Drive Modes explained and Lotus Dynamic Performance Management

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Touring suspension car I drove only had two modes, Tour and Sport available, not Track. The Sport spec car I drove had all three modes available. LCC have not provided complete clarity on this but are leaning towards if you order Touring Spec then you don’t get the Track mode / Drivers pack, even if it’s an FE.
Can any forum members who have a Touring suspension set up let us know if you have Track mode available? In Harry’s video released today he shows all three modes on the screen at one point and I understood he had gone for Touring spec.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The B&C demo car has Touring suspension and has Track mode, as I drove it in all 3 modes.

I believe some demo cars have a software fault.

Drivers Pack is what gives Track mode and that’s standard on all FE cars regardless of suspension. The Lotus website is very clear about it.

Several people have asked LCC to clarify this, as dealers and LCC have given contradictory info.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The lotus web site contradicts itself in places. Good to get confirmation that a touring spec car has been seen in the wild with all three modes. After all it’s just a software setting.

from the web site………

CHASSIS & SUSPENSION​

The car has two defined chassis and suspension settings.
Tour is tuned for everyday road use, delivering the optimum blend of Lotus dynamic performance and handling with a more comfortable ride.

Sports is available with the optional Lotus Drivers Pack and provides a slightly stiffer suspension set-up for enhanced dynamic capability and feel. Lotus Engineering departments have worked with both Michelin and Goodyear to develop 2 new tyre concepts that are larger than those of Evora and bespoke for the Lotus Emira. Goodyear tyres enhance all weather usability and ride quality without compromising driving feedback whilst the Michelin tyres achieve extreme track performance without compromising comfor

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
After all it’s just a software setting.

Classic Lotus. They did something similar with the power folding mirrors on the Evoras. All came with them, but only those who paid for the feature would be able to use them after a simple switch was installed.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Didn’t Harry switch his car from sports to tour suspension ?

He seems to have track mode showing on his video

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Didn’t Harry switch his car from sports to tour suspension ?

He seems to have track mode showing on his video
You can’t switch. It’s bought as either Tour or Sport suspension. Track mode is about stability control and engine / exhaust settings.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You can’t switch. It’s bought as either Tour or Sport suspension. Track mode is about stability control and engine / exhaust settings.
No. After his original drive in the demo cars , didn’t he mentioned that he may change his order to tour suspension

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes, he changed his order to Touring and his latest video showed all three drive modes available.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The B&C demo car has Touring suspension and has Track mode, as I drove it in all 3 modes.

I believe some demo cars have a software fault.

Drivers Pack is what gives Track mode and that’s standard on all FE cars regardless of suspension. The Lotus website is very clear about it.

Several people have asked LCC to clarify this, as dealers and LCC have given contradictory info.
All customer cars with Drivers Pack (ie all FEs) have Track mode regardless of suspension choice.

Some demo cars have a software fault and some have had it disabled.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry, I should have closed off my question from above. LCC had confirmed back to me that all three modes come with the driver pack on all FE cars.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So no track mode gauge cluster unless one opts for the driver's pack? That's a shame... It's pretty cool.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The gauge cluster is linked to the drive mode, so no Track mode means no Track gauges.

I do wonder if Lotus will release some more gauge options in future and make it selectable, like the mid-screen widgets. I'd like to see some analogue gauges as an option.

JPSpecial

Reaction score
Could be worth mentioning that the Evora DPM works differently in Race mode to the Exige, assuming the Emira Track mode is similar to the Evora. The Exige starts loose and reins the car in using a feedback loop between the various sensors and the ecu and keeps going until it's optimised for a given track surface. This is the way in which it 'learns' how much grip the car has on any given combination of track, weather and tyre. The fastest way to get it working in an Exige is by exceeding the limits of grip. An oversteer 'moment' in other words which could potentially catch out the unwary. This is why the warning light comes on and it's not intended for use on the road. The Evora and presumably Emira works the other way around. It starts assuming there's not much grip and gradually loosens up. I suspect this means it takes longer (as in a few more laps) to optimise the torque for the available grip. I believe you have to go through this process again if you switch the car off. Great system though, still one of the best out there.

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A few questions have come up about traction control, sport mode versus sports suspension and what the Track mode in the Drivers Pack does. Here's an overview and links to more details.

