Drive Modes explained and Lotus Dynamic Performance Management

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A few questions have come up about traction control, sport mode versus sports suspension and what the Track mode in the Drivers Pack does. Here's an overview and links to more details.

First, to clear up one area of confusion. The Emira has two suspension options, Touring and Sports. There are also two (of four) Drive modes called Touring and Sport. Although confusingly these use the same naming, suspension and driving mode are completely separate. The suspension is passive and switching the driving mode doesn't change anything about the suspension.

If you're familiar with the Evora, Exige V6 or post-2011 Elise models with Sport Pack then you may know something about Lotus Dynamic Performance Management or DPM. On those cars it's seen as a "Sport" and "Traction Control" button or as a switch with Tour, Sport and Race settings.

DPM will be a feature on all Emiras regardless of engine, transmission or suspension choices. It includes three modes: Tour, Sport and Off. The extra "Track" drive mode is included as part of the Drivers Pack, which is bundled with the other packs on the First Edition cars. Some features of DPM, notably Launch Control, are only available on auto and DCT transmissions and not on the manual.

The Drive Mode switch is located on the driver's side just ahead of the gear selector:

Drive mode V6 LHD close up.jpeg

Drive mode i4 RHD close up.jpg

The driving mode affects the following attributes:
  • Engine maximum rev limit
  • Throttle progression
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving
  • Launch control (auto and DCT only)
  • DPM characteristics - more on this below
The car starts up in Tour. The mode switch is used to select Sport. If it's like the V6 Exige then selecting Track will require holding the mode switch for a few seconds and various warning lights will stay on in the driver display (you'll also get the option of the track version of the driver display).

Turning everything off will require signing a disclaimer, passing the Lotus Driving Academy and holding down several buttons in a complicated sequence while saying three times "I won't sue Lotus if I crash" 😨 Only kidding! It will require a further long hold on the mode button and lots of warning lights.

Turning off the ignition will revert to Tour. This will be annoying for some people, who would like to leave the car in Sport as the default. The muted exhaust note on startup will soon remind you to flick the mode switch ;)

Here's what happens in each of the driving modes.

1. TOUR
  • Engine maximum rev limit: normal
  • Throttle progression: normal
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: closed at idle, opens at high throttle load or above 4000rpm
  • Launch control (auto and DCT only): not available
  • DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition on, managed Slip Threshold

2. SPORT
  • Engine maximum rev limit: +200rpm
  • Throttle progression: increased
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: open at idle (yay!), opens from low throttle load/rpm and is fully open above 3000rpm
  • Launch control (auto and DCT only): available
  • DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition reduced, increased Slip Threshold and increased yaw angle available

3. TRACK (for cars with Drivers Pack, including First Edition)
  • Throttle progression: optimum
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: open at idle +200rpm, opens from low throttle load/rpm and is fully open above 3000rpm
  • DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition off, ESP intervention level increased to high, traction control system calculates available grip and optimises torque to maintain grip and minimise understeer

4. OFF
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: open at idle +200rpm, opens from low throttle load/rpm and is fully open above 3000rpm
  • DPM characteristics: traction control and ESP completely switched off
Note that ABS remains active in all driving modes.

The DPM system has been developed jointly by Lotus and Bosch over many hours of development and testing. Tour is intended to keep you safe in almost all road conditions without intervening in an intrusive manner during regular driving. If you hit a patch of oil on a roundabout exit while trying to boot it then it'll give you a decent chance of avoiding a slide or spin. Sport gives the exhaust a chance to sing at lower revs and will allow some sideways action before helping you out. You also get launch control.

Track mode (Race mode on the V6 Exige) is basically witchcraft: it allows you to bury the throttle as you get to the apex of a corner and the system will work out how much torque can be applied without breaking traction or oversteering. On a typical UK track this can save you 0.5-1.0s per lap depending on your level of talent and the track conditions.

To learn more about DPM here is a link to a great article on The Lotus Forums about DPM on the V6 Exige from 2015 by Lotus Vehicle Dynamics Manager Ross Restell. This includes video footage of a V6 Exige being driven round the Lotus Hethel test track in each of the driving modes:

This write up is based on features for UK-spec cars. I've no info suggesting there are changes for other markets but it's possible some local restrictions may apply. For example exhaust valve opening may be more restricted- although the defaulting to Tour on startup should satisfy most requirements.

#forthedrivers

Lotus Emira on track.jpg

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Great overview @TomE! So there's no way to default to start up in sport mode? Is there a way to do it in the Evoras? I remember the cold start-up exhaust note sounding rather aggressive in the Evora GT.

One of the many things I love about my VW is a little device called Obdeleven (and also Carista). In the VW/Audio work, owners can plug this small Bluetooth device in and check/clear codes, read/log real-time stats, and make all sorts of little changes to how the car is programed from the factory. Including adjusting default modes, how the traction control button responds to various presses, digital screen readouts, various lighting and audio settings, etc. Does anything like that exist for Lotus?

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Great overview @TomE! So there's no way to default to start up in sport mode? Is there a way to do it in the Evoras? I remember the cold start-up exhaust note sounding rather aggressive in the Evora GT.

