Intermittent failure to start

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Coming up on 500 miles, two weeks after taking delivery. One issue I've had multiple times is a failure to start - the symptoms are a bit strange.

I haven't been able to figure out a complete reproduction scenario yet, but what happens intermittently is that I will go to unlock the car, get in sit down seat belt on, and hit the start button in the car - only nothing happens. The infotainment is somewhat on, but the car doesn't start. It feels very similar to what happens when the battery is dead.

However, if I get out of the car, lock it - wait a few seconds, unlock and then repeat the same procedure - the car starts up just fine.

It's happened 3 times so far, enough that I feel like a have a common "fix" identified.

1) Is anyone else experiencing this?

2) I wonder if it's some kind of issue where the car doesn't see the key as being inside the car somehow?

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Coming up on 500 miles, two weeks after taking delivery. One issue I've had multiple times is a failure to start - the symptoms are a bit strange.

I haven't been able to figure out a complete reproduction scenario yet, but what happens intermittently is that I will go to unlock the car, get in sit down seat belt on, and hit the start button in the car - only nothing happens. The infotainment is somewhat on, but the car doesn't start. It feels very similar to what happens when the battery is dead.

However, if I get out of the car, lock it - wait a few seconds, unlock and then repeat the same procedure - the car starts up just fine.

It's happened 3 times so far, enough that I feel like a have a common "fix" identified.

2) I wonder if it's some kind of issue where the car doesn't see the key as being inside the car somehow?
What you’ve described sounds like something others have experienced. I know several others on this forum have had engine cold start problems. (Stalls on first attempt, then starts on second try.) There are about a half dozen threads devoted to this topic. Some have had success with the latest firmware update, but others have still reported stalling, even with the latest software. Do a forum search for the word “start”, and tick the box ‘Search titles only’.

This is alarming. I was hoping the cold start problem would have been ironed out in North American cars, as dealers supposedly updated all cars with the latest software before deliveries. Maybe check with your dealer if your car really has the latest firmware. I believe the start problem was supposedly solved with the January version. Hopefully you’ll get some more insight into your own engine start problem by reading the other threads.

Edit: Reading your description again, your engine doesn’t even attempt to crank on first button press. Don’t think I’ve heard anyone else describe that before. Sounds like an electrical issue in the car, or maybe the fob. Maybe replace the battery in your fob, it might be running low? But check those threads anyway and see what others have to say. Either way, it’s something you should have your dealer check out. Wish you the best of luck on chasing down the cause.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A few possibilities. Check the connectors on the battery, both negative and positive terminals to make sure they're properly seated and connected. Check the battery voltage (dealer should be able to do this). Check the batteries on the key fobs.

Last edited:

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

It looks exactly what many of us experienced before.

In a software update back in Sept/Oct they screwed up and many of us experienced this intermittent start issue. In my particular case, started the issue back in November , randomly, and was on/off until they installed the software patch of Jan 23. Has been back to normal since then.

Before going crazy about it, I would call your dealer and make sure your vehicle has implemented the Jan 23 software update which specifically solves this software glitch

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Def agree with check the battery and key fob batteries first.

In my previous lotuses, all of them had finicky alarm mobilizers. I learned that I needed to do a “handshake” with the car to get it to start strong. When approaching the car to unlock, I always hit the unlock button twice or 3 times to unlock both doors.(doing it 2x-3x ensured the immobilizer was 100% of). I would then quickly clutch in, wait 2 seconds for the needle on the gauges to do their sweep and then start the car.

s2kmunpo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Adding to this thread as I just experienced this issue as well. I have about 100 miles on the car. Getting out, locking/unlocking seemed to fix the issue.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For this problem was your guys cars already locked, unlocked car then you encountered it or just unlocked already then got in and no start? Also was the key in your pocket or set it on console? (or didnt matter)

s2kmunpo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For this problem was your guys cars already locked, unlocked car then you encountered it or just unlocked already then got in and no start?
Mine was locked while I was in the store for about 10 mins. Then just unlocked and tried to start and nothing but a click sound.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Adding to this thread as I just experienced this issue as well. I have about 100 miles on the car. Getting out, locking/unlocking seemed to fix the issue.
When I picked up my car one of the first things I was told that occasionally the car may not start.
Told to put the key fob in the center console ( the one between the seats)
I never experienced this until yesterday.
I have 500 plus miles Did what they told me car started immediately.
If I remember correctly sometime the fob may not communicate with ignition
But placing it in center compartment will do the trick. Not sure the exact reason how this works but it does
Hope this helps.
I would talk to your dealership about this. They can give you more details

s2kmunpo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I picked up my car one of the first things I was told that occasionally the car may not start.
Told to put the key fob in the center console ( the one between the seats)
I never experienced this until yesterday.
I have 500 plus miles Did what they told me car started immediately.
If I remember correctly sometime the fob may not communicate with ignition
But placing it in center compartment will do the trick. Not sure the exact reason how this works but it does
Hope this helps.
I would talk to your dealership about this. They can give you more details
Interesting. Thanks for the info! I'll give that a try the next time it happens.

