New software update released - has anyone had it yet?

Mh59

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m waiting for the update following the last update in December which took out my Sat Nav / warning light re SOS calling not available and Engine Mgmt light permanently on (again).

Seems whatever version was applied in December had a negative effect on the internal SIM used for SOS / Navigation.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m waiting for the update following the last update in December which took out my Sat Nav / warning light re SOS calling not available and Engine Mgmt light permanently on (again).

Seems whatever version was applied in December had a negative effect on the internal SIM used for SOS / Navigation.
Keep us posted if this newest update fixes or creates new problems

Reactions: Fil

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just had the update.

In my case, the problem was the intermittent start since the October software update.

The patch they installed today is exclusively referring to the Traction management. it looks like this Traction management software includes the management of the inmobiliser, which supposedly is the glitch we had after October.
it was literally a 15 mins download.
Hope that it is fixed, and I will miss the drama about whether today is going to start or go for a coffee!

Biggles of Norwich

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If that's just the auto hold after the update that doesn't sound right. The auto hold, as far as I'm aware, you can't turn off and should just engage for a couple of seconds and when the car senses movement, or the clutch is out a certain amount or something then it automatically disengages. What you're describing sounds like the automatically apply parking brake option has been turned on which IS a selectable option in the settings menu but different from the auto hold. The full parking brake option you have to use a lot more revs and it clunks a bit when it disengages, the hill hold should be seamless. After my car had an update the auto parking brake option turned itself on again and I had to go back and turn it off. This doesn't affect the automatic hill hold assist.

If it is just the hill hold assist that now functions the same as the parking brake then that's really not good!
The auto parking brake only works when you turn the engine off, at least that's what it does in my V6 manual, and from what I recall the User Handbook says the same.
Hill start assist only works when the car is in (1st?) gear and your feet are on the clutch and brake, then when you take your foot off the brake you have 2 seconds to pull away before the brakes are released.
I tried it with brake and clutch depressed and the car in neutral as an experiment to see if the hill start assist was working - the car slipped backwards but doesn't if the car is in 1st gear.
If you have the auto parking brake enabled, then it seems to be impossible to switch the parking brake off without starting the engine. Usually not an issue, but if you want to just push the car forward a couple of feet, or if the car won't start and it is blocking your other car in........

Whitey

Reaction score
The auto parking brake only works when you turn the engine off, at least that's what it does in my V6 manual, and from what I recall the User Handbook says the same.
Hill start assist only works when the car is in (1st?) gear and your feet are on the clutch and brake, then when you take your foot off the brake you have 2 seconds to pull away before the brakes are released.
I tried it with brake and clutch depressed and the car in neutral as an experiment to see if the hill start assist was working - the car slipped backwards but doesn't if the car is in 1st gear.
If you have the auto parking brake enabled, then it seems to be impossible to switch the parking brake off without starting the engine. Usually not an issue, but if you want to just push the car forward a couple of feet, or if the car won't start and it is blocking your other car in........
And that is why I do not have the auto parking brake enabled, so that I can manually push the car in the garage.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And that is why I do not have the auto parking brake enabled, so that I can manually push the car in the garage.
Wait... this could be a breakthrough moment for the North American folks waiting CARB certification --- a software update to disable the parking brakes and also prevent the engine from starting for zero emissions ! A true MANUAL car...

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you want to move the car around without starting the engine but don’t want to disable the auto parking brake, just hold the ignition button down for 5-10 seconds without your foot on the brake to turn on the ignition without starting the engine and you can turn off the parking brake.

nimbusblack

Reaction score
my auto-hold assist from the factory was awful, would take 3-5 seconds to release on even the slightest gradient, since then ive had maybe 3 software updates just before Xmas (car was in to sort the air-con issue) and the car is working perfectly so im reluctant to go in for this update unless its safety related.

Also has anyone noticed the auto-hold doesnt come on if you're quite light footed with the brake when pulling up to stationary, only seems to come on if you give the brake a firm push so you can almost regulate if it comes on at all.

Fil

Reaction score
Agree. Lotus should give owners some sort of report of what’s been done. (Replaced, adjusted or updated). I’m finding it very difficult for anyone (dealer or Factory) to give any details of anything. Very strange.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agree. Lotus should give owners some sort of report of what’s been done. (Replaced, adjusted or updated). I’m finding it very difficult for anyone (dealer or Factory) to give any details of anything. Very strange.
You mean like a modern company? One that develops and maintains software using a coherent, rigorous SDLC process and reports appropriately to stakeholders (including customers) via a changelog? :unsure:

Seems like a real stretch to expect anything resembling international standards of professionalism from this company after what we've seen the last 3 years. :poop:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm sure there's an internal changelog but Lotus chose not to publish it. In fairness to Lotus, I've seen no changelogs from any car manufacturer.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm sure there's an internal changelog but Lotus chose not to publish it. In fairness to Lotus, I've seen no changelogs from any car manufacturer.
BMW publishes one publicly for iDrive updates (customer flash with USB), and another for ECM updates which the dealers can access.

When I managed a dealer service center for Subaru, our factory scan tool that applied the updates listed the changes being applied directly on the screen, and the flash version modules that plugged into the tool came with a paper changelog. That was ~20 years ago!

Last edited:

Stiffarm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I’ll see what I find with it. After all, since the update I’ve only driven the car home from the dealer!

As I said, I never apply the park brake on a slope anyway and still manage to move off without rolling backwards. It’s not that hard.
I guess it could be handy on a really steep slope, but I’d prefer it not to come on unless in that situation.

Regardless, I think it would be helpful if Lotus sent an email or provided something that said

”Your car has just been updated with the latest software. Here’s what has been added / altered / rectified….”

How hard would that be? Instead we have to drive around and find this stuff out ourselves.
Mine totally engaged and I could not move away as the clutch was fighting the engine. Had to motion the car behind me to go around and then roll downhill to to a flat area to turn around. Unacceptable.

gdotp

Reaction score
BMW publishes one publicly for iDrive updates (customer flash with USB), and another for ECM updates which the dealers can access.

When I managed a dealer service center for Subaru, our factory scan tool that applied the updates listed the changes being applied directly on the screen, and the flash version modules that plugged into the tool came with a paper changelog. That was ~20 years ago!
BMW don’t publish the full change log. They only show the things they want to show you. One recent update they did changed the way my wife’s EV charged by changing the timeout period but it was not listed.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
BMW don’t publish the full change log. They only show the things they want to show you. One recent update they did changed the way my wife’s EV charged by changing the timeout period but it was not listed.
That sort of stuff happens with all the OEMs. But still, a changelog does exist even if it isn't comprehensive. I'd rather some comms, than a totally opaque process.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That sort of stuff happens with all the OEMs. But still, a changelog does exist even if it isn't comprehensive. I'd rather some comms, than a totally opaque process.
Feels somehow relevant - xkcd: Git Commit

(doesn't even feel like we get "misc bugfixes" level of detail TBH 😅 )