• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

If Not The EMIRA .......... WHAT ? .... yes ok blasphemy perhaps

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If you’ve read my posts in this thread, you already know how I feel about the GT4. When Preuninger took over the GT division ahead of the 718 (982) release, he made sure the GT4 and Spyder were equals internally. That was not the case for the 981. If you can get one, get it.
I'd take the 981. Better sound, bit less composed, more of an occasion IMO. Wouldn't say no to 718 though

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'd take the 981. Better sound, bit less composed, more of an occasion IMO. Wouldn't say no to 718 though
The sound can be fixed with OAPs (if volume is the issue for you) or a full exhaust if you need to go that route. The rest of the car is substantially different from a mechanical perspective, although I would be hard pressed to upgrade from a 981 to a 982 for the money delta. If I was choosing one or the other, I wouldn’t and haven’t considered the 981. Not to mention that the 718 series is going to EV in 2024, so this is the last NA 718, should help the resale down the road. Just my 2 cents.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The sound can be fixed with OAPs (if volume is the issue for you) or a full exhaust if you need to go that route. The rest of the car is substantially different from a mechanical perspective, although I would be hard pressed to upgrade from a 981 to a 982 for the money delta. If I was choosing one or the other, I wouldn’t and haven’t considered the 981. Not to mention that the 718 series is going to EV in 2024, so this is the last NA 718, should help the resale down the road. Just my 2 cents.
Totally agree the 718 is great. But not worth another 25k to me. I know the sound can be fixed, but the 981 has the purer sound even after the 718 has had a full exhaust (another 6k). 981 will be a rarer car as well, only made for 2 years. Shouldn't be saying this. Everyone go buy the 718 🤣

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Totally agree the 718 is great. But not worth another 25k to me. I know the sound can be fixed, but the 981 has the purer sound even after the 718 has had a full exhaust (another 6k). 981 will be a rarer car as well, only made for 2 years. Shouldn't be saying this. Everyone go buy the 718 🤣
Haha, yeah I think on the sound you may have a point (although you guys do have more restrictions than us, unfortunately :(), but it does not have the rest of the benefits that the GT4 and Spyder received this time around. Full front clip from the GT3, including the front axle and brakes. The GT4 benefits from 50% more aero than the 981 GT4, but of course, some of that is from the spoiler which the Spyder does not have, so I am not sure honestly what just the underneath aero improvements are between the 981 and 982. The 982 Spyder produces its peak torque at a wider and higher band. Peak HP is in a higher band, while also having 40 more HP.

So I think at the end of the day, I agree with you that its probably not "worth" 25k more, but you will be able to build the technically better car on paper new to your spec, and you can't do that anymore with the 981. I also believe that in the long run, people will look at the 982 and see the larger displacement, more power, newer generation and give it higher resale compared to the 981 but that's all speculation. You really can't go wrong with the 981 either though, and for the right price, I think you have a killer car.

SteveB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Totally had planned an M4 for my next car. Wouldn’t have even shipped another brand. And then “that” happened. Destruction of the BMW design on a scale that has never been seen before. Beaver teeth. Unforgivable

Same for me. Was originally thinking of an M4 for my next car then BMW totally ruined it. No way I’m going to buy a car I would be embarrassed to be seen in. Then Lotus announced the Emira with comparable performance and absolutely stunning looks - no contest really.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I would probably go backwards if no Emira. I want an NSX but that's out of my range. Therefore maybe a Porsche 944 or an Evora.

spice

Reaction score
I’m going to run this B25 alongside the Emira , it’s actually a better car than my 981 Spyder that I had , the 4.0 engine really is impressive , sounds fantastic and delivers its 400hp beautifully .

Attachments

• EE20EA4C-A0F7-4FC7-8E1F-EFED00AA5154.jpeg
    EE20EA4C-A0F7-4FC7-8E1F-EFED00AA5154.jpeg
    559.1 KB · Views: 47

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone here had a 718 or 981 spyder?
I can't stop looking at them whilst waiting for June....
Yep, had mine for about a year now and it’s everything I hoped it would be. I haven’t decided whether I’ll keep it when my numbers called but it certainly keeps me entertained while I wait.

81BE0FA0-1E3B-4479-B315-963A3BA9A9DE.jpeg

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I put deposit on a C8 Z06 about 18 months ago and my dealer wants me to donate 50k to their charity fund in addition to MSRP.

Is this serious? and how much was the deposit if I may ask?

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If the Emiras drive doesn’t excite I’ll be stumped what to get as don’t want to spend an arm & leg just for a car for W/e driving. Also I don’t want a big car else I would just of got another 21 plate G82 M3 / M4 for circa £70k. Has anyone drove an Alpine A110 you can get 21 from circa £55k are these FUN to drive ? I think they look Ok and you definitely don’t see many of them on the road …..
5C6F2EE7-7500-48CD-A4B0-B737E1A834E5.jpeg

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have ordered GR Corolla Circuit edition, I hope/expect deliver after the Emira is due. I decided I need a daily drive and will leave the Emira for high days, holidays and track days.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have ordered GR Corolla Circuit edition, I hope/expect deliver after the Emira is due. I decided I need a daily drive and will leave the Emira for high days, holidays and track days.
Looks like they stole the Evora's tail pipe and bolted it in too! ;)

gr-corolla-pipes.png

What's the cost down under for one of these?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

What was the price of the car if I may ask?