One of the many things I love about my VW is a little device called Obdeleven (and also Carista). In the VW/Audio work, owners can plug this small Bluetooth device in and check/clear codes, read/log real-time stats, and make all sorts of little changes to how the car is programed from the factory. Including adjusting default modes, how the traction control button responds to various presses, digital screen readouts, various lighting and audio settings, etc. Does anything like that exist for Lotus?
The Evora starts up without sport mode by default. Pressing it is part of my routine!

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
These nannying safety things do annoy me... I know it's not much, but every time you get in YOUR car #annoying
I agree, it would be nice if all settings etc can be remembered.

My wife had a 3 series that used to forget the climate control settings every time we started up. That annoyed me.

The sport button is only a little press, but....

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, there are multiple devices that allow changing these sort of things in the VW, Toyota, BMW, Nissan world. Nothing like that for Lotus? I can literally set my individual heated seats to be remembered and at what setting and for how long after ignition off. Seems like a simple setting adjustment.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Again, there are multiple devices that allow changing these sort of things in the VW, Toyota, BMW, Nissan world. Nothing like that for Lotus? I can literally set my individual heated seats to be remembered and at what setting and for how long after ignition off. Seems like a simple setting adjustment.
Times are a changing. My Toyota safety settings can't be changed. Plus hazards come on when braking not very hard... and even tho abs isn't triggered

Rob

Reaction score
A few questions have come up about traction control, sport mode versus sports suspension and what the Track mode in the Drivers Pack does. Here's an overview and links to more details.

First, to clear up one area of confusion. The Emira has two suspension options, Touring and Sports. There are also two (of four) Drive modes called Touring and Sport. Although confusingly these use the same naming, suspension and driving mode are completely separate. The suspension is passive and switching the driving mode doesn't change anything about the suspension.

If you're familiar with the Evora, Exige V6 or post-2011 Elise models with Sport Pack then you may know something about Lotus Dynamic Performance Management or DPM. On those cars it's seen as a "Sport" and "Traction Control" button or as a switch with Tour, Sport and Race settings.

DPM will be a feature on all Emiras regardless of engine, transmission or suspension choices. It includes three modes: Tour, Sport and Off. The extra "Track" drive mode is included as part of the Drivers Pack, which is bundled with the other packs on the First Edition cars. Some features of DPM, notably Launch Control, are only available on auto and DCT transmissions and not on the manual.

The Drive Mode switch is located on the driver's side just ahead of the gear selector:

View attachment 698

View attachment 697

• Throttle progression
The car starts up in Tour. The mode switch is used to select Sport. If it's like the V6 Exige then selecting Track will require holding the mode switch for a few seconds and various warning lights will stay on in the driver display (you'll also get the option of the track version of the driver display).

Turning everything off will require signing a disclaimer, passing the Lotus Driving Academy and holding down several buttons in a complicated sequence while saying three times "I won't sue Lotus if I crash" 😨 Only kidding! It will require a further long hold on the mode button and lots of warning lights.

Turning off the ignition will revert to Tour. This will be annoying for some people, who would like to leave the car in Sport as the default. The muted exhaust note on startup will soon remind you to flick the mode switch ;)

1. TOUR
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: closed at idle, opens at high throttle load or above 4000rpm

2. SPORT
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: open at idle (yay!), opens from low throttle load/rpm and is fully open above 3000rpm
  • DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition reduced, increased Slip Threshold and increased yaw angle available

• DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition off, ESP intervention level increased to high, traction control system calculates available grip and optimises torque to maintain grip and minimise understeer

4. OFF

The DPM system has been developed jointly by Lotus and Bosch over many hours of development and testing. Tour is intended to keep you safe in almost all road conditions without intervening in an intrusive manner during regular driving. If you hit a patch of oil on a roundabout exit while trying to boot it then it'll give you a decent chance of avoiding a slide or spin. Sport gives the exhaust a chance to sing at lower revs and will allow some sideways action before helping you out. You also get launch control.

Track mode (Race mode on the V6 Exige) is basically witchcraft: it allows you to bury the throttle as you get to the apex of a corner and the system will work out how much torque can be applied without breaking traction or oversteering. On a typical UK track this can save you 0.5-1.0s per lap depending on your level of talent and the track conditions.

To learn more about DPM here is a link to a great article on The Lotus Forums about DPM on the V6 Exige from 2015 by Lotus Vehicle Dynamics Manager Ross Restell. This includes video footage of a V6 Exige being driven round the Lotus Hethel test track in each of the driving modes:

This write up is based on features for UK-spec cars. I've no info suggesting there are changes for other markets but it's possible some local restrictions may apply. For example exhaust valve opening may be more restricted- although the defaulting to Tour on startup should satisfy most requirements.

#forthedrivers

View attachment 699
Thanks TomE appreciate all the info, you’re doing more work than my dealer currently 😁, I’ll Be interested to see if LC remains active for the Australian market, I think the Mustang has to have LC disabled for our market so assume it’s not legal. Anyone know? I personally wouldn’t use it. Mine will stay in normal mode when I’m commuting and sport when I go for the coffee run in the mountains to remind myself I’m really not a very good driver!