First, to clear up one area of confusion. The Emira has two suspension options, Touring and Sports. There are also two (of four) Drive modes called Touring and Sport. Although confusingly these use the same naming, suspension and driving mode are completely separate. The suspension is passive and switching the driving mode doesn't change anything about the suspension.

If you're familiar with the Evora, Exige V6 or post-2011 Elise models with Sport Pack then you may know something about Lotus Dynamic Performance Management or DPM. On those cars it's seen as a "Sport" and "Traction Control" button or as a switch with Tour, Sport and Race settings.

DPM will be a feature on all Emiras regardless of engine, transmission or suspension choices. It includes three modes: Tour, Sport and Off. The extra "Track" drive mode is included as part of the Drivers Pack, which is bundled with the other packs on the First Edition cars. Some features of DPM, notably Launch Control, are only available on auto and DCT transmissions and not on the manual.

The Drive Mode switch is located on the driver's side just ahead of the gear selector:

View attachment 698

View attachment 697

The driving mode affects the following attributes:
  • Engine maximum rev limit
  • Throttle progression
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving
  • Launch control (auto and DCT only)
  • DPM characteristics - more on this below
The car starts up in Tour. The mode switch is used to select Sport. If it's like the V6 Exige then selecting Track will require holding the mode switch for a few seconds and various warning lights will stay on in the driver display (you'll also get the option of the track version of the driver display).

Turning everything off will require signing a disclaimer, passing the Lotus Driving Academy and holding down several buttons in a complicated sequence while saying three times "I won't sue Lotus if I crash" 😨 Only kidding! It will require a further long hold on the mode button and lots of warning lights.

Turning off the ignition will revert to Tour. This will be annoying for some people, who would like to leave the car in Sport as the default. The muted exhaust note on startup will soon remind you to flick the mode switch ;)

Here's what happens in each of the driving modes.

1. TOUR
  • Engine maximum rev limit: normal
  • Throttle progression: normal
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: closed at idle, opens at high throttle load or above 4000rpm
  • Launch control (auto and DCT only): not available
  • DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition on, managed Slip Threshold

2. SPORT
  • Engine maximum rev limit: +200rpm
  • Throttle progression: increased
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: open at idle (yay!), opens from low throttle load/rpm and is fully open above 3000rpm
  • Launch control (auto and DCT only): available
  • DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition reduced, increased Slip Threshold and increased yaw angle available

3. TRACK (for cars with Drivers Pack, including First Edition)
  • Throttle progression: optimum
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: open at idle +200rpm, opens from low throttle load/rpm and is fully open above 3000rpm
  • DPM characteristics: Understeer Recognition off, ESP intervention level increased to high, traction control system calculates available grip and optimises torque to maintain grip and minimise understeer

4. OFF
  • Throttle progression: optimum
  • Exhaust valve behaviour at idle and when driving: open at idle +200rpm, opens from low throttle load/rpm and is fully open above 3000rpm
  • DPM characteristics: traction control and ESP completely switched off
Note that ABS remains active in all driving modes.

The DPM system has been developed jointly by Lotus and Bosch over many hours of development and testing. Tour is intended to keep you safe in almost all road conditions without intervening in an intrusive manner during regular driving. If you hit a patch of oil on a roundabout exit while trying to boot it then it'll give you a decent chance of avoiding a slide or spin. Sport gives the exhaust a chance to sing at lower revs and will allow some sideways action before helping you out. You also get launch control.

Track mode (Race mode on the V6 Exige) is basically witchcraft: it allows you to bury the throttle as you get to the apex of a corner and the system will work out how much torque can be applied without breaking traction or oversteering. On a typical UK track this can save you 0.5-1.0s per lap depending on your level of talent and the track conditions.

To learn more about DPM here is a link to a great article on The Lotus Forums about DPM on the V6 Exige from 2015 by Lotus Vehicle Dynamics Manager Ross Restell. This includes video footage of a V6 Exige being driven round the Lotus Hethel test track in each of the driving modes:

This write up is based on features for UK-spec cars. I've no info suggesting there are changes for other markets but it's possible some local restrictions may apply. For example exhaust valve opening may be more restricted- although the defaulting to Tour on startup should satisfy most requirements.

#forthedrivers

View attachment 699
Can somebody confirm if these informations are still correct, as the entry is from 2022? Especially the information for sport mode, that the exhaust valve is completely open in this mode? Thanks