I4 Turbo Trans Update

Before any of these updates — upshifts were fast so long as on throttle. Downshifts were pretty slow. The most annoying part imho is not the response to the paddle pull, it’s that the downshift safety margin on what is allowed was super conservative. Meaning they if a downshift were to put you within 2500 rpm of redline most of the times it simply wouldn’t execute the downshift. I never quite nailed what that margin was but it was really annoying.
 
My real only gripe is the time delay between selecting a downshift, and the shift actually happening. Upshifts are great...and all the low speed choppiness coming in and out of 1st and 2nd gear (lurching, etc.) I can easily drive around. Does your car have pretty instant downshifts from the time of selecting to it actually happening? I just plan for the downshifts slightly ahead of when they need to happen, we're talking half a second not long but enough to notice
My downshifts feel pretty instantaneous. Next time we catch up, take mine for a spin. I do get the occasional "lurching" but not really a big deal. Also, I feel I can minimize the lurching in manual mode.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kaz
oh maybe you did then get the infamous transmission update, or your car already had it
 
Keep in mind that a DCT has your current gear and then either the higher or lower gear engaged at once. Based on what you are doing, the computer tries to guess which you will use next. If it guesses right, the shifts will be near instantaneous as it simply switches clutches. If it guesses wrong, there will be a delay as it selects that gear.

For instance, if you are accelerating, it probably has the next higher gear selected, but if you then downshift to get more power, there will be more of a delay.

The AMG transmission seems about as fast as any other DCT I've driven. I never drove the early version before the updates though so not sure how much faster it has gotten. If they can knock a few milliseconds off with another software update though, might as well. I'm waiting on doing those other recent updates until the supposed big transmission update is available.

I also wouldn't say my car has any issues with low speed smoothness, at least with the throttle. It's certainly not electric car smooth, but definitely on the smoother end for a DCT. Some of the earlier ones were tricky. Again though, If they can smooth it out more with a software update, might as well.

My only real drivability complaint is the really high initial bite of the brakes. Together with the strong brake return spring, it's really hard to be smooth with low speed braking. I'll swap to a more tame pad when these are done, but for now, I take it as a training exercise.
 
My car is at Galpin and they ran latest check, mine only shows the VDDM and tail light harness updates. I did do a bunch of updates late last year but nothing really changed on the transmission front. Definitely report back if you feel a noticeable change in downshift speed and low speed smoothness. Maybe the campaigns are rolled out in sequence in batches of cars? (probably not)
The 25 vs 26 in the update code indicate year. I as told by Cape Fear Lotus the updates are recorded and sent back to Lotus. You could probably check the list of updates (completed and available) against your VIN
 
The 26 DCT update for olders models has not rolled out yet per Lotus Engineering.
 
@kitkat -Meaning a fabrication? Value your further opinion...

Yeah sorry unfortunately the way you prompted it within the context of DCT updates likely lead to a total fabrication. It's unlikely we'll know without service notes on exactly what was changed and often this isn't in release notes for technicians and much more vague.
 
Was this intel relayed to you by the dealer or someone else?
I just had my car serviced today and all the s/w updates done that were available. No DCT update was part of it.
 
Was this intel relayed to you by the dealer or someone else?
When I had tire issue with my first week of ownership, the regional lotus engineer called me directly. We now have a good relationship and will call him when an issue arises, which hasnt been many. Our last convo is that Lotus Corporate is trying to decide whether or not to offer the 26 dct flash to older models for FREE or charge for the upgrade. I was told that we will know in March of 26......it is now that time and I havent heard back from him of late - my dealer has no info on that upgrade.

Curious is if any 26 dct variants have been delivered and what there take is on the tranny??
 
I just had my car serviced today and all the s/w updates done that were available. No DCT update was part of it.
But you're in the UK so may not apply to the 360hp i4s.
 
In for yearly service. These are the updates.
IMG_4361.webp
 
Last edited:
These are the updates.
So a Telematics update and the Tail lamp fix (from Jan. 2025 reporting) for 2026 so far?

..of course for me its the whole list because my last update was March 2025....
 
I just got called that my updated tail light harness is in, will go to dealership next week to get it installed and see if there are any other updates to apply
 
So a Telematics update and the Tail lamp fix (from Jan. 2025 reporting) for 2026 so far?

..of course for me its the whole list because my last update was March 2025....
Yeah it’s the entire list for me too. Will pick it up on Monday.
 
Ok, so based on the list @MajHall04 (don't ask me how many times I just typed the word "list" - thank you Friday evening and Lark brewery) for your mot recent updates - I see VDDM, CEM, TEM and the Tail Light fix. However, is the first line item, QBS-131-25010, a VDDM update too, or some things else?
 
Just put it out already I'll pay if I have too. That said it seems pretty crisp too me. Also really digging the paddle shifters upgrade I picked up thru GRP.
 
Last edited:
I can confirm that after the updates.. The KEF system does sound like it has a little more bass and the soundstage seems to be a little more elevated and centered
I just discovered something that greatly improved the Keff sound system in my 2024 i4. Initially before the change, there was poor quality when speaker volume was a bit higher with the sub starting to flutter. However, after going into settings and dialing up the Master volume from 50% to 80%, the amplifier watts seemed to increase and all the mids, lowes and tweeter were all ampliied without sounding poor. I realized at 50% , it was not pushing all the power it was meant to handle.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top