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine was locked while I was in the store for about 10 mins. Then just unlocked and tried to start and nothing but a click sound.
This is exactly what happens to me. I've tried putting the fob in the center console section where the fob is supposed to go, and that didn't change anything. Definitely feels like something associated with the immobilizer / key recognition.

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There is an unintentionally hilarious notion picturing this interaction in my head:

"Hey here's the keys to your new car. Go have fun! Oh right, one small thing... The car may occasionally not start. No take backs!"

Or

"Here's the keys to your new car!"
Monkeys paw curls a finger - you have an Emira delivered now, but doesn't mean you can start it.

🤣

Daz205

Reaction score
Tbf had this since day 1 (may 23) the fob opens car , get in car, go to start car nothing or no key in car warning - ignition won’t work
Had various updates and new fob battery - last Feb 24
Still happens
But workaround is
Unlock multiple times when approaching until wing mirrors fold out etc
If happens in car press un lock again (maybe a few times )
Car will respond when she wants

I tried the centre armrest thing many times and not as successful as above workaround - also quite stressful when car won’t fire ignition while doing the “if key not recognised”emergency procedure while 400 miles from home

last result disconnect battery 10-20 min then try again

She may be difficult but (so far - imo/ime) she won’t strand you

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Tbf had this since day 1 (may 23) the fob opens car , get in car, go to start car nothing or no key in car warning - ignition won’t work
Had various updates and new fob battery - last Feb 24
Still happens
But workaround is
Unlock multiple times when approaching until wing mirrors fold out etc
If happens in car press un lock again (maybe a few times )
Car will respond when she wants

I tried the centre armrest thing many times and not as successful as above workaround - also quite stressful when car won’t fire ignition while doing the “if key not recognised”emergency procedure while 400 miles from home

last result disconnect battery 10-20 min then try again

She may be difficult but (so far - imo/ime) she won’t strand you
Thanks for chiming in @Daz205. Do you know if Lotus HQ is aware of this particular no-crank, no-start scenario? This sounds like a sensor, or software, sensitivity problem that could be fixed if it’s brought to Lotus’ attention. Have you reported this to Lotus customer care, or do you know of others who have brought this to Lotus’ attention?

If enough NA customers report this issue to their dealers, it could prompt Lotus to at least investigate the problem, and if necessary, start working on a software fix (the squeaky wheel gets the grease).

The other seeming different problem that @Bilbao-Emira and others have reported of Emira cold stalling on first button press / starting on second press, garnered enough attention from Lotus for them to actively try fixing it in software updates.

If anyone experiences this, bring it up with your dealer. Don’t just live with it. Lotus should be made aware of your intermittent no-crank, no-start problem.

Last edited:

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for chiming in @Daz205. Do you know if Lotus HQ is aware of this particular no-crank, no-start scenario? This sounds like a sensor, or software, sensitivity problem that could be fixed if it’s brought to Lotus’ attention. Have you reported this to Lotus customer care, or do you know of others who have brought this to Lotus’ attention?

If enough NA customers report this issue to their dealers, it could prompt Lotus to at least investigate the problem, and if necessary, start working on a software fix (the squeaky wheel gets the grease).

The other seeming different problem that @Bilbao-Emira and others have reported of Emira cold stalling on first button press / starting on second press, garnered enough attention from Lotus for them to actively try fixing it in software updates.

If anyone experiences this, bring it up with your dealer. Don’t just live with it. Lotus should be made aware of your intermittent no-crank, no-start problem.
Nope, as far as I understand the stalling some experience, mostly in Australia has not been fixed yet. The intermittent not starting at all (at least in my case so far) has been fixed by the Jan 23 software update
As a reference, we discussed this issue in our cars here
New software update released - has anyone had it yet?
We were so pissed off at that time, that. we couldn´t believe Lotus took 4 months to solve a software issue that did not exist before, but they finally solved it.

Daz205

Reaction score
For ref I’ve had the software update - still the same imo it’s either some of the tech not booting in sequence causing the ecu to hang , a loose antenna cable or another symptom of battery issues (car battery not the fob battery that’s already been replaced )

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just happened again. Trying to collect some data:

For those of you with this happening, do you guys have your phones connected to Android auto?

Edit: for reference I clicked unlock on the fob multiple times approaching the car and multiple times while I was in the car and it didn't start.

The only thing that still fixed the issue is getting out with the key, locking the car, unlocking, and trying again.

Daz205

Reaction score
That used to work before the Jan/feb update
Ie lock , wait for fans , elec , radio, etc , to shut down - then unlock and start
My experience since the Jan update (which is purely my experience in my car owned since April 2023, serviced/updated Feb 2024)
Is the car doesn’t seem to connect/recognise the key - I have a feeling this could be due to a poor connection to the aerial or corrosion around a loom connector
🤷‍♂️
Please note above is pure speculation from owning and daily driving the car and other owners experiences/recollections may differ