Intermittent failure to start

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It’s under warranty. They are handling it. As best they can. The have to consult lotus USA before they can do anything to the cars.
I’m not really concerned at this point.
Honestly I expected some initial problems. They know me well enough and that I don’t nag or call them.
They will get back to me when it’s sorted out. And I’m fine with that.
Lotus cars all models over the years have some issues. It’s a lotus thing.
If you’re a first time Lotus owner it can be very frustrating but it is what it is.
I’m sure dealerships all over the country will have customers that have some problems

I have flashbacks to the 3 months it took to get a clamshell for my Elise shipped. Ideally, I'd love for them to order parts while I keep my vehicle, but I guess I'd have to discuss that with them.

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
it's happening to cars on the other side of the pond too. The problem was first introduced by a software update months ago. Might have been present before that update, but that update started triggering it regularly.
I dont think the issue is entirely software related.

I have had 3 updates on mine and never had this issue.

There definitely more to it.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
it's happening to cars on the other side of the pond too. The problem was first introduced by a software update months ago. Might have been present before that update, but that update started triggering it regularly.
I agree, and as I have said before a few times from experience, in my personal case the intermittent start failure has not happened again so far since the specific software update of jan 24.

There might be other issues that can cause this problem, but I insist in checking through the dealer first that the software update/patch released in jan 24 has been done in all vehicles arriving in US/Canada, specially the ones that have been built before February 24, which clearly were shipped without that specific update.

At least, if you make sure that software update has been installed, you can start searching for other possible causes. And if its hasn´t , it's literally 10 mins update on the dealer, and then you take it from there.

As a reminder, most of us did not have for months the intermittent start issue, until back in Sept/October, on a regular update software; what did not happen before started happening, and after Lotus was aware they worked on fixing the software error that they created themselves (by mistake, of course) and we waited patiently (or not) for 4 months until the supposedly final and specific update was released in January.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I agree, and as I have said before a few times from experience, in my personal case the intermittent start failure has not happened again so far since the specific software update of jan 24.

There might be other issues that can cause this problem, but I insist in checking through the dealer first that the software update/patch released in jan 24 has been done in all vehicles arriving in US/Canada, specially the ones that have been built before February 24, which clearly were shipped without that specific update.

At least, if you make sure that software update has been installed, you can start searching for other possible causes. And if its hasn´t , it's literally 10 mins update on the dealer, and then you take it from there.

As a reminder, most of us did not have for months the intermittent start issue, until back in Sept/October, on a regular update software; what did not happen before started happening, and after Lotus was aware they worked on fixing the software error that they created themselves (by mistake, of course) and we waited patiently (or not) for 4 months until the supposedly final and specific update was released in January.
Thanks for the information
My car did have the latest software update

danmessy

Reaction score
Mine has been fine untill two weeks ago when I got it back from the 10k service. I was told a few software updates had been applied and the next day it wouldn't start. It's got to go back for a bit more work in a fortnight, hopefully they can check they have the correct updates installed and cure this issue.
I have never ever experienced this issue until a few days ago, the first time being after my first service (told all software updated). Had the wiper motor recall done too at the time.

Car booted perfectly at dealer picking up from service, stopped for 5 mins at a shop on the way home, first time I've ever had the no-engine response, just lights. I do have the cold start stalling issue (no fix available yet apparently).

The no engine response start has repeated 4-5 times in the past 5-6 days. Never had it before service. Surely that indicates some type of software issue.

Edit- I'll add, my touchy auto brake hold (sticky / or not working smoothly on all occasions) appears to be improved / fixed as far as I could tell on my limited runs .. related perhaps

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have never ever experienced this issue until a few days ago, the first time being after my first service (told all software updated). Had the wiper motor recall done too at the time.

Car booted perfectly at dealer picking up from service, stopped for 5 mins at a shop on the way home, first time I've ever had the no-engine response, just lights. I do have the cold start stalling issue (no fix available yet apparently).

The no engine response start has repeated 4-5 times in the past 5-6 days. Never had it before service. Surely that indicates some type of software issue.

Edit- I'll add, my touchy auto brake hold (sticky / or not working smoothly on all occasions) appears to be improved / fixed as far as I could tell on my limited runs .. related perhaps
Could it be that they updated the wrong software update (the one from Sept/Oct 23) which causes this problem, instead of the Jan 24 version which supposedly fixes the previous, and it´s an specific update only for this issue?