Last edited:
OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You can plug in to the OBD2 port on Evoras (and I assume on Emiras) to read error codes and reset some of them, but not to change any settings. It's not been a Lotus thing. I guess possibly with the new HCI you may be able to change some settings via the touchscreen.

I think the defaulting to Tour is to do with safety and regulations (noise, emissions).

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Are the modes also confirmed for Germany? +200 RMP idle doesn‘t sound like it‘s meeting all our requirements and restrictions 😅 regarding that: does anybody know if the sound of the grey V6 Prototype is the same as for the Production cars hitting Germany/Europe? It sounds quite loud for a 2022 car.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm not aware of any regional variations to the modes and it's supposed to be standardised worldwide. I believe the default of Touring on start up and then having to select Sport each time means it meets the requirements.

The grey V6 dynamic prototype isn't quite the production exhaust but I'm told the sound is very close to what's intended in Sport, with the exhaust valve open at lower revs. In Touring it'll be more muted at low revs.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can anybody maybe draw a comparison to the Evora 400 regarding engine sound? It would be great if the Emira could keep up with the Evora, which to me sounds absolutely brilliant. It‘s a pity that it‘s not allowed anymore to have the flaps open all the time, but maybe the sound is comparable under load and higher revs.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any regional variations to the modes and it's supposed to be standardised worldwide. I believe the default of Touring on start up and then having to select Sport each time means it meets the requirements.

The grey V6 dynamic prototype isn't quite the production exhaust but I'm told the sound is very close to what's intended in Sport, with the exhaust valve open at lower revs. In Touring it'll be more muted at low revs.
The car is supposed to be standardised worldwide but it seems we’ve already got power variations if Lotus’ customer services are correct so who knows what else will be different.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Times are a changing. My Toyota safety settings can't be changed. Plus hazards come on when braking not very hard... and even tho abs isn't triggered
Indeed, and, at least in the GR Yaris, the worst offender as far as I am concerned is PCS. Forget to switch that off, and it triggers at the most inopportune moment, which can be quite dangerous...

So far, I am not aware of any Lotus that has been impacted by anything like the above. Hope that continues to be the case.

Excellent explanation TomE. (y)

Good to know where, and how, DPM differs from LTC as found in the Series 2 Exige.

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Indeed, and, at least in the GR Yaris, the worst offender as far as I am concerned is PCS. Forget to switch that off, and it triggers at the most inopportune moment, which can be quite dangerous...

So far, I am not aware of any Lotus that has been impacted by anything like the above. Hope that continues to be the case.

Excellent explanation TomE. (y)

Good to know where, and how, DPM differs from LTC as found in the Series 2 Exige.
The closest I come to crashing the Yaris is when turning the lane assist off. Just as im setting off when I should be concentrating on maneuvering. Plus purposely not braking hard as I could as don't want to trigger the hazards with other cars around me. It actually really peeves me off now

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

View attachment 698

View attachment 697

• Throttle progression

1. TOUR

2. SPORT

4. OFF

#forthedrivers

View attachment 699
Thank you again Tom. I learned a great deal about the Emira by reading this.

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thank you again Tom. I learned a great deal about the Emira by reading this.

View attachment 698

View attachment 697

• Throttle progression

1. TOUR

2. SPORT

4. OFF

#forthedrivers

View attachment 699
Tom this is very helpful. Do you or anyone else know the gearbox settings on the i4 and particularly can it be set to remain in ‘manual‘ paddle operation rather than reverting to automatic gear changes if you don’t touch the paddles for x seconds.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've not had anything confirmed about the i4 gearbox. As posed above, I think the DPM modes will be the same for i4 as for V6, as the spec document mentions launch control being available on the V6 auto and i4 DCT but not the V6 manual, so I assume the rest of the document applies to all variants.

I would expect the i4 DCT to have a fully auto mode and a manual paddle mode. I think it's likely they'd make it consistent with the V6 auto operation, which will let you do a manual change using the paddles in Tour mode but it then reverts to auto changing if you don't touch the paddles in the next 10-20 seconds. In Sport mode it starts in auto but if you use the paddles then it stays in manual until you switch it back to auto. But I may be wrong and there may just be a switch between auto and manual (although I've not seen one on the console).

ADC

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've not had anything confirmed about the i4 gearbox. As posed above, I think the DPM modes will be the same for i4 as for V6, as the spec document mentions launch control being available on the V6 auto and i4 DCT but not the V6 manual, so I assume the rest of the document applies to all variants.

I would expect the i4 DCT to have a fully auto mode and a manual paddle mode. I think it's likely they'd make it consistent with the V6 auto operation, which will let you do a manual change using the paddles in Tour mode but it then reverts to auto changing if you don't touch the paddles in the next 10-20 seconds. In Sport mode it starts in auto but if you use the paddles then it stays in manual until you switch it back to auto. But I may be wrong and there may just be a switch between auto and manual (although I've not seen one on the console).
Whereas using the paddles will temporarily override auto mode, toggling between auto and manual more is usually done via the shifter knob, in my experience (on Mon Lotus vehicles)