11 when we were in (about 10:00 on Thursday) and the target was 45.

Hope that helps?

Drlonline

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks, very happy with it.

The seats - quality seems excellent, leather feels thick but pliable and uniform, stitching very neat and uniform and the shape is smooth and symmetrical with no unsightly bumps. No sagging yet but I'm only 170lbs and only 600 miles in - I'll keep everyone posted on this aspect.

Status board - yes, there was a status board in the form of a large-scale digital projection onto the back wall. I think this said car 11 when we were in (about 10:00 on Thursday) and the target was 45.

Hope that helps?
@eclat2emira thank for the reply. Re: the status board target of 45, that sounds a lot higher in terms of daily production rate than I have previously heard. If they were around #11 at 10:00, there's no way they would hit 45 at the end of the day, unless perhaps they are now running a full second shift. I was told by my dealer recently that they were hitting around 15 per day, and hoping to increase that by a couple more. Are you sure about that number of 45?

Last edited:

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks, how much longer until you get yours? Do you have something to "distract" you in the meantime?
I've been assured by Lotus it is arriving 'soon'. :p

Soonest will be 29 months (would be Jan 2024) but expecting 36 months total wait.

Several other fun cars but doesnt help with the wait much.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great stuff!! Lovely spec. They all are, no matter what suspension or colour, to be fair.

Always nice to read something that sounds like I wrote it. I always hope people will be as excited as I am.

People who 'get' this car and what Lotus have achieved will be thrilled for years.
Like me, you will also find the car magically gets better and better. It is almost supernatural.

If somebody organises a group NC500 then I will pop up there.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Here are the two sweethearts meeting up for the first time, then nuzzling up together!

20230409_165451.jpg

20230409_172327.jpg

The story behind this is my mate Mark and I unknowingly both ordered Emiras after both having almost identical Aston Martin Vantages (4.7 V8) at the same time, living 100 yards apart!

Mark ordered his Emira quite a bit after I did but was offered a cancellation slot which he collected in January. He is to be commended for his lack of smugness through this period!

With Mark spending some of his time down south now, last weekend was the first chance we'd had to get together with our Emiras. Cue much car chat comparing specs and driving experiences then it was off for a 40 minute A and B road blast. As I'm still running in and we both had passengers it was not "full send" but even at 80 or 90% these cars are a hoot to drive. The steering feel, the engine noise, the poise and something I forgot to mention in my Hethel collection post - the view out - is incredible. Not only is it great to have the view that such a low scuttle and large panoramic wrap-round screen gives you, it makes it easier to really press on when you have such good visibility including, of course, the Becker points for placing the car and hitting apexes.

Some of the road surface was quite broken and the roads we chose had a large amount of undulations, some large, some small and repetitious. All of these were soaked up in a way that a stiffer chassis, no matter how good, would have struggled with (both cars on Touring chassis). Very little body roll but I am not leaning that hard on it yet, so I'm sure that will ramp up a bit but that's not a problem or entirely undesirable as long as it is limited and controlled, especially through "S" bends and changes of direction - will report back on that.

The only thing I need to add at this early stage and after a relatively short first "fun" drive is we both had huge smiles on our faces - that says it all.

20230409_165523.jpg
20230409_172345.jpg

20230409_172429.jpg

20230409_095746.jpg

Attachments

• 20230409_172429.jpg
    20230409_172429.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 33
OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I've been assured by Lotus it is arriving 'soon'. :p

Soonest will be 29 months (would be Jan 2024) but expecting 36 months total wait.

Several other fun cars but doesnt help with the wait much.

That's a bummer, all I can offer is it's well worth the wait, hang in there.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Great stuff!! Lovely spec. They all are, no matter what suspension or colour, to be fair.

Always nice to read something that sounds like I wrote it. I always hope people will be as excited as I am.

People who 'get' this car and what Lotus have achieved will be thrilled for years.
Like me, you will also find the car magically gets better and better. It is almost supernatural.

If somebody organises a group NC500 then I will pop up there.
Yes, very good point - there are no "bad" colours or specs. You have me excited in anticipation of this car getting even better!

NC500 would be a hoot, did it in the Vantage about 5 years ago. Emira would be even better. Some gratuitous Vantage NC 500 pics below.
Vantage on Harris.jpg
DSCF3275.JPG

DSCF5487.JPG
DSCF5503.JPG
DSCF5536.JPG

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
@eclat2emira thank for the reply. Re: the status board target of 45, that sounds a lot higher in terms of daily production rate than I have previously heard. If they were around #11 at 10:00, there's no way they would hit 45 at the end of the day, unless perhaps they are now running a full second shift. I was told by my dealer recently that they were hitting around 15 per day, and hoping to increase that by a couple more. Are you sure about that number of 45?
Yep, pretty sure about that - and the same as you I couldn't work out what period that amount was for - too many for a day, too few for a week?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you finally have your Emira! Congrats again and thanks for the detailed feedback. I sure wish I could do factory devliery! Sounds like a great experience.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Fantastic! Seeing that nose to nose shot made me realize something about DV compared to the lighter colors. The lighter colors emphasize the pinched waist and make the mid-section of the car look thinner. DV is dark enough that the black side skirt pretty much looks like it's part of the main body, so the DV car looks thicker in the mid section, more planted to the ground visually.

Great shots.... more please!