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could it be that they updated the wrong software update (the one from Sept/Oct 23) which causes this problem, instead of the Jan 24 version which supposedly fixes the previous, and it´s an specific update only for this issue?
for whats it worth, I am now over a year in and initially had management lights on etc, plus starting issues, had the software updates as you all have that sort of eliminated the problem short term. My car was a home delivery with a full tank of petrol? I am convinced the issues experienced on new cars are fuel related. Once I got through the first tank of fuel and filled with Esso 99 Ron then on I've not had a single starting issue or engine management light and I'm an early delivery car. Maybe complete coincidence but I think the majority of owners here are taking their cars out for a relatively short stop start run, as I do with minimal miles between trips. I also believe it needs to be driven "with vigour" like you wanted to steal to ensure the engine once worn in can do what it says on the tin.

charleswhalley

Reaction score
Coming up on 500 miles, two weeks after taking delivery. One issue I've had multiple times is a failure to start - the symptoms are a bit strange.

I haven't been able to figure out a complete reproduction scenario yet, but what happens intermittently is that I will go to unlock the car, get in sit down seat belt on, and hit the start button in the car - only nothing happens. The infotainment is somewhat on, but the car doesn't start. It feels very similar to what happens when the battery is dead.

However, if I get out of the car, lock it - wait a few seconds, unlock and then repeat the same procedure - the car starts up just fine.

It's happened 3 times so far, enough that I feel like a have a common "fix" identified.

1) Is anyone else experiencing this?

2) I wonder if it's some kind of issue where the car doesn't see the key as being inside the car somehow?
Have had this just once! Got out locked unlocked got in - all ok. But am in the process of Lotus hopefully replacing my ECU OR M as other unexplained warning lights are present!!

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I plan on collecting videos, but I've been refining the process of debugging it still.

New theory: the infotainment is just slow. If others would also like to gather evidence:

1) when cold starting the car, it takes the infotainment quote a bit of time to complete it's full "boot"

2) there will be an error message that eventually displays on the screen to the effect of "trying to connect to the internet, but failed".

3) once that error message is displayed, you can start the car

I've had wifi and other connect settings turned off for a while, and that has worked so far. Collecting more samples to ensure this is correct, so anyone else feel free to add their data.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I plan on collecting videos, but I've been refining the process of debugging it still.

New theory: the infotainment is just slow. If others would also like to gather evidence:

1) when cold starting the car, it takes the infotainment quote a bit of time to complete it's full "boot"

2) there will be an error message that eventually displays on the screen to the effect of "trying to connect to the internet, but failed".

3) once that error message is displayed, you can start the car

I've had wifi and other connect settings turned off for a while, and that has worked so far. Collecting more samples to ensure this is correct, so anyone else feel free to add their data.
It's the other way around for me. Cold starts almost never end up in this bug. It's triggered more often after parking for 1-2 hours. In this case the infotainment is still somewhat ready and immediately available when opening the door instead of the usual loading delay

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
intense flashbacks to the power optimization chaos of the 2005-2015 era on PC/laptop and server hardware.
Don't worry, Dell and Windows together still didn't manage to get this working :LOL: Dell XPS regularly burned my fingers because it decided to wake up and go full heater mode in my laptop bag. Fresh install, newest drivers, and all. Complete bonkers.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Are we seeing something like this on the dash for a split second when starting the car?
image2.png

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So the issue might be because everything is fscked...?
Exactly. I'm pretty sure someone told it to "sudo make them a sandwich" right in the middle of getting fsck'd, and it responded by echoing a mem right into /sys/power/state and then rolled over and went to bed angry.

Bear Dalton

Reaction score
Coming up on 500 miles, two weeks after taking delivery. One issue I've had multiple times is a failure to start - the symptoms are a bit strange.

I haven't been able to figure out a complete reproduction scenario yet, but what happens intermittently is that I will go to unlock the car, get in sit down seat belt on, and hit the start button in the car - only nothing happens. The infotainment is somewhat on, but the car doesn't start. It feels very similar to what happens when the battery is dead.

However, if I get out of the car, lock it - wait a few seconds, unlock and then repeat the same procedure - the car starts up just fine.

It's happened 3 times so far, enough that I feel like a have a common "fix" identified.

1) Is anyone else experiencing this?

2) I wonder if it's some kind of issue where the car doesn't see the key as being inside the car somehow?
It is a passive theft deterrent system. If you take "too long" between unlocking and starting than it will neutralize the turnover ability. The time is about a minute. Even the Evora's were like this. It is a pet peeve of mine, but I've learned my way around it.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts