Intermittent failure to start

Daz205

Reaction score
Do you have the tracker fitted ? Mine does , can’t say if this makes a difference 🤷🏾‍♂️

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No tracker on mine

saknibs

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I always start Foot on brake, not in gear
FWIW my 2009 911 had an intermittent no start problem. I traced it to the clutch interlock switch. I bypassed the switch with a jumper and now (years later) it always starts. The Emira issue may be different, but if we can bypass the clutch switch it will eliminate one variable.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Clutch can’t be the reason - it has no interlock switch. Happily starts even in gear………... i heard.

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tried with holding the fob right next to the car - no dice.

However, one thing which I'm not sure is correlated is the radio. When it doesn't start, the radio is definitely not starting up.

More research will be required, so I'll try waiting before hitting the button until the radio turns on, if ever. Maybe the software is going slow for some reason?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

However, one thing which I'm not sure is correlated is the radio. When it doesn't start, the radio is definitely not starting up.

More research will be required, so I'll try waiting before hitting the button until the radio turns on, if ever. Maybe the software is going slow for some reason?
That honestly sounds like either a loose ground somewhere, battery cable connections, or the battery itself might have issues. When you open the car door, does the interior light come on?

If it was me, I'd starting looking for a loose ground connection somewhere. Start with the battery and check to make sure the ground cable is solidly connected. If it's like my Alfa, you have to press down on the connector until you hear a click. You have to press fairly hard. If you're not sure, release it, lift it up and reconnect it, making sure you have it solidly connected.

If that wasn't it, look in the engine compartment for the ground wires that would be connected to the frame, the firewall, engine block, or one of the ECU mounting bolts. Give them a wiggle to make sure they're solidly bolted down. If they move at all, tighten the connections.

This could be a software issue, but it's odd that the radio doesn't turn on either. Check the above simple stuff first, then go from there.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Control modules not coming online at the correct time, potentially from a software glitch

RO62GER

Reaction score
Mine has been fine untill two weeks ago when I got it back from the 10k service. I was told a few software updates had been applied and the next day it wouldn't start. It's got to go back for a bit more work in a fortnight, hopefully they can check they have the correct updates installed and cure this issue.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine has been fine untill two weeks ago when I got it back from the 10k service. I was told a few software updates had been applied and the next day it wouldn't start. It's got to go back for a bit more work in a fortnight, hopefully they can check they have the correct updates installed and cure this issue.
If I learned something from Lotus this issue is probably still not fixed in the latest revision and they are _still_ rolling out the updates, knowing damn well it's broken. Makes me wonder what they also changed in that version that makes it so important for them. Maybe CARB related?..

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect I have a fix, but more time is needed to understand of I'm just getting lucky or it works.

1) while you have the car on, disconnect / forget Android auto or apple car play.

2) in settings > connect, turn off WiFi.

3) then reset all Bluetooth connections.

4) turn off bluetooth

5) important, but don't repair your phone with the car.

So far, I've had 100% success starting since then. If anyone else wants to try following this and report their results please do.

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This also means I lose access to Android auto, and it is indeed some kind of software bug.

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This also means I lose access to Android auto, and it is indeed some kind of software bug.
Nice bug hunting. If others with this problem are able to reproduce your fix, you deserve a medal! Hoping others are able to confirm.

Is there any way to narrow down what the source of the problem could be, like is it either wifi, or Bluetooth, or is it the combination of both with a phone pairing, that is interfering with starting? After resetting Bluetooth, what if you turn on wifi and/or Bluetooth, but never pair a phone to the car?

Last edited:

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm impressed that you isolated this, and many will thank you if they can reproduce your result ... but if this actually true, I'm also horrified and dismayed that Bluetooth or WiFi would have any impact on communications that should be isolated on the CANBUS 🤨

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For what it’s worth. This may be and issue with I think it’s call the TCM or ECM module. The one behind the mirror
It can be responsible for a number of different problems.
WiFi Bluetooth sos show on car going into limp mode as well as car not starting.
My unit is being replaced in next few days. This what lotus has advised my dealership to do.
Hope this fixes the issues

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
From information I’m getting and what I was told it may be because the cars between shipping and standing for so long may have messed that unit up.
Supposedly this is happening with NA cars. Lotus are working on trying to actually solve it

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well... Bad news. Happened again. So that's not the solution I thought it was.

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For what it’s worth. This may be and issue with I think it’s call the TCM or ECM module. The one behind the mirror
It can be responsible for a number of different problems.
WiFi Bluetooth sos show on car going into limp mode as well as car not starting.
My unit is being replaced in next few days. This what lotus has advised my dealership to do.
Hope this fixes the issues
Interesting - I know you're at lotus of Dallas too, so if I call and mention this, is this something being handled under warranty? Do you know the turn around time on parts, because everyone else has been sharing some disconcerting news on repair availability.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Interesting - I know you're at lotus of Dallas too, so if I call and mention this, is this something being handled under warranty? Do you know the turn around time on parts, because everyone else has been sharing some disconcerting news on repair availability.
It’s under warranty. They are handling it. As best they can. The have to consult lotus USA before they can do anything to the cars.
I’m not really concerned at this point.
Honestly I expected some initial problems. They know me well enough and that I don’t nag or call them.
They will get back to me when it’s sorted out. And I’m fine with that.
Lotus cars all models over the years have some issues. It’s a lotus thing.
If you’re a first time Lotus owner it can be very frustrating but it is what it is.
I’m sure dealerships all over the country will have customers that have some problems

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts