I4 Turbo Trans Update

The Touring/Sport/Track modes don’t affect the power output of the engine.
Hhhhhhhmmmmm, they do.

Look for the "Driving Modes" sticky here on the forum that explains all the differences. Or even simpler, run out to you Emira, fire it up and toggle between modes and watch the screen. It highlights the differences as you toggle, "power" being one of them.
 
Look for the "Driving Modes" sticky here on the forum that explains all the differences. Or even simpler, run out to you Emira, fire it up and toggle between modes and watch the screen. It highlights the differences as you toggle, "power" being one of them.
The modes change the rev limit and the gear change up on automatics. It also changes the throttle response. It depends if you count any of that as "increasing power"?

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/...and-lotus-dynamic-performance-management.288/ <-- this post is quite old pre-dating the production cars, it may not be fully correct.

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/...sion-etc-for-tracday-project.7750/post-201297

Edit: forgot it also changes the throttle response. Thanks F1SML8R.
 
Last edited:
It changes throttle response, shift points and overall engine ECU maps within each mode. Another way to illustrate this is to try the following:

1) Launch the car in all three modes, see which one yields the fastest acceleration.
2) The real test, run laps on a track in all three modes within the the same session. Track mode should yield the fastest lap.

Assuming you don't have other variables come into play, the same driver should yield incrementally better times (in the suggested tests above) in each mode. So yeah, it manages/restrains how the maximum power is deployed. Said another way, it absolutely affects the "power output" through-out the full RPM range.

BTW, look at your screen when you toggle, there's a reason "powertrain" has a dedicated category on the screen. It's because the engine management process is materially different across all three modes (as are traction control forgiveness, exhaust valve behavior).
 
It's because the engine management process is materially different across all three modes (as are traction control forgiveness, exhaust valve behavior).
Can you provide some detail of how the "ECU maps" and "the engine management process" differs for each of these modes? I've never seen this mentioned before.
 
Last edited:
Can you provide some detail of how the "ECU maps" and "the engine management process" differs for each of these modes? I've never seen this mentioned before.
Just literally drive the car in all three modes. The throttle response is the most obvious difference (it's driven by an ECU throttle map, that's what "drive by wore" means). Shifting behavior is another obvious one. These modes are all defined by separate sub-sets of maps for each mode. Again, the most obvious way to "feel" the diff. will be to jam on the gas in Touring then jam on the gas in Track mode. The differences in how the ECU manages in each of these modes has got to be obvious even to the most "non-driver" driver.
 
Just literally drive the car in all three modes. The throttle response is the most obvious difference (it's driven by an ECU throttle map, that's what "drive by wore" means). Shifting behaviour is another obvious one. These modes are all defined by separate sub-sets of maps for each mode. Again, the most obvious way to "feel" the diff. will be to jam on the gas in Touring then jam on the gas in Track mode. The differences in how the ECU manages in each of these modes has got to be obvious even to the most "non-driver" driver.
I have driven the car in all three modes. I can feel the difference in throttle response, but that's just the pedal opening the throttle quicker, same as just being more heavy footed. I can't feel any difference in power though - my `bum-dyno` must not be very accurate.

I have a manual not an auto so shifting behaviour does not affect me. Of course, a higher shift point does has no effect on actual engine power and torque.

I'm still interested that "these modes are all defined by separate sub-sets of maps for each mode", I'm never seen anything about this - can you provide details of this?
 
Last edited:
I have driven the car in all three modes. I can feel the difference in throttle response, but that's just the pedal opening the throttle quicker, same as just being more heavy footed. I can't feel any difference in power though - my `bum-dyno` must not be very accurate.

I have a manual not an auto so shifting behaviour does not affect me. Of course, a higher shift point does has no effect on actual engine power and torque.

I'm still interested that "these modes are all defined by separate sub-sets of maps for each mode", I'm never seen anything about this - can you provide details of this?
It's not simply heavy footed. The Throttle curve is different so you're getting different response at the same position. The DCT map will delay upshift and downshift earlier to keep the rpm in the peak torque range as long as possible. You can feel the throttle curve difference in the V6 but the more aggressive upshift and downshift is only on the DCT (maybe on the Auto too but I have not driven one).
 
It's not simply heavy footed. The Throttle curve is different so you're getting different response at the same position.
Maybe I didn't explain what I meant very well. I meant in Touring you need to press the pedal down X to get the throttle open to a set position, in Sport you need to press the pedal Y to the throttle open to a the same position, where Y is less than X. But you can get the same throttle position in both modes you just need to press the pedal more in one mode.
This will affect the responsiveness of the car for sure - but does not affect the power output which will be the same at the same throttle position.
Maybe I'm talking about power as a function of the engine; torque and revs. Maybe others are meaning a more "seat of the pants" power where responsiveness may feel like the car is more powerful.
 
Maybe I didn't explain what I meant very well. I meant in Touring you need to press the pedal down X to get the throttle open to a set position, in Sport you need to press the pedal Y to the throttle open to a the same position, where Y is less than X. But you can get the same throttle position in both modes you just need to press the pedal more in one mode.
This will affect the responsiveness of the car for sure - but does not affect the power output which will be the same at the same throttle position.
Maybe I'm talking about power as a function of the engine; torque and revs. Maybe others are meaning a more "seat of the pants" power where responsiveness may feel like the car is more powerful.

The power of the car remains unchanged in all mode, it's just the throttle position mapping,.
 
I think I have dynos somewhere when my was car was getting tuned, max boost is highest in track mode and it made the most power in that mode - I'll ask and get details
 
Back on the topic here - I am not happy with the performance of mine either, to the original point, anything near half throttle in Sport mode pins the rpms and holds that gear for about 5 seconds...it is annoying, and I supposedly have the latest software as I just picked up my car on Feb 1st 2026. The other equally annoying thing is the shift delay from Reverse to Neutral to Drive, it takes a solid second to 2 seconds for each step, while parking or trying to leave a parking spot, you can feel the tension of people as you wait on the car to shift gears so you can get out of their way!
 
Has anyone driven the 26 i4 that can confirm that the transmission shifts has actually improved?
Mine is a 2026, picked it up Feb 1, 2026. I have many of the issues addressed in this thread! I would like to confirm whether my dealer actually performed the updates. Is there a way to confirm or see what's pending/available for your VIN?
 
Where are you getting this? Is there a site online where we can run our VIN and see what's available? Thanks :)
my Lotus tech at dealer ran a scan connected to the Lotus tool, there is no external website for this information (unless you possess a Lotus or similar service scanner and access to the portal). But the mythical "big update" that aligns our cars with the Mercedes recent updates has not been released
 
my Lotus tech at dealer ran a scan connected to the Lotus tool, there is no external website for this information (unless you possess a Lotus or similar service scanner and access to the portal). But the mythical "big update" that aligns our cars with the Mercedes recent updates has not been released
Thanks, Kaz! Keep me posted my dealer is a bit unique and I am not sure they are up to speed on all of this stuff lol
 
Thanks, Kaz! Keep me posted my dealer is a bit unique and I am not sure they are up to speed on all of this stuff lol
Supposedly the 2026 has the updates/improvements to the DCT from the factory. I'm considering a 2026 right now, and it's concerning that you're still having these issues on a 2026.
 
Supposedly the 2026 has the updates/improvements to the DCT from the factory. I'm considering a 2026 right now, and it's concerning that you're still having these issues on a 2026.
I think the updates we need are the Mercedes-AMG updates we do not yet have.
 
Supposedly the 2026 has the updates/improvements to the DCT from the factory. I'm considering a 2026 right now, and it's concerning that you're still having these issues on a 2026.
My dealer is going to hook me up next week to the Lotus Mothership and let the PC do its thing to see if there are any updates I am missing. He said it's pretty much an automated process, but updates can take a long time if needed, so I am just going to leave it there for a day.
 
My dealer is going to hook me up next week to the Lotus Mothership and let the PC do its thing to see if there are any updates I am missing. He said it's pretty much an automated process, but updates can take a long time if needed, so I am just going to leave it there for a day.
Will be very interesting to see if anything changes with the DCT.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top